This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Cub comes home.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BucketHead
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01050
Tractors Owned: 1963 MF 202
1953 Super C
1949 Cub
1970 LoBoy 154
1949 M

New Cub comes home.

Postby BucketHead » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:34 pm

Last weekend I brought home a 1964 International Cub. I am honored to be the second owner. The Cub came from Maine, is equipped with a single point fast hitch, and has the following implements.. F-38 disc harrow, L-F11 2-way mold board plow, L-F1 platform carrier, snowplow, and a Mott FHC flail mower. Despite it resting in the barn for the past 16 years, I was able to get it running with very little work and drove it on to the trailer for its ride home. Over the next few weeks I'll go through it and replace all the fluids as well as the belts and hoses. The ignition system will also get a close inspection.

When I unloaded it my wife made a funny face and asked "why is it yellow?" After I explained why it was yellow, she just shook her head and said, "it should be red."

Sorry I was gone for so long(my last post was 10 years ago! Where does the time go?) but it's good to be back.
Karl

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Cub comes home.

Postby Stanton » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:30 am

BucketHead wrote:Last weekend I brought home a 1964 International Cub. I am honored to be the second owner. The Cub came from Maine, is equipped with a single point fast hitch, and has the following implements.. F-38 disc harrow, L-F11 2-way mold board plow, L-F1 platform carrier, snowplow, and a Mott FHC flail mower. Despite it resting in the barn for the past 16 years, I was able to get it running with very little work and drove it on to the trailer for its ride home. Over the next few weeks I'll go through it and replace all the fluids as well as the belts and hoses. The ignition system will also get a close inspection.

When I unloaded it my wife made a funny face and asked "why is it yellow?" After I explained why it was yellow, she just shook her head and said, "it should be red."

Sorry I was gone for so long(my last post was 10 years ago! Where does the time go?) but it's good to be back.

Congratulations, Karl. Glad to see you posting again!

How was the oil pressure when you first started it up?
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:42 pm

Lots of goodies with it.

Congrats!

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:40 pm

As is probably usually the case, your wife is right! Her comment reminded me of when my Grandpa brought a brochure home picturing the new paint. Supposedly I cried (I was at most 6 yrs. old). His Cub and the neighbors H's and M's were red, only color for a Farmall!

BucketHead
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01050
Tractors Owned: 1963 MF 202
1953 Super C
1949 Cub
1970 LoBoy 154
1949 M

Postby BucketHead » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:32 pm

When I initially offered to buy this Cub it was believed that it had only been sitting for a couple of years. As time went on and I got to talk to the actual owner it became clear that the tractor had been sitting for at least 10 years. So, after my offer was accepted, I planned for the worst when I made the 6 hour trek to get it. I brought all the tools, parts, and fluids that I thought I'd need to get it going.

When I got there I started by removing the hood, pulling the plugs and putting some MMO into the cylinders to soak a bit. I then checked the engine oil, air cleaner bowl, hydraulic fluid level, cleaned out the carb, blew back the fuel line, and replaced the battery.

With the plugs still removed, I bumped the starter and the engine turned right over. So, I reinstalled the plugs, replaced the hood, connected the fuel line and added some gas. With the key on I hit the starter and in under 10 seconds it was running.... Smoking pretty good as it burned off the MMO but running smooth. I immediately checked the oil pressure gauge and it was on the rise. It actually maxed out on the gauge (I figured the relief valve was stuck) but started to come down after about 5 minutes. Since then the needle sits firmly at about 3/4 of it travel.

I have to say, I was very surprised that I didn't need to prime the oil pump. I figured after sitting for 16 years all the oil would have run out of it. In the next few weeks I'll drain and replace all the fluids... Well see if fresh oil has an impact on my oil pressure.
Karl

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:11 pm

I had about the same thing with my '47. But I used transmission fluid and let it soak about a month while I was working on getting the front axle to move.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )