This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

hastily repaired rods and bolts.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 95614

Re: hastily repaired rods and bolts.

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:49 am

SamsFarm wrote:
Stoffregen Motorsports wrote:I understand. It can be worrisome. Besides, you have to take it in context. What's the worst that could happen? You don't need this tractor to drive to work. Hobbies are supposed to be fun.

I dont know about for pett3227b.....
But some of us might not get crops in the ground, have a tractor to cultivate with, get a wagon load of hay to feed livestock, etc etc. :(

Sure we like our tractors, but for some of us, they are not exactly a hobby! :)

Cool. Nothing more satisfying than getting work done with classic equipment.

pett3227b
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28327

Postby pett3227b » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:32 am

Okay I Plastigauged the rod bearings. Piston numbers one and two were at 2 thousandths of an inch clearance. Piston number three was at about 1.75 thousands of an inch in clearance. The Number 4 piston rod had only 1.5 thousanths of an inch in clearance. Is this close enough to spec? or should I take additional steps?

Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 95614

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:33 am

Sorry, I have been busy preparing for our first race of the season.

If the rods caps are all on the right rods and in the proper direction (tang to tang), then .0015" is not overly tight. Modern oils have higher film strength and can handle tighter clearances.

Again, this advice comes with a disclaimer. Not being there to see for myself.