This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My New Early Grader/ Snow Blade Had Me Confused

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brianJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: k0e1k0

My New Early Grader/ Snow Blade Had Me Confused

Postby brianJ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi All
I picked up a new Cub this past weekend and it came with what I thought was parts of a later blade set up. I tried to mount what I had on my '49 and it looked like this.
The range on the up/ down was hardly noticeable so I got out the tape measure and went to take some measurements on the one I already have. I then went on the TM Tractor Parts website http://www.tm-tractor.com/gim/blade54_001.htm looking for clues and was surprised to find out I have the Cub-54 Leveling and Grader Blade 1949 to 1952. I presently have the other with pressure spring set up and wasn't familar with this model. The rear lift rod in the photo I guessedto be about 27" long to me and I figured that red tie rod assembly acting as the rear lift rod was too short at 21 1/2". I drilled two holes in a length of 1 1/4" square tubing and spaced them at 27". This proved to be just as bad as the blade needed to be about 12" in the air in order to install the tubing. I tore it apart and went back to tape measure. I then drilled a new hole at 23" and installed the tube again. It now lifts about 12" off the ground which is far better up than my other 54 blade. I was going to sell this one to offset the purchase price of my new Cub but now I might sell the other.
Brian
Go Sens Go!!!
'48 Cub slowly being stripped of dignity...
'49 Cub
'49 Cub
'50 Demo Cub
'61 Cub
172 Runner Planter
193 Plow
23A Disks
22 Mower
144 Cultivators
54A Grader Blade
No. 5A Potato Digger
JD 'R' Spreader
JD 111 Lawn Tractors

Gary Boutwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70401
Tractors Owned: 3 barns full of Cubs and implements in various stages of disrepair

Re: My New Early Grader/ Snow Blade Had Me Confused

Postby Gary Boutwell » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:02 am

Brian,

Nice fabrication!

My Dad always told me that anything can be fixed with a cutting torch and welding machine.
He was right.

Thanks for the photos and the post.
Louisiana Cub Fest, March 5 & 6, 2010
http://ihc31.com/cubfest
Gary Boutwell
Hammond, LA

3 barns full of Cubs of various condition

brianJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brianJ » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:01 am

I just found Rudi's photos viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25809&hilit=blade+lifting+rod with dimensions so I will be making one of these shortly to make her more original looking.
Brian
Go Sens Go!!!
'49 Cub
'49 Cub
'50 Demo Cub
'61 Cub
172 Runner Planter
193 Plow
23A Disks
22 Mower
144 Cultivators
54A Grader Blade
No. 5A Potato Digger
JD 'R' Spreader
JD 111 Lawn Tractors

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun May 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Brian:

I like your idea though.. excellent. Getting 12 inches of lift is good :!: My blade has some problems.. as in the front mounting hardware is bent. Gotta fix that this summer. You will like the Cub-54 but the 54-A is superior in a number of ways from what I understand. So far I have had the yoke and spring assembly fabricated along with a few other parts to bring the 54 up to the 54-A style. Still missing one part and that will be expensive. I now have two Cub-54's so one will remain as a 54 and the other will be a 54-A.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Gerry Powell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

Postby Gerry Powell » Sun May 03, 2009 10:25 pm

I've got a blade just like yours and just went and measured the lift rod, 23 1/2". Also, the bracket you have mounted to your lift is not original, this will effect how the lift operates.
Gerry

brianJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brianJ » Mon May 04, 2009 8:53 am

Yeah, it's not right. One of the fellas here at work is making the proper a proper bellcrank extension and I am making a proper lifting rod for it. Will post pictures when my parts are done.
Rudi, I have the 54 A as well. Much nicer. Doesn't lift as high. Must be some sort of adjustment or if I actually bolt my boomerang extension on it may lift higher.
Brian
Go Sens Go!!!
'49 Cub
'49 Cub
'50 Demo Cub
'61 Cub
172 Runner Planter
193 Plow
23A Disks
22 Mower
144 Cultivators
54A Grader Blade
No. 5A Potato Digger
JD 'R' Spreader
JD 111 Lawn Tractors

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Trent M » Mon May 04, 2009 1:38 pm

brianJ wrote:Yeah, it's not right. One of the fellas here at work is making the proper a proper bellcrank extension and I am making a proper lifting rod for it. Will post pictures when my parts are done.
Rudi, I have the 54 A as well. Much nicer. Doesn't lift as high. Must be some sort of adjustment or if I actually bolt my boomerang extension on it may lift higher.
Brian

I thought the same thing too, turned out the boomerang didn't help much. I once saw a pic, don't remember who's Cub it was, where the boomerang was installed "up-side-down." It looked like that would help lift it up higher, but I haven't tried it. If you try it, give us a report! :D
Trent McPeak