This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1949 Cub Natchez MS Updates

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39120

Re: 1949 Cub Natchez MS Updates

Postby cavingreer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:09 pm

I would expect a little, but when I opened it the first time this season it was a watery mess. After I dumped it and eventually got the tractor running again weeks later there appeared to be anti freeze in it. That isn't much water but it's from completely dry to half an ounce in one hour? I'm really concerned it's coming from the cooling system somehow
IT Guy by day, Rockstar by night, Amateur tractor restorer on occasion 8)
1949 Farmall Cub #94459 - Restoration Thread
"Organized chaos is better than no chaos at all"

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:39 pm

Disconnect the line going from the block to the air cleaner and see if it continues.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:39 am

Just a note on your steering bolts. I recently had some work loose, and I needed to "rebuild" the steering box anyway. What I found was that a previous owner had pushed the pins (dowels) in so far they didn't engage the steering box cover. Without those dowels, the bolts are subjected to a lot of torque during use, and they worked loose and wallowed out their holes. When I put it back together, I made sure the dowels engaged correctly, and crossed my fingers concerning the wallowed holes. Eventually I will find a nice used unit and replace mine, but for now it seems okay. Be sure your dowels are in place correctly, that might stop your bolt loosening as well.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:04 pm

That's pretty much what happened to my front end Rick. They didn't even install the dowel pin so it's wallowed out the bolt holes. There's a complete front end in the parts pile I have access to that I'm going to strip down and redo the bearings and seals on then swap onto mine soon.

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Well I think I figured out the choke problem. It actually wasn't running unless it was fully choked. Main jet was ststopped up. When I pulled the breather tube off water ran out of it. I'm going to unhook that crankcase tube and see if water is coming out. Meanwhile I pulled the pulley off the mower to figure out the overrun clutch and that's obvious LOL. Have to get those broke loose somehow and cleaned out. Got it soaking with penetrating oil now.
Attachments
20160425_180132-768x1365.jpg

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:30 pm

When I was redoing a C-2, I had the same problem. Couldn't figure out how to grab the broken pins. I ended up drilling a 1/8" hole from the other side and driving them out with a punch. Filled in the holes with JB.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:29 pm

That thought did cross my mind. I have one loose and tried to pull it with a big magnet but that didn't work. Letting it soak a day or two and see what luck I have.

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:35 pm

Finally got the pins out! Now I can clean them up, replace the springs and the clutch will finally work. Don't know how it was holding other than the previous owner cranked it down with washers or something
Attachments
20160428_212254-768x1365.jpg

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub Fast Hitch 68 Lo-Boy 66 Cub Cadet 125 100 Manure Spreader Wagner Loader

Postby welderrx » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:48 am

It's good that you got that all freed up , my late uncle had two Porsche Diesels that he farmed with. He had an old Ford flail mower he used until it wore out, and he bought a rotary mower but didn't get an over running coupler for it and it would push it along . Right before he retired he was in a tight corner mowing and it pushed him towards the fence, he stomped the brake pedal and the PTO Stub sheared off. I inherited the mower and use it on my Allis Chalmers C and when you slow down you can hear the over running coupler clicking away.Congratulations on keep an old family machine alive most of my equipment came to me from family or friends and It helps me to keep a little bit of them alive after they are gone. T.J.
Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Association

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:08 pm

Picked up some springs the same diameter and thickness out of a local hardware store's part bins. Glad there's still a few of those around. Rigged up a scrap of hose on my drill and wrapped sandpaper around to polish out the holes. Cut springs to the point the pins would not quite bottom out flush.

"Pops" and "Pawpaw" had beat the heck out of the grease cap and wallowed out the bolt hole, the bolt was definitely not stock, and the washers they used didn't suit either. I had to spend a little time finding the right combination of washers and spacing to get the cap to sit flush on top of the pulley with the bolt locked down, but I feel pretty good about the combination I came up with out of my limited stash of junk. Greased it all up good and took it for a spin.

Holy cow the difference when the clutch works and the carb is working. Way more torque, knocks down little trees and thick ground cover without killing the engine. Thank goodness I knew what to expect when the clutch kicks in haha, the noise could scare an unsuspecting soul. Really changes the functionality of the tractor when you can clutch, stop, change gears, etc.

Side note, I'm planning on leaving the holes I drilled to extract the pins and regularly drop oil or inject grease into them. Overall I feel really good about this job.

Side note 2, after an awesome test run the tractor choked and died and I had to play with the choke to nurse it back to the shop. Betting on more trash in the jet. Sediment bowl may not be enough. Also unhooked engine to breather tube, no sign of water from the engine outlet, still need to check the oil bowl, but I'm wondering if all that water is being sucked in from the radiator overflow hole?

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Wed May 04, 2016 7:14 am

JMHO, sediment filter is enough. Problem is too much trash/rust in tank or carb inlet screen. Does the bowl still have a screen? Clean everything out, maybe even put a Ford prescreen on top of sediment bowl. Inline filters can create their own problems.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Wed May 04, 2016 7:28 am

Replaced the bowl last summer. The tank still has a lot of sediment coming out. I'll just have to keep cleaning as required until I get the other tank cleaned and coated

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:43 am

I haven't updated this thread in a very long time so I thought I'd post my FaceBook album that has all the pictures and progress on it for anyone interested. It's a public album so you don't have to have a FB account to view it.
https://www.facebook.com/cavin.greer/media_set?set=a.10206970205710791&type=3

Eskimotom
Zip Code: 56368

Postby Eskimotom » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:16 am

This is a wonderful thread! Thanks for sharing all your efforts it us very informative & I learned a lot!
Richmond/Cold Spring, MN