This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Converting a cub lowboy from points to electronic ignition

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Converting a cub lowboy from points to electronic ignition

Postby SONNY » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:25 pm

Putting that transistorized crap in your cub would be a major mistake!--its NOT designed to run on that. also Your srarting problems are due to a worn out engine! I have a 185 that gave up after many years of great mower duty and the only cure is engine rebuild. Costly yes but its the only way to fix the problem!
I n the last 3 years I have had a bunch of motors,--all brands,-- come to me and all of them wouldnt run or ran like crap and all had them stupid transistor modules stuck in them. I removed them and got the original style points/condenser plate and they all started ans ran just fine!
Just bout a steam cleaner with a Wisconsin VH4D motor on it and it wouldnt start. I figure thats why it was on the auction! Anyway after I came home with it and put the ole spark tester on it there was no spark. Took dist. cap off and found a VERY burned rotor! Hmmmm, took dust cover off and ----ya guessed it!transistor module stuck in it! Raided my parts box and found my last ignition plate complete with points and slapped that in it and now it starts in a quarter turn.
The module in the slant 6 on my brush chipper has the module in it too and every time you use it , you have to clean the rotor and mess around with it before it will start. I dont have a dist. that will fit that motor, and because it only gets used a couple times a year for long hours I live with that one.

Others swear by the transistor modules, but I see way too many problems they cause. also they mess up your timing and some engines just wont run at all with them.
Newer motors have them but were designed for that type ignition and thats another game! ---- Coil packs are a major problem in Ford motors, so even the new stuff is not great!

Cubfriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 68803
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, Kittie; 1948 Cub, Harold; 1949 Cub, 49er; 1951 Cub, Tucker; 1951 Cub, Homely; 1956 Cub High Crop; 1957 Cub Loboy; 57 Cub Loboy w/fasthitch + 194 plow; 1958 Cub LoBoy w/FH, Popeye; 1961 Cub, Beater; #1-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot Throttle; #2-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot throttle; Yellow 1963 Cub Loboy and blade; 1970 Cub, Cubbie; and 5 other Cubs in various stages of disaasembly and disrepair; 1962 Cub Cadet Original; 2 other Cub Cadet Originals; Cub Cadet 100; Cub Cadet 124 w/Creeper; Cub Cadet 147; 2 Cub Cadet 129's; Cub Cadet 149; 1948 Allis Chalmers C w/single frontwheel; 1944 Farmall H w/Tokhiem Cab; 2 One Point Fasthitch Carriers; 2-#100 Fasthitch Rear Blade; 2 Sets Cub 144 Cultivators; 2 Sets Cub #252 Cultivators; 3 Cub #193 Mouldboard Plows; 1 Cub #193 Slatted Plow; 1 1948 Cub-54 Snow Plow; 3 Cub-54 49-5 Snow Plows; Cub #6 Tool Bar w/Disc Blades & Middlebuster. 2-#105 sickle mowers, #152 disc plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cubfriend » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:43 pm

jaxcub2022 wrote:Help! lol I have a cub lowboy that I have not been able to start after I messed with the distributior positioning. I fiddled with it to try annd resolve what i think was low compression last time I was mowing with it. I have had the cub over 20 years and it ran fine. But now when I try to start it it either backfires or just grinds on the starter. I had to have trhe starter rebuilt and I am now ready to go back in and try starting it again. I did get another set of points and after replacing the kit no joy. I see these electronic start kits that say "never have to do points again... the current kit I am looking at is a Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit, 12 volt negative ground 4 Cyl Delco distributor with clips. My cub was converted to 12 volt many years ago. I have a new battery and ready to try starting the cub again, should I buy the kit and get away from the points all together?? Has anyone had success with the electronic start kits? please advise.

It was not normal for a Cub to have a Delco distributor. They usually had an IH distributor. Get the correct kit for it. Be sure of what you have before ordering the kit.
Frank

jaxcub2022
Zip Code: 32250

Postby jaxcub2022 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:52 pm

I finally stepped through the tractor with new plug wires, plugs, points condenser, and learning to find top dead center #1 and it started fine. Engin sounds soooooo sweet to hear again. Mowing with it this afternoon.

jaxcub2022

Postby jaxcub2022 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:03 pm

Is there any way to keep cub Farmall hydraulic from leaking through to the engine... I hear replacing the hydraulic o-ring is a repair option, but maybe use a thicker hydrhydraulic oil? any type of stop leak I could use on that? I have just been using a oil pump to draw the oil out of the tractor oil cap back to the hydraulic oil reserve. The tractor has worked okay like that for years.. I keep straight 40w in the tractor.

jaxcub2022

Postby jaxcub2022 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:08 pm

Thank YoU! I can agree now with experience in using it that way it was originally designed. But always open to learning about others experiences.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:19 pm

It is a fairly simple operation to replace that o-ring, depending on the condition of the pump shaft. It does require disconnecting the hydraulic manifold at both ends to remove the pump. Here is a HOW TO that can help:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=44196

Be advised that generally the hydraulic fluid is thinner than engine oil, so if you continue to simply pump out extra "engine oil" to reduce the level, eventually you will have ONLY hydraulic fluid in your engine...not good!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

jaxcub2022

Postby jaxcub2022 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:35 pm

Hi all, great advice. Thanks to all this SUCCESS!!!

Looking back, steps lead to learning and talking to a lot of interesting people. Still always trying to help the cub run better, without spending too much. It sure is nice to go out now and she starts every time.