This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Correct Cub Decals

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
greg49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Correct Cub Decals

Postby greg49 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Hi All!
I know the subject has come up before, but I'd like to confirm.My Cub has a date code on the block of 6 6 S, 6 8 S on the drivetrain and 6 17 S on the tranny (right below the gearshift ). This being fact, I would assume that my decals should be of the "McCormick Deering " type as opposed to just "McCormick Farmall cub " type. These date codes put my Cub in the June 1949 arena.Any comments? Also, where can I get the McCormick Deering decals? I tried TM Tractor, but Tom said he did not carry full decal sets yet.Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Greg
1949 Cub "Cindy Lou"
1915-1917 McCormick Tedder ,1920's Deering Hay Rake, 1949 Cub,Oliver horse drawn plow 83n,syracuse plow,hussey plow, various planet jr. cultivators

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:57 pm

MAple Hunter
These came from there.

Maple-Hunter Decals
P.O. BOx 805
Riley
Indiana
Telephone: John Hunter: (812) 894-9759

CTdave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06870

Postby CTdave » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:03 pm

Maple has good stuff!
'47 Circle Cub serial # 10xx
'59 lowboy. 1000 loader & fast hitch
'48 Cub, resto w/planter/fertilizer
629 utility wagon
Fast hitch brush hog, plows and landscape rake.
Cultivators, 54a blade

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby VinceD » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:05 pm

Ken at Carter and Grunwald can also fix you up with the correct decals for your Cub.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:44 am

There is conflicting information, both attributed to Guy Fay, on this topic. It was posted in a recent thread, attributed to Mr. Fay, that the "pre-July" tractors had McCormick-Deering decals and the "post-July" Cubs had McCormick decals. I don't know where that puts tractors built during July? On TM's website, they give a date of Sept. 12 for the change, also with reference to a Guy Fay publication. I don't have these references, so maybe someone else can confirm. It has also be stated that there exists somewhere monthly production information, apparently with serial number ranges. This is information that would be nice to see on Rudi's server!! So, if your Cub still has its serial number, you could conceivably check it against this list to find out when (in which month anyway) your tractor officially rolled out. If it was indeed in June, then you would know for sure. As far as I can tell without having the references, it is up in the air which decals were on Cubs serial-numbered between July 1-Sept 12.

With all that being said, it sure would be nice to know what the monthly serial number breaks were!! :?
Trent McPeak

greg49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Correct Decals

Postby greg49 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:25 am

Thanks for the replies guys.This still makes it confusing.My Cub has all June date codes on it.My serial number is 81952. Does this give anyone out there a hint as to when it may have officially rolled out of production?Rudi or Jim. this may be one for you guys to answer.I have Guy Fay's book on Farmall Letter Series tractors , but the information is not clear.Any comments? Also, thanks for the leads on the decals gents. Much appreciated.When I know for sure what I need, I will be making some calls.

Greg
1949 Cub "Cindy Lou"
1915-1917 McCormick Tedder ,1920's Deering Hay Rake, 1949 Cub,Oliver horse drawn plow 83n,syracuse plow,hussey plow, various planet jr. cultivators

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:59 am

I was just looking to put something on the hood of my 49 because it was bare. I know it may not be a quality solution, but I have no complaints about the sets I got from TSC. It was worth the $23 to dress up this one..
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?pos=-7701

Maple Hunter sells quality stuff from what I understand, but I was really on tight budget for them.

1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:24 am

Something to keep in mind, the date codes on the castings are the date the casting was made, and not when the tractor was made, and in the Cub era, castings were normally "aged" up to 6 months before they were used, so it was probably 2-3 months or more before those June castings were used.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Correct Decals

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:02 am

If you are looking for a document that says the decal changed at serial number xxxxx, you are probably never going to see it. The paint/decal/model naming etc. committee decisions that Guy uses for his source information usually specify the date of the commettee meeting and maybe an effective date of the decision. Rarely are serial numbers included. Some times decal changes specify whether to use existing stock or not. Serial number effectivities are often in the Parts Catalogs, but rarely for decals. Some decal changes are implied by other parts changes.

The archives is working on adding monthly serial number lists to the on-line information. But it isn't ready for general release yet. When it is available, it won't be every serial number for all factories and all years as the information available is fragmentory. For example, the monthly list I have for Louisville 1949 only lists number until March 1. It was an intermediate report during the year. I don't have one from year end. As far as I know, the archives has the same exact report. So I can tell you that the first Cub in March was 66027 and the first one in November (from the 1950 report) was 93680 but nothing in between.

So when was 81952 built? Probably between 3/1 and 11/1. Based on where the number fits between 66027 and 93680, you could speculate something a little closer, but it would be mostly a guess.

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:03 am

Lola is a 49 serial 59xxx. She had original decals McCormick Deering Farmall Cub with a white back ground. I dont think I have any pics, my computer crashed and I lost everything.

John
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks for the info Jim!! Its not a monthly breakdown, but it does narrow it down some. So if we were going to make a guess from here, let's assume that monthly production was consistent between March 1 and Nov 1. How accurate is this? I have no idea.

Mar 1 to Nov 1, SNs 66027 to 93680 = 27653 tractors over 8 months = ~3456 per month.
That would put July 1 at about 79850, Aug 1 ~ 83300, Sept 12 ~ 88250.

If these estimates are close, your 81952 rolled out in July. If I had to make a decision based on this info, I would go with McCormick-Deering decals. If it can be confirmed that the decision was made on Sept 12, then it is even more likely the M-D ones were used on your tractor. As Jim states, this is mostly a guess and we will probably never know for sure. Another factor: Did IH use up the rest of the decals they had on hand or did they make the change on some specified date? Again, we don't know and each has been suggested.
Trent McPeak

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:48 pm

(I love to talk decals, because it's the first thing I often notice on a restoration, and it's something that even a mechanical nincompoop like me can work with.....) I can't recall which thread it was on, but as I said there, if you want to know what your tractor originally had, carefully sanding might reveal the old decals. That's what I did on the Super A and was able to confirm the McCormick-Deering and the ribbon Super A symbol.

One other thing: Look at the "McCormick-Deering in Podge's post, and the "McCormick" in Buzzard Wing's post. The font for the Mc-D decal is wrong! I have seen several vendors that seem to do that, I had the same trouble with the Super A. I finally found that Mark's Tractors (he ad's in Red Power) had vinyl decals with the correct lettering. I have since become a big fan of vinyl decals, correct police be @##@ed!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022