This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Looking for info on a Cub in N. Florida

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Looking for info on a Cub in N. Florida

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:12 am

I remember looking that one over, at Roy’s, but I don’t know any specifics. As Don mentioned, Roy had a fleet of pretty nice tractors and he never mentioned any issues with that one. I wholly agree with your thoughts on hearing and driving it. There’s no way to be sure of what your getting, if you don’t. Surely, if they are any kind of shop, at all, they can get it running.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:28 am

PFord wrote:
In this neck of the woods that's pretty much going rate.

Evern with the price of gas I need to trailer a few cubs to Florida if that is the price they are going for.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 32312
Tractors Owned: 1975 International Cub

Postby PFord » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:18 am

inairam wrote:
PFord wrote:

Evern with the price of gas I need to trailer a few cubs to Florida if that is the price they are going for.

It is. And I'm in the market.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:26 am

inairam wrote:
PFord wrote:

This is 2 hours from me:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 1329c023e9

This is 4 hours away:

2 Hours:

4 hours away. Got excited until I realized I'd have to split the tractor most likely:

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:36 am

PFord wrote:
inairam wrote:
PFord wrote:

This is 2 hours from me:

This is 4 hours away:

2 Hours:

4 hours away. Got excited until I realized I'd have to split the tractor most likely:

As far as I know, cubs aren’t lacking in AL and GA. These will stay listed no telling how long. Two of the listings were listed over a week ago, so no one is knocking down their door. Heck, if I had what you were looking for and what you’re willing to pay, I’d load it up and deliver it to you for that price. And I’m in MS. Not trying to dissuade you from the one you’re looking at, but I’d hate to see you buy it for that price and down the road feel like you’ve made a mistake.
Thomas

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:04 am

tmays wrote:
As far as I know, cubs aren’t lacking in AL and GA. These will stay listed no telling how long. Two of the listings were listed over a week ago, so no one is knocking down their door. Heck, if I had what you were looking for and what you’re willing to pay, I’d load it up and deliver it to you for that price. And I’m in MS. Not trying to dissuade you from the one you’re looking at, but I’d hate to see you buy it for that price and down the road feel like you’ve made a mistake.

I've looked in other places where prices were more favorable. Here's my issue...

I could buy a cheaper cub further away. But then I'd have to get it shipped. And not knowing the seller, I'd be buying blind. So let's say I found what was represented to be a great runner in the midwest for $2500. I pay for it, pay maybe $600 to get it shippied (that's a wild guess). Now I'm into it $3100. Maybe it works great, but if not, now I've got a little work to do. Maybe it needs plugs, points, belts. A tune up. Now I'm $3300 in.

Or, I can buy one locally I can drive, examine, understand the issues, and maybe get a bead on the history. I sleep better knowing what I'm about to get into.

This is what I've been fighting the past several months. And it's a large part of why I've been watching cub videos non-stop, and joining forums such as this one. Just to learn. What are the big jobs, what is stuff that is common, and what is too much to deal with?

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:30 am

PFord wrote:I need to do some work right now and I need something that can do it pronto.

What kind of work do you need it for? Finding correct complete implements might be harder than finding a tractor.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:37 am

indy61 wrote:
PFord wrote:I need to do some work right now and I need something that can do it pronto.

What kind of work do you need it for? Finding correct complete implements might be harder than finding a tractor.

Just yard cleanup. Towing deadfall, and pulling a wagon around the yard to move lumber and concrete for my construction projects. Implements won't be a problem.

wrz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 85233
Tractors Owned: 47 Fcub
51 Fcub
57 Lo Boy FH
59 Lo Boy FH 45 Loader

Postby wrz » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:58 am

The cub in Dothan AL appears to be a longstripe which were made 75 to 79 which would be newer (as much as 25 years).It could have less wear ,key start,more HP and zenith carb.
Wm

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:00 pm

PFord wrote:
Waif wrote:If it's going to keep setting around and I was interested in it enough , I'd confirm it's a 6 volt system and bring a 6 volt to try to fire it up.
A check of the points condition , engine oil level check , peak in the fuel tank with a flashlight , and oil priming prior to any cranking.

