This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Looking for info on a Cub in N. Florida

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 32312
Tractors Owned: 1975 International Cub

Re: Looking for info on a Cub in N. Florida

Postby PFord » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:44 pm

indy61 wrote:No additives needed, they run fine on reg 87 oct fuel.

Awesome! That's the ONLY vehicle I'll now own that doesn't need premium or non-ethanol!

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Waif » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:53 pm

PFord wrote:
Waif wrote:You'll probably want a new gasket. Or else the old one might fail because you don't have another ...
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=99889

They can sit awhile and be alright.
But after a long sit it's best to prime them. A year arguably is a long sit. On a tired engine a few months is a long sit.
IF as you stated the grass ain't dead underfoot , I'd ask the owner if it was driven there or pushed or towed or something.

New gasket? You mean a head gasket? If I buy it, I'll probably end up going through a LOT of the gaskets (and wiring). The people I talked to said they have driven it several times in that year it's been there. And I believe them.

I'm going up there in a few minutes to talk to the store owner if he's there. This is not at an automotive shop, it's an an antique store so they don't really have automotive tools and such.

oil filter gasket.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:04 pm

Waif wrote:oil filter gasket.

Ahhhh yep!

I'll be going through the tractor with a fine tooth comb this weekend and then ordering up some parts next week. A couple of oil filters, new plugs and plug wires, distributor cap. I'll be going through all the grease points this weekend. I'm sure it's been a good long while since it's had any of that done. Didn't see any wobble on the wheel bearings but I'll get them greased up too. And probably buy a new battery.

I'm sure there will be many months of projects as I go through all the systems the rest of the year.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:18 pm

Non-ethanol fuel isn’t required, but is desirable if you can tolerate the cost.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:48 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Non-ethanol fuel isn’t required, but is desirable if you can tolerate the cost.

Mine won't be seeing heavy run times so I can probably tolerate it. Cheaper than my other vehicles.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:50 am

Well, I’m glad this has worked out for you. I’m also happy to hear that one of Roy’s cubs has found a new, loving home. If you encounter any issues, with it, we’re here for you.

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:48 am

Prices here in Mississippi are high too. It's cheaper to buy an A-140 than a Cub. C-230 and H-350 are even cheaper. M's n variants are higher. I think it's funny (as in queer) that the poorest States in America charge the most for Cub tractors. From LA-FL up to AR, TN, haven't priced GA but I think them too. All these farming States want $3000-$5000 for good running to parade ready cubs. I've seen junkers selling for $1000-$2000 around here. I call or if real close go by these and tell them those pieces of junk are only worth a little over scrap yard price. If they don't want to go down in price I just say here is my number, call when ready to talk, but know it will be lower then as you've waisted my time today.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:16 am

BullDAWG wrote:Prices here in Mississippi are high too. It's cheaper to buy an A-140 than a Cub. C-230 and H-350 are even cheaper. M's n variants are higher. I think it's funny (as in queer) that the poorest States in America charge the most for Cub tractors. From LA-FL up to AR, TN, haven't priced GA but I think them too. All these farming States want $3000-$5000 for good running to parade ready cubs. I've seen junkers selling for $1000-$2000 around here. I call or if real close go by these and tell them those pieces of junk are only worth a little over scrap yard price. If they don't want to go down in price I just say here is my number, call when ready to talk, but know it will be lower then as you've waisted my time today.

I’m in MS also. Those cubs priced that high aren’t selling. They stay for sale, they disappear from the ads, then they appear again. The best way to find a cub(or any tractor) at a good price is networking, friendships and just keeping an eye or ear out for one. Sometimes one will pop up in ads for a decent price and usually gone before you get a shot at it unless you’re lucky. Folks think since they have an antique tractor that it’s worth something until they find out it’s not.
Thomas

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:58 am

tmays wrote:
BullDAWG wrote:Prices here in Mississippi are high too. It's cheaper to buy an A-140 than a Cub. C-230 and H-350 are even cheaper. M's n variants are higher. I think it's funny (as in queer) that the poorest States in America charge the most for Cub tractors. From LA-FL up to AR, TN, haven't priced GA but I think them too. All these farming States want $3000-$5000 for good running to parade ready cubs. I've seen junkers selling for $1000-$2000 around here. I call or if real close go by these and tell them those pieces of junk are only worth a little over scrap yard price. If they don't want to go down in price I just say here is my number, call when ready to talk, but know it will be lower then as you've waisted my time today.

