This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Loss of spark

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Loss of spark

Postby tst » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:04 pm

with the switch on it would spark as you created a draw on the system which is ok switch off no spark is ok

Tractor Rod
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 67357

Postby Tractor Rod » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:34 pm

So getting spark when the ignition switch is on with the load is normal, so what does everybody think at this point? Is my next step to replace the whole wiring harness per my last post? I hate to do the whole wiring harness routine, but don’t know what else to do? Thanks, Rod.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:20 pm

If the Cub has a Battery Ignition unit, the electrical system has to send battery power to the coil, so the engine will run.
You didn't say if you tested the battery power connection at the coil to see if it has battery power.
If it is a 6 volt system, it should have the same voltage as the battery has. Test the voltage at the battery first, and see what the battery has.
I haven't seen pics of it, but I don't think you need a new wiring harness, unless it looks bad.
You haven't said if it is 6 or 12 volts, positive or negative ground.
If there isn't battery voltage at the coil, try making a jumper wire from about number 12 wire, to go from the starter post, to the post on the coil that is connected to the ignition switch. Put a clip on each end of the wire. Be careful to not touch anything at the connections that would short the system.
Then see if the engine will run.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:06 pm

With switch on you got spark from battery post cause your points were closed and this has nothing to do with the wiring!!! --- check inside the dist, connections for short. The insulator where the wire goes in to the points sometimes gets cracked/worn/weathered and shorts out.-- not saying this is your problem but it can/has happened before.