This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear Cub Rims

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482
Circle of Safety: Y

Rear Cub Rims

Postby halftonstude » Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 am

Hello Gang, i've been posting and answering on occasion since i joined, and enjoy tremendously reading. I've submitted a few searches of the forum to try to find the answer to my question, but sometimes the searches ignore the word "rim" so i thought I should ask point blank. I have a Feb '52 cub i'm restoring and when i removed the rear wheels a few weeks ago noticed one wheel has square loops with a single rivet on each side to which the wheel centers attach, and one has round loops that are spot welded - i.e. the rims different ages. One i can read stamped into the steel quite clearly the size of the rim etc. I started looking for another old rim to match mine and am running into a plethera of rims! Found one on CL that has TWO rivets on both sides with a different shaped square loop. Is there a list somewhere that shows what (OEM) rims were used when? I'm thinking there are probably a dozen companies that have made rims, OEM and aftermarket. Unfortunately, I suffer from CDO, which means I'll have to at least have matching rims, but hopefully of the correct year. (For those of you who do not know anybody with CDO, they suffer from the exact same symptoms as people with OCD obsessive compulsive disorder......but at least the letters are in alphabetical order... ;o) ) Thanks for any and all advice.
c

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Rear Cub Rims

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed May 15, 2019 9:21 am

If you look in any parts manual for the Cub, all the rear rims have square loops with 4 rivets which are no longer made. Aftermarket rims have the round loops. Your rim with two rivets is probably off another brand of tractor, and both rear rims have been replaced.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed May 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi,
There have been posts on here before about that topic.
As I remember, people said the rims made by Good Year had 2 large rivets holding each lug on,
and the rims made by Firestone had 4 smaller rivets holding each lug on.

Below is a page from the TC 37A Cub parts manual, from 1949, showing wheel weights on wheels, the rim on the left has 2 rivets holding the lug on.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... e%2086.jpg

If you remove the rear tires from the rims, there is usually info stamped into the rim, with the maker of the rim, and the date it was made.
Below are pics from Shane N. of Firestone rims from 1947.

Below is a listing from TM Tractor for a new rim, you can see the lugs in the pics. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/wh/724fp.htm
Attachments
Cub wheel 6.jpg
Cub wheel 6.jpg (14.53 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Cub wheel 7.jpg
Cub wheel 7.jpg (14.75 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Cub wheel 8.jpg
Cub wheel 8.jpg (16.98 KiB) Viewed 761 times

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed May 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Glen, You're probably right about the Goodyear rim. The parts manuals don't show them though.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu May 16, 2019 8:04 pm

The number of rivets may also depend on the rim width. Generally, it took a different loop for each width.

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482

Postby halftonstude » Wed May 22, 2019 4:03 pm

Well what an amazing story I now have to tell. First, i found a guy on CL that had a ton of Cubs and parts, said to call or email him. So i did, and he had an old rim, with two rivets for each loop like mine has. Offered me a price I said great we exchanged photos and phone numbers and I set off to meet this fellow. I learned a lot, Goodyear made rims and so did Firestone, and numbers of rivets, and spot welds and whole bunches of interesting stuff. I was amazed at what i was learning from this guy. Then he shows me his machine shop and Cub parts galore! Galore and hither and yon! We chatted for probably half an hour and he said here let me give you my business card and I said sure, but... wait a minute... i have this card stuck to my fridge, how did i get this card already? I stood there in amazement until he said well maybe I shipped you something before, like the rear seal carrier for an engine? I machine those, and goodness gracious I met Tim tst! I did exchange a rear main seal carrier with him holy cow what an amazing find! And he's just an hour from me! I have a new source for parts! Thanks Tim!!!!