This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

One wire alternator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bofahs
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 31522
Tractors Owned: 1965 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Re: One wire alternator

Postby bofahs » Wed May 24, 2017 9:33 pm

For me, the wiring diagram would be more useful if it were for a one-wire, with the start switch in the dash. Also, does the resistor to the coil have to be added because of the new alternator? In the diagram above, at the starter, does the 2 gauge wire from the battery connect to, or switch apart from, the 10 gauge wire to the alternator?

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Slim140 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:18 am

bofahs wrote:For me, the wiring diagram would be more useful if it were for a one-wire, with the start switch in the dash. Also, does the resistor to the coil have to be added because of the new alternator? In the diagram above, at the starter, does the 2 gauge wire from the battery connect to, or switch apart from, the 10 gauge wire to the alternator?

The resistor is added when converting from 6V to 12V because the points will burn up if the 12V isn't reduced. The 10 gauge wire and the 2 gauge wire share the same lug on the starter so the 10 gauge wire can feed voltage from the alternator to charge the battery. You can run the 10 gauge wire to the battery post instead of the starter lug if you want (waste of wire though).
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

bofahs
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby bofahs » Fri May 26, 2017 4:52 pm

Chipmaker wrote:The resistor is added when converting from 6V to 12V because the points will burn up if the 12V isn't reduced. The 10 gauge wire and the 2 gauge wire share the same lug on the starter so the 10 gauge wire can feed voltage from the alternator to charge the battery. You can run the 10 gauge wire to the battery post instead of the starter lug if you want (waste of wire though).

So, I'm thinking that, since it was already 12 v. battery ignition, I don't need the resistor. The starter switch is in the Dash. And, since it's getting difficult to buy a POS battery cable without the included 10 ga. wire hanging off the side, I'd use that between the Battery and the Ammeter. So, if you'd be kind enough to look over the attached diagram (if you can do that without laughing, that'd be great), I think this is how the wiring should go. Right?
Attachments
Wiring XX.jpg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Your tiny wires going from the ammeter to the light and ignition switches are on the wrong side of the ammeter.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri May 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Since the (I assume push button and not a key switch with solenoid) starter switch is located in the dash you can save quite a bit of wire by connecting the medium red wire from the amp meter to the lug on the starter switch connected to the battery cable.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bofahs
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby bofahs » Fri May 26, 2017 6:41 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Your tiny wires going from the ammeter to the light and ignition switches are on the wrong side of the ammeter.

Yeah, I picked up on that - thanks! The revised drawing is attached.

Oh, Eugene - I was skittish about using the medium wire - the existing wire to the starter is 4 gauge. It was a little off-putting when I started digging into the wiring, as the wire from the ammeter to the starter switch was about 12 gauge, and from there to the starter itself was the fat one. I was thinking, "This can't be right! But wait - it's been like that for the 22 years I've owned it, and it was 30 years old when I got it."

Also, a similar diagram in the forum a couple days ago shows 2 gauge wire to the starter, so... ???
Attachments
Wiring R1.jpg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri May 26, 2017 7:43 pm

The medium red wire from the amp meter to the positive terminal on the battery doesn't need to be any larger than the wire from the alternator to the negative side of the amp meter. The major amp load on the alternator will be shortly after engine start up. If the black wire will carry that load, no need to go larger.

Being cheap, I would wire the current medium red wire from the amp meter to the positive terminal on the battery, to the battery cable end nearest the amp meter.

My Cub with 62 amp single wire alternator will register around 30 amps on the gauge upon engine start up. Then, within short order drop to below 10 amps on the gauge. Gauge only reads in 10 amp increments.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bofahs
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby bofahs » Sat May 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Well, I know rstoots started this thread, but I've probably gotten as much, or more help than he. I'm now just waiting on the alternator, as recommended by chipmaker, and then we shall see. Thanks to one and all.