This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cleaning the cooling

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rhowes
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14305
Tractors Owned: 2 vintage cub cadets

Cleaning the cooling

Postby rhowes » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:46 pm

Hi all: has anyone tried a CLR type product to get rid of the lime in there engine? I don't mean to put it through the radiator but if the engine was empty of coolant and the hoses removed could you fill the engine with CLR and let it do its thing maybe overnight then flush out and then remove the inlet so you could use a flushing tool? I have read here about washing soda and other chemicals. My problem is the tractor isn't running yet and I was told the engine would overheat. Radiator looks clean

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cleaning the cooling

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:37 am

Not used CLR for this purpose. If you flush the block and bolster with a flushing tool the engine should not overheat. That's the way they came from the factory, thermo siphon cooling system. No water pump.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

rhowes
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14305
Tractors Owned: 2 vintage cub cadets

Re: Cleaning the cooling

Postby rhowes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:39 am

staninlowerAL wrote:Not used CLR for this purpose. If you flush the block and bolster with a flushing tool the engine should not overheat. That's the way they came from the factory, thermo siphon cooling system. No water pump.

Hi I think I get the no water pump part but as I understand it to use the washing soda the engine needs to run. My engine is not running yet, was just wondering if CLR would break down the calcium lime and rust build up and allow me to wash it away more thoroughly.