I’m in MS also. Those cubs priced that high aren’t selling. They stay for sale, they disappear from the ads, then they appear again. The best way to find a cub(or any tractor) at a good price is networking, friendships and just keeping an eye or ear out for one. Sometimes one will pop up in ads for a decent price and usually gone before you get a shot at it unless you’re lucky. Folks think since they have an antique tractor that it’s worth something until they find out it’s not.

This is how I got both of our 140's, word of mouth and both from friends. Bought one for $2,000 and the other for $2,200. One is nice, the other is mint. Both came with fast hitch, cultivators, and fertilizer attachments.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:23 am

PFord wrote:Well,

I took the old girl for a spin. Started right up, no problems. Oil was good, PTO was good, clutch was good if a bit grabby, but I've not driven a tractor before. Guess it shouldn't feel like a Porsche! I'll do final checks tomorrow but put a deposit down on it. So hopefully she'll be coming home with me tomorrow at lunch and I'll be a Cub owner!

Happy with the decision. Hopefully, I'll feel the same in a month!

BTW, what gas/additives to you guys put in your fuel? I know these came from the world of leaded gasoline!

Congratulations on the new-to-you Cub! Hope it really works out well for you.

As for gas, not everybody has straight gasoline available to them. I do and use it in all my lawn mowers, tractors, chainsaw, lawn trimmer, and blower. It's not how often you use ethanol gas, but that it sits in the carb 24/7. In older tractors, it can start to erode and deteriorate the bowl and internals.

As for the clutch, remember, these Cubs are not shift on the fly. Keep clutch depressed, select gear, and then gently ease off the clutch pedal. To change to another gear, depress clutch pedal, use brake to come to a complete stop, select another gear and depress clutch pedal.

Glad you got one of Mr. E's Cubs!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:09 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Well, I’m glad this has worked out for you. I’m also happy to hear that one of Roy’s cubs has found a new, loving home. If you encounter any issues, with it, we’re here for you.

Much appreciated. I think he'd be happy that it went not only to a loving home, but the home of a photographer and coach! :)

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:14 am

Stanton wrote:
Congratulations on the new-to-you Cub! Hope it really works out well for you.

As for gas, not everybody has straight gasoline available to them. I do and use it in all my lawn mowers, tractors, chainsaw, lawn trimmer, and blower. It's not how often you use ethanol gas, but that it sits in the carb 24/7. In older tractors, it can start to erode and deteriorate the bowl and internals.

As for the clutch, remember, these Cubs are not shift on the fly. Keep clutch depressed, select gear, and then gently ease off the clutch pedal. To change to another gear, depress clutch pedal, use brake to come to a complete stop, select another gear and depress clutch pedal.

Glad you got one of Mr. E's Cubs!

That is good to keep in mind. Thank you. I think I'll get better with some practice.

And yea, that makes sense with the gasoline. Fortunately, I have a couple stations nearby that sell ethanol free. I use that in my pressure washer and mowers. So I''ll just get a bigger can to use for the tractor. The way the cub sips gas, I imagine I won't be using all that much.

Looking forward to ownership. I hope the tractor gods are kind to me!

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:00 pm

Welp, she's mine. Pulled her into the garage 20 minutes ago! Now the work starts... but not in this 100F+ heat!
Attachments
PFord_Cub1.jpg

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:52 pm

Is that a cup holder on the steering support shaft? I wouldn't mind having one of those. Might be the lightning but every add on that is blue looks to be a different color blue and none look like the darker blue IH used on implements.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:10 pm

BullDAWG wrote:Is that a cup holder on the steering support shaft? I wouldn't mind having one of those. Might be the lightning but every add on that is blue looks to be a different color blue and none look like the darker blue IH used on implements.

IT IS a cup holder! I wasn't too sure about it, and thought I'd probably take it off... then today, I saw my big Milwaukee insulated mug fit perfect and I was like, well...

And yea, the blue is ummm... interesting. I'll be buying an HVLP gun in a month or two and I'll be respraying a few things. :)