This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub-22 sickle use question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub-22 sickle use question

Postby MiCarl » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:57 am

Our new homestead has a dirt road on one side. The grass and weeds along that road get very dusty and mowing it with the zero turn makes such a dust cloud that I cannot see what I'm doing. There is also a pretty steep 6" drop down to the road. There is a Cub-22 sickle for sale near me that I think would be just the trick for maintaining that.

Now for the question. There is an L shaped mound at the high corner of the lot that I believe is to divert run off. It's about 4' high and the sides are sloped at 30 degrees or more. I'm wondering if I could maintain that with a sickle mower by driving along the flat at the base with the mower running up that angle, or is the mower not designed to operate that way. I don't see anything in the manual about how level the ground needs to be when operating.

Thanks for input.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Cub-22 sickle use question

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:02 am

I think the Cub-22 is only designed to lift and mow about 10-15 degrees. The 105 highway mower would handle it, but they are few and far between.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:33 am

The difference being where the drive unit is located in relation to the fold/pivot point. On the Cub-22 the drive unit is fixed to the tractor and the sickle pivots separately, limiting the angle at which the bar can be used. On the 105 mower the drive unit is fixed to the sickle bar and pivots along with it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 am

As Bob said, the mower will complain well before it is up that far. It is a little more tolerant of sloping down. Is the mound big enough to run the tractor on top and put the bar down the slope? If it isn't, you may want to plant something that doesn't need mowing like flowers or shrubs.

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:53 am

Jim Becker wrote:As Bob said, the mower will complain well before it is up that far. It is a little more tolerant of sloping down. Is the mound big enough to run the tractor on top and put the bar down the slope? If it isn't, you may want to plant something that doesn't need mowing like flowers or shrubs.

While the tractor would run along the top one end is almost vertical so I'd have to back all the way off. Also I just planted spruce trees along the top as step 1 in eliminating the need to mow.

Thanks folks for the input. I'll just evaluate the purchase with trimming along the road in mind.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Return to “Farmall Cub”