This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

One point lift height

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Saucymynx
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49816

Re: One point lift height

Postby Saucymynx » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:02 pm

SamsFarm wrote:Image

Using the lower hole in your pic should gain you some lift height.

Thanks Sam. I will give that a try

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:40 pm

Saucymynx wrote:I was out looking at the fast hitch set up this morning and noticed a couple things. First, it appears that there should be a bushing where the long lift connecting arm connects to the lift mechanism. There is not one presently and the connection is really sloppy. Is there some sort of bushing i should track down?

I think there should be a bushing in there (Parts Catalog shows something, not clear what.) It also looks like yours has a bushing of some sort already. (Maybe just a wear pattern makes it look that way.) If so, you could look at replacing it with one that is a tighter fit at the inside of the bushing. Moving to the other hole as SamsFarm indicated is what i was trying to suggest earlier.

Saucymynx
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Saucymynx » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:06 pm

I went out and moved the lift link to the lower hole - that got an increase of 1” to the blade. Now up to 7”. I found a manual for the fast hitch and it shows that at max lift the top of the pull bar should be 28 1/8” above the floor. Mine is at 22”. So i am missing 6”……. I wonder where it went…. There is definitely a bushing missing at the lift arm attachment to the lift arm, and i will replace, but that’s not worth 6”. Help!

Saucymynx
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Saucymynx » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:07 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Saucymynx wrote:I was out looking at the fast hitch set up this morning and noticed a couple things. First, it appears that there should be a bushing where the long lift connecting arm connects to the lift mechanism. There is not one presently and the connection is really sloppy. Is there some sort of bushing i should track down?

I think there should be a bushing in there (Parts Catalog shows something, not clear what.) It also looks like yours has a bushing of some sort already. (Maybe just a wear pattern makes it look that way.) If so, you could look at replacing it with one that is a tighter fit at the inside of the bushing. Moving to the other hole as SamsFarm indicated is what i was trying to suggest earlier.

Thanks Jim. I think our posts crossed paths!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:14 pm

I see that the rockshaft rod has been repaired/reinforced at some point in the past. It is possible that the rod length was changed, contributing to your lift height issues.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Saucymynx
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Saucymynx » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:35 pm

Don McCombs wrote:I see that the rockshaft rod has been repaired/reinforced at some point in the past. It is possible that the rod length was changed, contributing to your lift height issues.

That is an excellent observation, Don. I have considered that and looked under the angle iron welded on and don’t clearly see where it might have been lengthened. You don’t happen to know what the length overall should be do you?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:42 pm

Unfortunately not. Maybe someone with a 140 Fast Hitch will chime in.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:45 pm

Get a picture of the hitch from far enough back to show the whole hitch. We may see something not mentioned in your descriptions. Also, post a picture of the Touch-Control arm and lift link with the hitch fully raised. I want to see how far forward it moves.

Saucymynx
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Saucymynx » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:29 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Get a picture of the hitch from far enough back to show the whole hitch. We may see something not mentioned in your descriptions. Also, post a picture of the Touch-Control arm and lift link with the hitch fully raised. I want to see how far forward it moves.

Will do - thanks!

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:39 pm

There is a possibility that your left side rockshaft arm on the touch control is twisted.

Like if it was overloaded!

I have a super A and one is twisted on it.

Being twisted would change the index point.

If you push both touch control levers forward and look at the 3 rock shaft arms on the touch control, they should line up evenly.

I cant remember if those rockshaft arms on the touch control are keyed. If keyed, maybe a key sheared at some time in the past
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Saucymynx
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Saucymynx » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:18 pm

SamsFarm wrote:There is a possibility that your left side rockshaft arm on the touch control is twisted.

Like if it was overloaded!

I have a super A and one is twisted on it.

Being twisted would change the index point.

If you push both touch control levers forward and look at the 3 rock shaft arms on the touch control, they should line up evenly.

I cant remember if those rockshaft arms on the touch control are keyed. If keyed, maybe a key sheared at some time in the past

I will check those next time I am out. But you have me thinking about something else. Should the rear lift arms be parallel? Because mine are not. The left side is rotated forward compared to the right and there’s a bunch of weld in a plate there. Like it was overloaded like you said. You can see that in this picture. I also have to have the left adjustment crank quite as far down to level the hitch which would also go along with that. If that’s my problem, it sounds like I’m out of luck unless I could maybe shorten The lift link to compensate…
Attachments
IMG_0819.jpg

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:58 pm

I think the lift arms on the rear rock shaft should be equal. Pretty sure My cub is!

Since your left is higher than the right then you'll lose lifting height

Not that it will help your lift height, but the lower part of your diagonal brace should be on the front of that pin, not in the back.

I think there is multiple holes on the top side of that right side vertical link that your diagonal brace is attached to.

On the top is a short collar, and below the swivel link is a longer collar.

You might try swapping the collars and then screwing in your left side adjuster link to level the cross bar!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:14 pm

SamsFarm wrote:. . . I think there is multiple holes on the top side of that right side vertical link that your diagonal brace is attached to.

On the top is a short collar, and below the swivel link is a longer collar.

You might try swapping the collars and then screwing in your left side adjuster link to level the cross bar!

And try inverting the swivel (between the 2 collars) so it sticks up above the lift arm.

Saucymynx
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Saucymynx » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:30 pm

Thanks Sam and Jim! You guys really know your stuff! I will give all those ideas a try. It seems like that might actually give me some more live height too. I will report back on the results!
Last edited by Saucymynx on Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:51 am

do you have this rod installed?

I got my 140 with the fast which but the bail assembly bolted to the underside of the platform. Installing the rod and using the other TC lever increased my box clearance a great deal
Attachments
fasthitch.jpg
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!