This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Possible new Cub owner needs advice

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Possible new Cub owner needs advice

Postby Glen » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:25 am

Hi,
The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1965 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1, and the index begins on page 75.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 59.
Changing the trans, final drive, and steering gear oils are on page 70.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1965 Cub originally had.
Cubs made after mid 1964 originally have 12 volt, negative ground electrical systems.

The Touch Control uses Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using a Cub with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in it.
There are 3 separate gear housings at the rear area of a Cub, with 3 separate oil levels to check, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

The operator's manual tells how to change the oils, and what oils to use.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made. :)
Last edited by Glen on Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:27 am

Making or buying a couple of prongs to make the SC 3 point is easy and gives you access to a lot of 3 point attachments. I have used a 2 bottom plow, 5 ft bush hog, 6ft discs, back blade, rear dirt dump bucket, 6 ft cultivator, carryall, front snow plow, etc. Not a complicated tractor. Almost all my tractors have tire checking. Not a big deal.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:09 am

I am way late to the party here, but had a few of thoughts.
Welcome by the way, a lot of previous posts in this thread also originated from the Mitten State.

1) ATV attachments work well behind a lawn tractor.
2) A Johnny Bucket may help with a limited "loader" function
http://www.johnnyproducts.com/J_Bucket_HTMs/JBpage_Sr_John_Deere_300-400.htm
3) The price you listed for a "pretty" cub isn't far out of line for Michigan because of all the attachments.
- Maybe you could try to negotiate the price down $300-$400ish.
4) There are a lot of "more capable" tractors that are much more popular in Michigan. It seems like there are a LOT of Ford 2N/8N or Ferguson tractors available at a very reasonable price that also have a 3-point hitch with attachments.

With that said, I have done a lot of work with my numbered lowboy. I don't think a numbered series fits your needs, but it is similar size and horsepower to the cub.
This bucket holds about as much as a rounded up wheelbarrow.
A Tiller helps manage garden weeds - I till twice a year cuz I am not very good at managing the weeds by hand.
Mowing 3 acres takes a while so I also use a tow behind offset mower on the wide open spaces.
Snow management is also a consideration.
IMG_1137-Small.jpg
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:11 am

Ditch the x530 and step up to a diesel with cat 1 three point and 540 pto. Best if you get a gear transmission, but most of the newer smaller models only come with the scrap overpriced hydrostat trans.

Get a cat 1 three point finish mower to match the size of the new tractor.

Then other three point inplements as needed!

I like the theroy of no till, but I am too small to spend the bucks on a no till drill, no till planter, and a cover crop roller so I use a cub to cultivate!

Cultivating is fine if the rains agree with ya, but if it is too wet, then the weeds can get a good go.

No herbicides on my farm!

If you change your mind about no till, then look for a cub with cultivators!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Return to “Farmall Cub”