This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Any ideas for a custom rear scraper blade??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JBP1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20621
Tractors Owned: 1973 IH Cub C60
old Super C
2011 CC GTX 1054
1974 Case 580B CK

Any ideas for a custom rear scraper blade??

Postby JBP1 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:16 pm

Hello all. Hope you have had a great spring thus far.

My Wife's cub has been behaving great since I replaced the RR wheel bearings . Thanks to all who provided help on that.

With the spring, We've gone from a front blade to the 42" Woods mower now. But the 2500' driveway still wants to grow potholes.

Hopefully this question is fun to discuss. Does anyone have suggestions about making a custom rear scraper blade for a 73 Cub? I have a spare blade, some rusty steel/angle iron, a welder, and several large turnbuckles (about 1/2" to 1" diameter). Just was looking for some concepts to see what details I can use with what I have.

Thanks,
JBP

XFARMA
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03445
Tractors Owned: 41 H, 44 H, 47 Cub,57 Cub Loboy, 76 Cub,
47 BN, 50 SA demo,
50 C demo,
54 SC,59 240U,
Ford, 69 5000, 73 4000,75 2000, 70 4500TLB
73 JD 350B dozer
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Any ideas for a custom rear scraper blade??

Postby XFARMA » Sun May 08, 2011 5:25 am

Why not mid mount your front blade and use it as a grader blade like it was designed for?
Member of Chapter 18

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sun May 08, 2011 6:27 am

Yea, mount it in the middle, you'll be amazed at how much better control you have for grading with it mounted in the "grader" position. Immensely better than the blade being in the front, and I've found that it is even better and easier to control than a rear-mounted blade on a 3-point hitch. Here is a pic for you to see the mounting:

Trust me, you'll love it. You can hold grade so easily by just resting your hand on the touch control quadrant, and feathering the lift lever. I re-graded about an acre of my back yard using this setup and it was amazing.

My picture shows the alternate drawbar that is available for the Cub, however you can do the same thing by flipping your standard drawbar 180 degrees.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

BigMatt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46163
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Moe"
1950 Farmall M
1978 IH 184

Postby BigMatt » Sun May 08, 2011 6:32 am

I understand what a pain taking off the mower is, and if you want a project, then why not?

My first suggestion is to make a drag out of a couple of tires and some of that angle iron. There is a camp owner in Canada where we go that has one and it works great. Every time he leaves or comes home, he hooks up the drag to his truck and his "road" stays smooth. It is about 10 miles long though.

My other suggestion (if you want seat time) is to take that angle and build a rear mount grader blade. If you have a drawbar and touch control, you might want to look at my post on my planter. you could use the same type of mount only modified and lenghtened for the grader blade. (just skip to the end for pictures) http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56798&hilit=planter+project

I would also include some way to angle the blade.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun May 08, 2011 8:00 am

I agree that the center position is best. Commercial road graders were all built that way. However, removing the mower is a real pain! I suggest looking at the design of available rear scrapers, and picking out good ideas that you can duplicate, and designing the mounting, similar to the single gang disk harrow mount. The closer it is, to the rear of the tractor, the less difficult it will be, to get a level grade, so, don't let it protrude too far. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Sun May 08, 2011 8:06 am

Nice looking set up gitractorman! JBP1 sounds to me like it would be a good time to purchase another Cub, one to mow with and one to grade with! :{_}: :{_}:
"I ain't believing this!"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun May 08, 2011 8:08 am

JBP:

One thing that you will find on this topic is that many of us use what we have at hand. To grade a road/driveway the best piece of equipment would probably be a

not all of us have constant access to one of these though. Other thing is, it takes a long time to learn how to grade with a blade out front. Belly mount blades are easier to grade with because the telegraph effect is lessened.

The very next best thing to my mind and I guess to many others is as Bill said

Still not all of us have a dedicated setup .. I need to try and mid-mount mine. I know it will do a great job as the Cub-54 can be angled much like a dozer's blade.

For those who have long driveways sometimes other tools will do the job just as well.

