This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Who's rebuilt a 3160 mower spindle?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Keith Seymore
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Who's rebuilt a 3160 mower spindle?

Postby Keith Seymore » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:16 am

Struggling a bit with this one; the center spindle on my 3160 mower deck blew apart (failed the upper bearing) so I’m having some trouble determining which pieces are legitimate parts and which pieces are debris, and how this all goes back together.

I have the rebuild kit, consisting of the two new wheel bearings and seals.

1) My first question is about the order in which this gets re-assembled. I don’t understand if the lower bearing,which seems to be a press fit, goes on the shaft before the spindle assembly goes back in the housing. If that’s the case how does one install the bottom seal? Conversely, if you set the new bearing in the bottom of the housing and install the seal how to do press the bearing onto the spindle shaft?

2) Regarding seals: do they go with the wiper up, to facilitate sticking the spindle shaft in from the bottom? Both down? One up and one down?

3) I think I’ve got some extra pieces. There is a small spacer labeled #11 (“top spacer") in the diagram. I think I have located this but there is another larger diameter “cupped” washer in the pile too. Is that part of the spacer? Or a broken piece of something?

4) There is a taper on the spindle shaft where the top bearing will seat. Is that damage, or design intent?

I suppose I could pull one of the other spindles apart to see how this works but that seems like a lot of (unnecessary) work which I am hoping to avoid.

Thanks in advance –

K

Before:

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28538
Tractors Owned: LoBoy 185 with Woods mower
LoBoy 184 with Woods mower and 3-pt
LoBoy 184 with RM59-LB mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Who's rebuilt a 3160 mower spindle?

Postby seahaul » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:28 am

1. I put the bottom seal in the housing first, then insert the shaft into the housing. The bearing should slide down the shaft fairly easily but if necessary I use a short piece of pipe just large enough to fit against the inner race of the bearing and drive the bearing into place.
2. The seals are installed with the "lip" facing toward the inside on both.
3. I don't know what the larger diameter "cupped" spacer is for. Mine don't have it.
4. There should not be any taper of the shaft where the bearings fit.

Since the bearing failed on the middle pulley, it may be time to replace the other spindle bearings also. I'd check them now to save future problems.
Charlie

Keith Seymore
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keith Seymore » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:19 am

Thank you; makes sense.

I think the "taper" damage on the spindle shaft is a show stopper; I don't trust it and am going to go with a new spindle assembly for this location.

Thanks again for the response -

K

Keith Seymore
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keith Seymore » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:01 am

seahaul wrote:
Since the bearing failed on the middle pulley, it may be time to replace the other spindle bearings also. I'd check them now to save future problems.
Charlie

This has been a bad week for me with bearings.

First this spindle, then my daughter failed a rear wheel bearing on her car at 2am Tuesday morning.

I'm thinking in addition to the above I better re-pack the front wheels on my pickup truck....and both trailers....before it's too late!

(lol)

Thanks again -

K