This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Original with Narrow Front

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
oldiron1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Original with Narrow Front

Postby oldiron1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:01 am

Hi,

I've seen a few 60's vintage Cub Cadets that have been modified with a narrow front end to resemble a farm tractor. I really think that is pretty neat! I've got a couple Cub Cadet Originals. I thought I would put a narrow front under one of them for fun. Has anyone had experiance doing this? How big of a poject is it? What modifications need to be done? Is it easier to covert a particular model than another?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks again, Rob

ih-cubcadet-man
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61957

Re: Original with Narrow Front

Postby ih-cubcadet-man » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:54 pm

yes ,,chuck melburg a member on the forum has been working on a original with a narrow front,, im working on a 123 with a narrow front , myself
1955 cub with fast hitch
1953 super c with fast hitch
1957 300 utility with fast hitch
1967 cub with fast hitch
and several ih cub cadets

Merk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Merk » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:28 pm

My Dad built this 4 years ago out of a 149:
Mowing:
Plowing:
Tractor on the right is what it look like brefore narrow front was installed:

dhermesc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dhermesc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:55 am

That is very sharp.
Freedom is for those that claim it.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:16 am

Nice job great workmanship too. I see were he stretched the frame in the front too. Having a little longer wheelbase looks neat.

Looks like another project on my plate, i have a parts 108 that just may turn into one of these too. Dam that looks good!!!!

Those tires just doubled in price too. I need 4 of the 31" - 1550-15" Tru Power tires and 4 14" widex 15" rims for my jeep tractor. Plus i wanted another set of 31"-1550-15"'s for another cadet. I'm going to have more invested in rubber than on my tractors soon.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

oldiron1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby oldiron1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:33 am

Those pictures do look great! Thanks for attaching them! How is the front pedistol made? I'm looking for ideas for converting one of my originals.

Thanks! Rob

Merk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Merk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Thanks for the complements.

Unfortunantely Dad did't take any pictures during the building process. It took 16 to 18 months to build it. The front tires are 4/4.80-8 tri ribs and the rear tires are 26-12.00-12 Firestone 23 degree ags. The motor is a stock 14 horse Kohler. The tractor was stretch so the front PTO could be used to run rear mounted finish mower. A gearbox from a tiller runs the mower.

I don't have any dimensions or a part number(s) for a bearing. Dad just grab what parts that were laying around his shop. He is a retired machinist. I do have a few pictures of the front end.
Front axle:
Different views of front end:

The steering is backwards from a wide front Cub Cadet. Right and Left is driver on the seat.
When you turn a wide front Cub to the left the rod between the left front spindle and steering box moves towards the front. On a narrow front Cub the rod needs to go towards the rear of a Cub to steer the correct way. There are 2 different ways to correct this problem. One is to connect the steering rod to the narrow front's right side. You could have a clearance problem if your Cub has a deep oil sump. Second way is to have a two piece steering shaft as showed:
The center swivel changes the direction the steering shaft. Steering shaft is connected to narrow front's left side. This picture is looking at the front of the tractor.
You think you have power steering. That is how easy the tractor steers.
I'm not sure about an Orginal Cub Cadet's steering would work on a narrow front. My oldest Cub is a 70/100. Maybe someone can post that information.

If you want to use 23-XX.XX-12 tires you need to use a 6 inch tire to get you tractor to set level. Several have ask if Dad or I will build and sell a narrow front end. Dad is in his late 70's and doesn't want to build anymore narrow fronts and I don't have the time. If anyone has any question you can send me an email or post them here.

oldiron1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby oldiron1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:56 am

Those pictures and info helps a great deal!!

Your tractor looks great!

wrhayes
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wrhayes » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:16 pm

Rob, You might try to contact Scott Urschel in IN. He had a 100 narrowed Ibelieve & may can help. Skip