This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission oil level plug?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission oil level plug?

Postby inairam » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:38 am

Dale Finch wrote:Plus, the oil could be floating on top of water, or in most cases mixed in with water to make a nice "chocolate milkshake"! :|

It is never had it low it is always over full due to water. Looking at what comes out of the fill plug could be misleading. if you see oil it does not tell you if there is water lower down so you are draining anyway. If I am concerned about the tranny I drain and refill. Checking the level with the full plug, to me, is just more aggravation than it is worth.

I have started changing the trans oil in the fall on my cubs I plan to run over the winter.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:01 am

I always check with the fill plug. If it was filled to the proper level the last time you checked, and if oil comes pouring out when you take the fill plug out, there’s water in there. If the tractor has been sitting long enough for the water to separate, I have pulled the drain plug and let water out until I see gear oil then plug it back up and top off if needed
Thomas

elongest
Zip Code: 23111

Postby elongest » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:28 pm

For a 1952 Cub. The date code was 2.15.X which was correct for a 52. The trans/diff case P/N 351530-R3 reading upside down through the grease.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:49 pm

OK. Not a Cub Cadet case. The level plug should be right next to the casting date code. You may find that it has been broken off and covered with grease and dirt.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:53 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:
PFord wrote:LOL... Young fella at NAPA last weekend had zero idea what a feeler gauge was, and looked lost when I asked for 90wt. When I said gear oil he got it. A young lady at the store who didn't look like she was even working at the time, walked right over to the feeler gauges and grabbed one. I get that not everyone is a gear head. But dang, at least have some knowledge of the basics.

JMHO, unless they can punch it in the computer and it tells them everything they need to know to make a sale, they are :lost:. I just look for the oldest guy in the place, more likely to have been exposed at sometime in the past. :hattip:

I use to work at a parts store when I was younger, and this was 20 years ago. I was kind of that kid at that point. But I knew what your talking about and did then too. But here is the thing, even if you don't know the computer would have told him and showed him a picture bor told him where in the store it was if he didn't know.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:56 pm

Don McCombs wrote:OK. Not a Cub Cadet case. The level plug should be right next to the casting date code. You may find that it has been broken off and covered with grease and dirt.

This was kind of my first thought but he said it's not there so I assumed he cleaned it really well and confirmed no froken plug

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:07 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:
Don McCombs wrote:OK. Not a Cub Cadet case. The level plug should be right next to the casting date code. You may find that it has been broken off and covered with grease and dirt.

This was kind of my first thought but he said it's not there so I assumed he cleaned it really well and confirmed no froken plug

Here in parts of Mississippi we have what is called gumbo mud, aka red clay that's world famous. Every MLB ballfield's pitchers mound is our red clay. When that stuff dries and sits for 50+ years it is smooth. Looks like the cast tranny housing and you need a chisel n hammer to break it off. I've seen it over 2" thick and you ain't gonna know there's a drain, fill or even bolts under it till you start breaking it off. Not sayin that's the case here but it maybe, I've even seen shiny red paint on it and you would swear it was part of the casting.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan