This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hillers

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hillers

Postby Jack » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Super A wrote:
Jack wrote:which disc hiller would work best for the cub, 12" or 14" I probably plan on using it on the front and rear of the cub.

I think (notice I say THINK!) the IH hillers were 14" when new. I think you'd be ok with either.

Al

Thank you
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:26 pm

I got the 16" 22" length shafts. They move more dirt, and can dig deeper than the smaller, shorter hillers.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:38 pm

For a home garden, I use 12" hillers on 16" straight shafts. No complaints here, but the "home garden" proviso holds. I've got a doubt that my setup would yield a nice wide flat bed for strawberries. The reason is that with, say, a 4' wide setting on the wheels, the hillers doing down maybe 10" would be...48" - 20" (10" on each side) or about 2' of a "flat." A smoothing bar run behind might knock this down some for a more suitable setup for strawberries...or at least one I've seen of strawberry fields around here. Being a home gardener, I knock the crown off with a straight tine rake and I'm not fussy about regularized rows the way a commercial farmer might be.

It makes me wonder about rear hillers that might reach beyond the tire tracks. But that's beyond what I have or know about.

Of course you'll never know what works or doesn't if you don't try. A few runs in the garden today with the hillers was a disaster due to the soil being way too wet--wet clayey soils clinging to the hillers...I could shake it all loose with the Touch Control, but it continued to get all goo-ed up on the next dip into the garden. So I quit. And there's nothing but rain in the forecast. So I'll not be able to give you a photo of my hilling in any time soon.

Bottom line from me: Good Luck!

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 pm

I keep tossing around should I get the 12 or should I get the 14 ,either or I will get the 16" shank
I plan on working a couple acres

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:46 pm

I attached large shovels to my rear cult arms and made 40” beds from middle to middle. Yes, that makes bed a little high on each side, but easily knocked down. Tried posting a pic but too large. Can send pic if interested
Thomas

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:47 pm

tmays wrote:I attached large shovels to my rear cult arms and made 40” beds from middle to middle. Yes, that makes bed a little high on each side, but easily knocked down. Tried posting a pic but too large. Can send pic if interested

I would like to see the beds and your setup

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 pm

Jack wrote:
tmays wrote:I attached large shovels to my rear cult arms and made 40” beds from middle to middle. Yes, that makes bed a little high on each side, but easily knocked down. Tried posting a pic but too large. Can send pic if interested

I would like to see the beds and your setup

Need your email or phone number to send pic. Don’t have a closeup of setup
Thomas

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:36 pm

The problem with hills is that it makes it awful hard to weed the crops!--- I did the sweet potatoes last year and no way could we cultivate them. ended up crawling down the rows with a small hand hoe to loosen up the hard dirt on top of the hills.
In some areas, hills might work but not here in central Il.!
I have a setup like Granto 46 has, and several regular cub hillers, not impressed with any of them. Good luck with your venture!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:59 pm

SONNY wrote:The problem with hills is that it makes it awful hard to weed the crops!--- I did the sweet potatoes last year and no way could we cultivate them. ended up crawling down the rows with a small hand hoe to loosen up the hard dirt on top of the hills.
In some areas, hills might work but not here in central Il.!
I have a setup like Granto 46 has, and several regular cub hillers, not impressed with any of them. Good luck with your venture!

Hillers, rolling cultivators, or buzzard wings work well for cultivating hilled up rows. You just add more dirt and cover weeds.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022