This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hi Y'all! 1951 Cub Engine Squawking LOUDLY

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Octavio
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 87105

Re: Hi Y'all! 1951 Cub Engine Squawking LOUDLY

Postby Octavio » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:39 pm

All right, Hi guys. The engine runs well. Now to split the tractor again and adjust the clutch fingers. The guys could not be persuaded to wait and put it back together to see if it ran. It does, beautifully. But now, there are two things tat need attention.

One: a new throw-out bearing is wanted.

The other is that, I did not take apart the pressure plate assembly and so do not know if I have the pressure plate in backwards or not! I looked at the picture in the shop manual but it was not easy to ascertain the direction. Finally I decided and put it together. Then I went off to work for a week and when I came back they had the tractor together. Of course the fingers were not adjusted either (hence the new throw out bearing).

If, in this picture above, the engine is off to the right, then I have it correct.

Thanks!
Attachments
Clutch.jpg

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi,
The pressure plate bolts to the flywheel, it cannot be put on backwards, If you mean the clutch disc, with the lining, it should face like in your pic, with the long side of the spline to the rear.
They did use 2 different brands of pressure plates on Cubs, the Rockford style is shown here in this listing from TM Tractor, they have 6 springs.
The other brand is in your pic, just wondered which brand you have. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/625fp.htm

Octavio
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Octavio » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:48 pm

I have the other one: (I like getting new parts books.)
Attachments
Clutch Correct.jpg

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Just in case you replace the pilot bushing ,if you do , be mindful of the fit.
Too tight , as others have found ;will annoy you.

Octavio
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Octavio » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:46 pm

oh! Can I get to the pilot bushing and get it out without taking the engine back apart?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi,
The clutch shaft pilot bushing is in the rear of the crankshaft, it is what the end of the clutch shaft goes into. It is visible with the clutch off. I would measure it with a dial caliper, and if it looks good, and measures good, it can be used more.
They have discussed on this site in the past that some of the new pilot bushings are too small an ID when they are put in the crankshaft. They need reaming inside, to a bigger diameter, or the clutch shaft won't stop turning when you push the clutch pedal down.
Here is a page from the Cub service manual showing the size of the end of the shaft and the running clearance.
Pic is from TM Tractor.
Grease in the pilot bushing, and the end of the clutch shaft when putting the tractor together. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 005-02.jpg
Attachments
Cub pilot bushing.jpg

Cubfriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 68803
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, Kittie; 1948 Cub, Harold; 1949 Cub, 49er; 1951 Cub, Tucker; 1951 Cub, Homely; 1956 Cub High Crop; 1957 Cub Loboy; 57 Cub Loboy w/fasthitch + 194 plow; 1958 Cub LoBoy w/FH, Popeye; 1961 Cub, Beater; #1-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot Throttle; #2-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot throttle; Yellow 1963 Cub Loboy and blade; 1970 Cub, Cubbie; and 5 other Cubs in various stages of disaasembly and disrepair; 1962 Cub Cadet Original; 2 other Cub Cadet Originals; Cub Cadet 100; Cub Cadet 124 w/Creeper; Cub Cadet 147; 2 Cub Cadet 129's; Cub Cadet 149; 1948 Allis Chalmers C w/single frontwheel; 1944 Farmall H w/Tokhiem Cab; 2 One Point Fasthitch Carriers; 2-#100 Fasthitch Rear Blade; 2 Sets Cub 144 Cultivators; 2 Sets Cub #252 Cultivators; 3 Cub #193 Mouldboard Plows; 1 Cub #193 Slatted Plow; 1 1948 Cub-54 Snow Plow; 3 Cub-54 49-5 Snow Plows; Cub #6 Tool Bar w/Disc Blades & Middlebuster. 2-#105 sickle mowers, #152 disc plow

Postby Cubfriend » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:09 am

Sailor wrote:
Octavio wrote:I put a considerable amount of oil into the filler port

If you are referring to the small screw in the fan hub, then you should not have to put more than a couple of tablespoons worth in there.

1. Rotate the hub until the screw is facing you.
2. Remove the screw.
3. Take your oil can and squirt a couple of healthy squirts into the hub.
4. Rotate the hub until the screw hole is facing the ground, any excess oil should drain out, if no oil comes out, repeat step 2.
5. Rotate the screw hole back until you can replace the screw. Make sure that there is a rubber gasket on the screw to prevent any oil from leaking out.

The three manuals you need to buy/download are:
1, The Owners Manual
2. The Parts Manual
3. The Owners Manual

Welcome to the site.

I believe the service manual was meant to be included. Frank
Frank

Octavio
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Octavio » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:06 pm

OK, stupid question time: Hmm, I wonder if there was a bushing included in the new crank shaft we put in? The clutch shaft doesn't wiggle so maybe...

This is probably where I have to admit that while the guys consult me for all things technical because I can read English, do research, understand a manual, and have mechanical skills; and while I am project oversight and distinguished oracle of question answering, they put the engine back together without me being present because I'm a woman and they are MEN. :roll: My husband looks to me for answers but get another man on the job and I am overruled. (I remain, however the only one of them who understands the "mystery" of firing order.)

Anyway, I am going to assume that either the new crank shaft came with the bushing or they re-used the old one because the clutch shaft is stationary. Is that a safe assumption do you think?

Thanks, Pam

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Octavio wrote:. . . I wonder if there was a bushing included in the new crank shaft we put in?

Quite possible. New crankshafts from IH normally came with the bushing in place.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi,
From what you said, I guess you have put the Cub together in the middle.

If you want to check it, you might be able to tell doing this,
if the Cub is together, you would need to have someone push the clutch pedal down, and hold it down, otherwise the clutch disc is holding the end of the shaft tight, and the shaft won't move up and down. Then reach up through the hand hole, and see if you can move the shaft up and down. If there's no movement, it probably has a bushing in it.
Hopefully they put some grease in the bushing.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:11 am

The crankshaft probably still has the old bushing in it from the tractor it used to be in. It is likely worn a little so it won't bind on the transmission input shaft and has some grease impregnated into it.

But, since you have to pull the tractor back apart to replace the throwout bearing you may as well address the pilot bushing while you're in there.

Octavio
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Octavio » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 am

But, since you have to pull the tractor back apart to replace the throwout bearing you may as well address the pilot bushing while you're in there.
That sounds like good advice. I was thinking along those lines. The tractor is apart and the clutch is removed and this time they are waiting until I return to proceed.

The clutch shaft pilot bushing is in the rear of the crankshaft, it is what the end of the clutch shaft goes into. It is visible with the clutch off. I would measure it with a dial caliper, and if it looks good, and measures good, it can be used more.
As a geologist, I own a dial caliper. I shall employ it. Before we put the tractor back together I did try and move the clutch shaft but it was tight; didn't wiggle at all. I am hoping for the best but I will measure.

thanks for all of the expertise!

Octavio
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Octavio » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:27 am

New crankshafts from IH normally came with the bushing in place.

I did order a new one from IH through the tractor supply business in town. I will measure anyway but I think it will be OK.

Octavio
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Octavio » Sun May 07, 2017 11:18 am

YIPPIE SKIPPIE!
Took that tractor out for a spin! :tractor:
Now, to rebuild the carburetor... :D
Attachments
Untitled 1.jpg

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun May 07, 2017 12:02 pm

When you separate the halves of the carb, pull them straight apart or you will break off the idle tube.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein