This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wooden grass board same white as pitman?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stevetractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 International Cub

Wooden grass board same white as pitman?

Postby Stevetractor » Wed May 12, 2021 7:47 pm

So I’m making a new grass board for my recently restored Cub 22 mower. I downloaded the pattern from the PDF section. Got some nice maple lumber I cut off the farm to use. Anyway, I have pieces of what I believe to be an original one that was painted red in later years. Upon closer inspection, it looks to have been painted originally the same white as the pitman. All I’ve ever seen are done in the yellow ochre. Anyone ever seen an original in white? Later years? If it’s homemade they sure took care to keep it exactly as the original. Also what year did IH stop supplying the wood grass boards with new mowers? Thank you for your ideas and here’s a pic of the mower and my 55, Amelia, and my son at the wheel. He likes to mow.
Attachments
B913CF5F-A3C4-483E-8CBF-7A5B5CA2F01B.jpeg
B913CF5F-A3C4-483E-8CBF-7A5B5CA2F01B.jpeg (45.21 KiB) Viewed 226 times

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Wooden grass board same white as pitman?

Postby tst » Wed May 12, 2021 9:14 pm

ocra color, fancy word for like an industrial yellow
Attachments
gb2 (2).jpg

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed May 12, 2021 9:16 pm

the one you have is the correct replacement that was made, early 50s they went to the metal rods, and then the one you have is the last design with the reinforcement plate, they also have a decal that goes on that

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 12, 2021 9:55 pm

Stevetractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 International Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Thu May 13, 2021 1:53 am

Thank you for the replies. Yes I’ve got the steel one on there for decoration. Doesn’t work near as well as the wood boards. I’m leaning towards painting the wood board cream/white as Jim mentioned IH changed to in later years where it’s on a 55’ tractor. I assume they still used the McCormick decal? Thanks for your help.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu May 13, 2021 6:19 am

Stevetractor wrote:Thank you for the replies. Yes I’ve got the steel one on there for decoration. Doesn’t work near as well as the wood boards. I’m leaning towards painting the wood board cream/white as Jim mentioned IH changed to in later years where it’s on a 55’ tractor. I assume they still used the McCormick decal? Thanks for your help.

I could be wrong, but don't believe IHC used decals (as we know them today) on wood grassboards for the Cub-22 mower. Decals, in general, stick/adhere to metal very well; poorly on wood.

Have you done a general Google (or your favorite search engine) search for "Farmall Cub-22 grassboard" or similar? I did that then went to "Images" and had many results. All were ochre (mustard) yellow with black stenciled lettering.

Bottom line: It's your grassboard. Research it as much as you can, get a good idea of what you want, then paint it the color that makes you happy. I'm sure whatever color you go with will look good, just like your '55 Cub!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety