This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Problem with lights

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DAT
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 60048

Problem with lights

Postby DAT » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:39 pm

My cub runs good. Have had it for 35 years. All of a sudden, when I turn the light switch on, the engine stops and the lights do not actually go on. I can turn the lights off although they didn't actually go on and then I can restart the engine. The lights will then not go on even if the engine is off and the ignition switch is not on, which they would always do in the past.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
DAT

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Problem with lights

Postby tst » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:41 pm

welcome to the forum, the light switch power is probably connected through the kill switch so the light switch or a wire is shorted to ground most likely killing the engine when you turn the switch on for the lights
Tim

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Welcome.

First thing is to down load the operator's manual for your tractor. Top of page. Operator's manual will contain the electrical wiring diagram.

My guess is a fault in the light switch. BUT, but, to much missing information to make any kind of positive determination.

Factory original wiring, there were several different ignition feeds. And then, some place in the past a previous owner could have changed the electrical wiring.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:29 pm

If your cub uses the L lead on the regulator it may have a bad connection where the L terminal connects back to the bat terminal and when the lights are turned on the bad connection does not pass enough power to keep the ignition going.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:54 am

I had a headlight wire short like this. It would ground and enough energy would be lost and not stall but plain turn off the engine. I rewired and it was fixed.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:57 am

If this problem was a sudden onset problem and nothing was done prior to the problem you have 2 possibilities. The most likely problem is a wire with insulation worn through causing a direct short to ground. The other is that the switch has failed. If you remove the wire from the light switch to the headlights and tail light and the problem still occurs when you turn the switch on the problem is in the switch. If all is OK with the wires off, connect the headlights and test it. If OK then connect the tail light and test. This will give you a smaller search area.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:08 am

What size fuse is in your fuse holder? A short in the headlight wiring that draws enough current from the electrical system to kill the engine, unless there is a bad connection in the circuit, should blow that fuse (20amp) immediately.

Is your fuse in the dash or on the light switch?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

DAT
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 60048

Postby DAT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll find it eventually.