This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How would a 15 year old go about restoring his Grandfather's 1950 Cub?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How would a 15 year old go about restoring his Grandfather's 1950 Cub?

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:06 am

Clemsonfor wrote:If he lives in or around a city there is no shop or Ag classes. I went to High School over 20 years ago. Many years younger than most here but growing up in a city, there was no shop, wood or auto, and there was no Ag classes.
Chambers County Career Tech Center in Lafayette, AL 36862 ... Chambers County Career Tech Center is a public high school of the Chambers County School District located in Lafayette, AL.

I don't know what courses are offered at that career center or in the high school initial poster attends.

20 years ago when I taught high school shop, students wanting to attend vocational classes could attend Nichols Career Center, Jefferson City, Missouri.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:49 am

With all this talk of school, I believe you all chased Alex away!

It was already said once, but work at getting it to run!

I hope you have a mentor that will spend some time with you.

Hopefully with a big tool box full of tools! :)
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:47 am

Hi Alex. Welcome to the Forum!

I know you're in a hurry to getting your grandfather's Cub up and running, but take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

You mentioned manuals in another post, so now that you have more than 2 posts, you have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. In case you didn't know, there’s a few ways to access them:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

The best way to familiarize yourself with your grandfather's Cub is to read the Owner's Manual. Service manuals are also available.

For someone facing the overwhelming task of just trying to get a non-running Cub running, it comes down to this: fire, fuel, and compression.

All the references below are from the 1950 Owner's Manual...

Fire: (pages 29-32) There has to be spark generated at the spark plugs. If you have a magneto, that unit generates its own power/spark and sends it to the plugs. The magneto is timed to the engine so it sends spark at the right time and in the right firing order (cylinder "FIRING ORDER 1-3-4-2" stamped on the side of the engine). If you have a distributor, also called a battery ignition, the spark comes from the battery. If you don't know how to check for spark, ask.

Fuel: (page 24) The carburetor is the place where fuel from your gas tank is mixed with air from the air intake into a fuel/air mix suitable to be burned in your engine. Therefore, the carb must be clean and functioning properly. Check the Fuel section in the How To Forum, lots of threads/help. If you do work on your carb, just be careful to pull straight up for the first 4" when removing the top from the body. There's a little brass tube that can break off if you don't. Questions? Ask.

Compression: Once the fuel/air mix is inside the engine, as each piston rises up inside it's cylinder, it compresses the fuel/air mix. At the right time, the spark from the magneto or distributor ignites it and thrusts the piston back down to turn the crankshaft. The rapid succession of each piston continues as the engine begins to run. This is true in any type of engine. If you don't have a compression tester, go to your local auto parts place (O'Reilly, NAPA, etc.) and get one. Make sure it has an 18mm adaptor that fits into the spark plug hole. Do both a dry and wet compression test. Need help? Ask.

Oil is necessary to lubricate it. Check the oil level with the dipstick on the left side of the engine. As long as the oil level is where it should be, it'll be fine while getting it to run. Once you succeed in starting the engine, then change the oil per the manual and advice on here. Glen gave you a link to a thread about priming the oil pump (see pages 14 and following in the 1950 Owner's Manual).

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them, we’d like to see them. Also post pics when asking questions, it helps us to see the issue better.

Remember:
  • When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
  • Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
  • When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:04 am

Suggestion: take LOTS of photos of your tractor now to document a "BEFORE" status. Then take photos of everything as you are dismantling/removing parts. They will be invaluable during reassembly or asking questions here. And the Parts Manual (available here for free) will be your good friend!! :D
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:10 pm

:Dito:
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

Return to “Farmall Cub”