This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DBIZZELL
Zip Code: 75763

CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT

Postby DBIZZELL » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:14 am

I AM INSTALLING YOU CLUTCH KIT IN 1949 CUB, CLUTCH INSTALLED ON FLY WHEEL MESERUMENT FROM PREASURE PLATE TO FINGERS IS 7/8", ARE SHOULD IT BE 1 3/16"? ADUUSTEMENT IS AT BOTTOM OF CLUTCH PEDDLE, IS 1" FREE PLAY AND 1/8" CLERANCE BETWEEN THROW OUT AND FINGERS? I AM FINDING DIFFERENT MEASURMENTS ON FORUM AND WED.
THANKS

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT

Postby Glen » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 pm

Hi,
The finger height should be 1 3/16" - 1 1/4" from the top surface of the fingers, to the flat surface below the the fingers, they have said on here.
That is when the pressure plate and clutch disc are fully assembled on the flywheel. The finger height changes as the pressure plate is tightened on the flywheel.
Yes, the clutch pedal free play should be 1" for a 1949 Cub.
Setting the free play automatically sets the distance between the fingers and throwout bearing.
I sent you a PM.
Below is a picture of where to measure, when the pressure plate and disc are assembled on the flywheel. :)
Attachments
Cub clutch 3.jpg

DBIZZELL

Postby DBIZZELL » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:59 am

Thanks Glen, when I resaved you replay I had already put it back together with the measurement that it was set at 7/8", it adjusted out to 1" free play and about 1/8" clearance on TO, runs good, guess I can adjust it through the hand hole, but because of detached retina I can not longer judge bolt size or length, I put to long of bolt in the top of my bell housing, now water is coming out the dust cover, thing I my have got into the water journal, going to pull both bolts today and Teflon them again thanks

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:10 pm

Hi,
They have said on here that the pressure plate might also be used on another brand of tractor, and the 7/8" finger height might be for that tractor.
If the fingers are too low, the throwout bearing holder, and the metal part of the bearing can hit the turning pressure plate, when you push the clutch pedal fully down.
If that happens there is a metal to metal sound. If that happens, don't push the pedal down to where the noise happens, it can damage the clutch or throwout bearing, or the bearing's holder.
Below is a post about what can happen when the fingers are too low, the clutch info begins about half way down the page, and shows the broken clutch below that, and on the next page.
https://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 3&start=45

It says in the post to not use the 7/8" finger setting.
You can split the Cub again to adjust the fingers if you can't see the finger adjustments through the hand hole.
I don't know what bolts you meant in the bell housing. The top 2 bolts holding the clutch housing to the engine don't go into the cooling system.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:32 am

Adjustment through the hand hole is tedious, but I would say it is less work than another split! And as mentioned, the 7/8" finger setting is NOT correct for the cub.

These 2 HOW TO's might help you:
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=6994
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=66543

Make sure you make yourself comfortable under the tractor, because it takes a while...good padding & something to support your head. Also, an assistant to hand turn the engine and fetch tools makes it oh so much easier!! :)

Good luck
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

DBIZZELL

Postby DBIZZELL » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:27 am

I did break into the water journal with one of the two top bolts, think I am have lucked out, three wraps of Teflon and Rectorseal stopped water leak,
Thanks