Today I'd be hopin they put a weak or worse12V battery in to try to start it if it's still a 6V ignition. If it (12V) came to the seller with the tractor..... It's check it out time for proper voltage requirement per previous use / set up. Even if prior owner had it wrong.
A check of the cables would tell if they grounded the positive or the negative as well. After you figure out which it should be on that tractor and why.

I should have mentioned that I had a peek at the gas tank (no rust and just a little fuel in it), I checked the engine oil level and it was full and looked like it hadn't been run many hours. I've looked at a LOT of Cub and FarmAll videos but have not seen a guide on how to prime it. Can you point me to a source on that?

I've been sorely tempted to bring a 6v battery to test it with, but I really just don't want to spend the money. They will probably be open tomorrow, so I'll drop by and see if I can talk to the shop owner about it.

Is there ANY way it could be a 12v system and still have a generator on it and not an alternator? I'm thinking no.

The plugs look VERY old and that was something I was going to change out nearly as soon as I got it home. But I didn't want to jump the gun too much on getting ready to do work. I need to keep emotions in check and make sure I'm making a business decision, no matter how much I want to bring that little cub home!

If they can't get it started, I'll offer $2k. If they bite I'll bring it home and do the work. Otherwise I'll sadly have to pass I think.

You'll probably want a new gasket. Or else the old one might fail because you don't have another ...
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=99889

They can sit awhile and be alright.
But after a long sit it's best to prime them. A year arguably is a long sit. On a tired engine a few months is a long sit.
IF as you stated the grass ain't dead underfoot , I'd ask the owner if it was driven there or pushed or towed or something.

Potato Wilson
Zip Code: 95667
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub (the Wife’s)
1946 2N (I call it a 9N)
2013 JD 3320
2015 Kubota U25
1966 JD 110

Postby Potato Wilson » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:09 pm

Good on ya for not letting people beat you up over what you might spend on it. People could beat on me all day over what I’ve spent on my tractors, but it would otherwise never cross my mind! You can’t put a price on the fun I’ve had, or the smiles in kids faces…. And I’ve managed to do a lot of work with them along the way too. :tractor:

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:45 pm

Waif wrote:You'll probably want a new gasket. Or else the old one might fail because you don't have another ...
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=99889

They can sit awhile and be alright.
But after a long sit it's best to prime them. A year arguably is a long sit. On a tired engine a few months is a long sit.
IF as you stated the grass ain't dead underfoot , I'd ask the owner if it was driven there or pushed or towed or something.

New gasket? You mean a head gasket? If I buy it, I'll probably end up going through a LOT of the gaskets (and wiring). The people I talked to said they have driven it several times in that year it's been there. And I believe them.

I'm going up there in a few minutes to talk to the store owner if he's there. This is not at an automotive shop, it's an an antique store so they don't really have automotive tools and such.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:47 pm

Potato Wilson wrote:Good on ya for not letting people beat you up over what you might spend on it. People could beat on me all day over what I’ve spent on my tractors, but it would otherwise never cross my mind! You can’t put a price on the fun I’ve had, or the smiles in kids faces…. And I’ve managed to do a lot of work with them along the way too. :tractor:

LOL! I have ideas of what I want to spend and that's on me. To be fair, hiring someone to do what I'm doing would cost 3x as much as the tractor, and we all KNOW what a new compact Kubota or Mahindra would cost. So I'm playing with house money as far as that is concerned.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:20 pm

Well,

I took the old girl for a spin. Started right up, no problems. Oil was good, PTO was good, clutch was good if a bit grabby, but I've not driven a tractor before. Guess it shouldn't feel like a Porsche! I'll do final checks tomorrow but put a deposit down on it. So hopefully she'll be coming home with me tomorrow at lunch and I'll be a Cub owner!

Happy with the decision. Hopefully, I'll feel the same in a month!

BTW, what gas/additives to you guys put in your fuel? I know these came from the world of leaded gasoline!

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:35 pm

No additives needed, they run fine on reg 87 oct fuel.