Even though my driveway is now essentially blacktopped, the drag is integral to keeping the vast majority of my logging road in good shape. Plus it gives me a lot of seat time. With the groomer setup that I have, telegraphing dips and such is a non issue as the skids are long enough and the drag is wide enough for this to not be a problem.

The other thing is that thinking outside of the box is the norm in our community so I am always supportive of anyone wanting to try out a good idea. One never knows just what will be the result, but I do know that the journey is always interesting. Whatever you do, please document as you go so we can see how you make out :D

Oh, before I forget -- our camp road -- about 3/4 mile I guess was always maintained by my father-in-law and his Massey-Ferguson 1040 and he graded that road with a rear mount scraper blade. Works well .. just really hard on the back and neck... :( As Ed said, keeping the blade as close to the rear of the tractor is key especially as any dips etc. will telegraph out to the blade. It will take more trips to get a good job than with a center mount setup.

There are many ways to skin a cat :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

CKCowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: V1S2A5
Tractors Owned: 56 Cub Loboy
Fast Hitch
L-22 Mower
L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby CKCowboy » Sun May 08, 2011 9:06 am

JBP1 wrote:Hello all. Hope you have had a great spring thus far.

My Wife's cub has been behaving great since I replaced the RR wheel bearings . Thanks to all who provided help on that.

With the spring, We've gone from a front blade to the 42" Woods mower now. But the 2500' driveway still wants to grow potholes.

Hopefully this question is fun to discuss. Does anyone have suggestions about making a custom rear scraper blade for a 73 Cub? I have a spare blade, some rusty steel/angle iron, a welder, and several large turnbuckles (about 1/2" to 1" diameter). Just was looking for some concepts to see what details I can use with what I have.

Thanks,
JBP

I have a LoBoy and I can't center mount the blade and have been thinking about the same thing.
Haven't come up with plans, but have thought of mounting a box scraper on the fast hitch.
Need to get back to that.
Dave
To soon old to late smart!

JBP1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20621
Tractors Owned: 1973 IH Cub C60
old Super C
2011 CC GTX 1054
1974 Case 580B CK

Postby JBP1 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:17 pm

Hello all. Hope you've been enjoying a beautiful spring. I pray that the folks in Joplin don't have any more troubles, because it looks like hell already, and is horrible.

I've been 'outside the box' on this project. Attached are a couple of photos. The blade does a fairly inadequate job at this point, but does some scraping.

What I'm going to do next is to somehow attach a beam/spring device (like the one that sits on top of the front blade setup) from the top center of the blade to the middle of the draw bar (if that is what that part of the tractor is). The intent would be to keep the blade from tipping forward. Also, I'm going to bolt an extender on the lift bar so I get more 'stroke' on that.

The three turnbuckles handle the load fine, and make adjustments easy. Putting it on only requires one bolt and two pins, so far. It is simple, crude, ugly and.......practically free.

JBP

Cubdragblade1.jpg

Cubdragblade2.jpg

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Tue May 24, 2011 9:58 pm

I use what I have... :lol:

Came with a LoBoy that I bought a few years back. Kept the blade, sold the LoBoy.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Josh Blair
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38474
Tractors Owned: 1950 F-cub
1951 F-cub
1967 Massey Ferguson 150

Postby Josh Blair » Tue May 24, 2011 10:00 pm

gitractorman wrote:Yea, mount it in the middle, you'll be amazed at how much better control you have for grading with it mounted in the "grader" position. Immensely better than the blade being in the front, and I've found that it is even better and easier to control than a rear-mounted blade on a 3-point hitch. Here is a pic for you to see the mounting:

Trust me, you'll love it. You can hold grade so easily by just resting your hand on the touch control quadrant, and feathering the lift lever. I re-graded about an acre of my back yard using this setup and it was amazing.

My picture shows the alternate drawbar that is available for the Cub, however you can do the same thing by flipping your standard drawbar 180 degrees.

are you so lonely you are playing tic tac toe with the cub????
Josh Blair in Mt.Pleasant TN
Image Image