This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rebuild of the hydraulic pump with X-O ring and speedi sleeve, well sorta.....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights
Circle of Safety: Y

Rebuild of the hydraulic pump with X-O ring and speedi sleeve, well sorta.....

Postby ShawnAgne » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:35 pm

Well my rebuild kit came today so I had the all important little round rubber pin seal so I could finally rebuild the pump.

I polished out the hole where the shaft goes to remove any burs and I installed the X-O ring. it actually went it very easy. I beveled the leading edge of the pump shaft so it would insert into the X O ring. If you don't do this you can't get it in. So I next installed the speedi sleeve where I needed it and removed the lip. This is where the fun began. After doing this i noticed the speedi sleeve was going to be VERY tight in the X O ring, didn't think to much about it. Then I proceeded to put the pump back together.

If you are using a speedi sleeve the brass bearing WONT fit over it. So this had me ticked off, had removed the lip so only way to remove it was to heat it. It slipped off, but the light pressure of the pliers put some gouges in it and then I couldn't get it back on. $17 down the drain.

SOO, I reassembled the pump anyways. There was enough clearance on the inside of the pump shaft that I installed a 2nd X o ring on the shaft itself. Thought was it will also help seal stuff up. After I got it all together could tell it was definitely tighter. Installed it on the tractor and started it up. Pump started to make the high pitch whine that it had been making since I rebuild it back in fall of 2017. Thought this may be due to air in the lines so I removed the fill cap and left it run and the whine went away.

Haven't ran it long enough to tell if the leak is fixed but I don't have the extra noise I'd been having so that is telling me it probably is fixed.

Now if it ends up leaking again I will get a speedi sleeve and go that route but bottom line is if you use the speedi sleeve from what I can see you have to install it AFTER you install the brass bushing. However like I said the fit is going to be VERY tight with an X o ring so maybe the o ring that comes with the rebuild kit is all you need, I dunno.

Hope this helps.
Shawn Agne

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights

Re: Rebuild of the hydraulic pump with X-O ring and speedi sleeve, well sorta.....

Postby ShawnAgne » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 am

Well it still appears to be leaking through the pump albeit slower. So have another Speedo sleeve ordered which is now $13 on amazon. So will post pics once installed.
Shawn Agne

tgrist
Zip Code: 81303

Re: Rebuild of the hydraulic pump with X-O ring and speedi sleeve, well sorta.....

Postby tgrist » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:57 pm

I have the same problem. Did the speedy sleeve work? Also, I can’t find the speed of the on Amazon or anywhere else. Where did you get it?

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:01 am

ShawnAgne wrote:Well it still appears to be leaking through the pump albeit slower. So have another Speedo sleeve ordered which is now $13 on amazon. So will post pics once installed.

Which SPEEDI-SLEEVE did you order?
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety