This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Last chance to keep 6v system :-(

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
YankeeRon
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06088

Last chance to keep 6v system :-(

Postby YankeeRon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:05 pm

New here so just a quick intro - long time Cub owner - 1953 w/ belly mower. It's a working tractor, used for mowing pastures and running a scraper up and down my driveway. It's well maintained, and I've tried to keep it original with the intention of fully restoring it to "Parade" quality when I'm finally sick of farm work and let my kids take over. The problem is the 6V genny system has never charged. For years I've gotten by with just keeping it on a charger, but I'm done with that. Pulled the generator out and had it checked out by a local shop - they say it's ok. new regulator - still nothing. Cleaned gen commuter - nada. Re-polarized the generator - zip. Checked wiring and all is well - still zero charge. Thought the belt might be too slack so new belt - still nothing.

At this point I'm about ready to call it a day and yank the 6V generator and coil and replace it with a 12v system. I hate to do it unless it is really necessary, but want to get this thing charging again. Anybody have any last advice as to what's going on here or what I can do before taking this step? I'm pretty good mechanically, but am at a loss as to why this won't charge.

Thanks,
Ron

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Last chance to keep 6v system :-(

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:37 pm

Some Chinese regulators are bad, right out of the box. Try another regulator.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:15 pm

Do the "won't charge flowchart" like you have never laid eyes on the tractor before. Assume nothing!

If you don't know what's wrong how do you know a 12V conversion will fix it? Maybe it's a wire, cable, or connection that will still be there on 12V.

Stevetractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 International Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Follow that flow chart to the letter. Also I agree the voltage regulators of today are garbage, yes even the US ones. Clover systems make a solid state regulator that fits inside your old regulator case and I'm thinking would be much cheaper than a 12V alternator and battery. Your missing some simple detail, and trust me, we have all been there. I like to start by taking hood off and take the two bolts out of the dash. Remove and clean every connection and give each wire terminal a good tug. Better it comes off in your hand then you will know it could have been bad. Then I check each wire for continuity. Then just follow the chart. Good luck don't give up. :tractor:

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:26 pm

follow the chart
Attachments
08-Regulatortroubleshootingchartrev.gif

Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave F. » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Stevetractor wrote:Follow that flow chart to the letter. Also I agree the voltage regulators of today are garbage, yes even the US ones. Clover systems make a solid state regulator that fits inside your old regulator case and I'm thinking would be much cheaper than a 12V alternator and battery. Your missing some simple detail, and trust me, we have all been there. I like to start by taking hood off and take the two bolts out of the dash. Remove and clean every connection and give each wire terminal a good tug. Better it comes off in your hand then you will know it could have been bad. Then I check each wire for continuity. Then just follow the chart. Good luck don't give up. :tractor:

Stevetractor I would like to know more about this Clover solid state voltage regulator? Part # and where you would get one ?
Thanks Dave F.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:57 am

There's no guarantee on longevity for the voltage regulator. I went through 2 VRs from the Case-IH dealer. One lasted a few months the other was useless within 10 minutes. These were made in India. Brillman sells a "premium" voltage reg. made in USA and I paid the premium and have (holding breath long term here--almost a year now) been pleased with it. You might look up Brillman and see if you'd like to try this -- especially if you want to keep the Cub as it was...and working too.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:08 am

I have given up on the regulators both US made and overseas.

I have used the clover regulator on a 49 and am very happy. I plan one using on on my '57 as the project goes forward Here are some photos and info viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94792&hilit=clover

another option for about the same money as the solid state regulators is a one wire 6 v positive ground alternator from Brillman https://brillman.com/product/6-volt-one ... ve-ground/

This upgrades your amps while keeping it 6-volt positive ground and removes the separate regulator.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

YankeeRon
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06088

Postby YankeeRon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:06 am

Thank you all - will go through the chart again as if it's the first time and hopefully will find it. Also going to get the clover regulator. I'll report back with what I find...

Ron

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:47 am

Don't forget the grounds. Clean, bright, and tight.....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Stevetractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 International Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:52 am

That's right Super A. Just finished my 1968 Cub. Had to clean new paint off between battery box and differential shaft housing and also where ground cable goes on side of battery box. I also smear a light coat of grease on those two shots then bolt up nice and snug. Good grounds are essential.