This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Govenor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Williamb
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70420
Tractors Owned: 1962 Ford 4000
?1951 Farmall Cub

Govenor

Postby Williamb » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:09 pm

So I can start my Cub but have no throttle control. With the engine off I can move the throttle linkage and it seems to move the carb connection. With the engine started the throttle does nothing. I tried lubricating all the external parts but don't relish taking off the governor. I'm not sure what I should do to externally adjust the throttle. The spring at the governor doesn't seem to have much tension perhaps the linkage should be tightened?
Any ideas from a real mechanic appreciated.
Thanks

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Govenor

Postby MiCarl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:05 pm

I haven't seen your particular problem but do have some thoughts about diagnosis:

First, since things move with the engine off lubrication/sticking is probably not your issue.

When you move the lever on the steering post you pull on that spring and the spring in turn pulls the throttle open and moves pulls the governor weights in. When the governor is spinning the centrifugal force of the spinning weights works against the spring to push the throttle closed. The balance between the spring tension and centrifugal force is what keeps the engine at a constant speed.

Of course when the engine isn't turning there isn't any centrifugal force and the throttle will snap wide open with little lever travel.

For some reason the weights in the governor and their centrifugal force is overcoming the spring tension. The lever the spring attaches to is known to break. I'd inspect it for any cracks. If it looks good I'd double check where the spring attaches at both ends and make sure it's installed properly.

If it all looks good I'd replace that spring before doing anything else. Make sure you get the right spring for your tractor. There were at least two different ones and I'm not sure off hand which goes to which model of tractor.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi,
You didn't say what year the Cub is.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the governor housing with the spring, you can see if yours looks the same. They need oiling where the cotter key is, they can get tight on the pivot there with no oil.

Below is a listing at TM Tractor for a new governor spring. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gv/357fp.htm

I sent you a PM.
Attachments
Cub gov 3.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 43506
Tractors Owned: International Harvester International Cub Lo Boy & C3 Rotary Mower
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Postby Ruralguy57 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:44 pm

I do have some idea of what may be happening here. On my Cub, the throttle was frozen. The people who sold it to me only used the choke to control how it operated. The only movement when using the throttle control the arm was it bowed and that was it. Is it possible that the throttle arm is rusted tite on the throttle shaft pin, and only moves maybe 1/2 inch or less forward or backwards? Once I loosened up the two, and the throttle seemed to work easier, back and forth on the notches on the throttle plate, I then had to look at the arm that connected the shaft of the carb to the cross over arm of the governor on the left side of the tractor. There is a "U" shaped hasp that is held together on the threaded shaft with a lock nut and pin and cotter key. My Cub would not run evenly. In fact it bellowed....ran up and then down and up and down and then eventually shut off. In my case, I had to adjust that hasp. I worked the throttle to the max and minimum while adjusting the hasp. Once that range was achieved in the notches, [note: I moved the hasp toward the seat first then I had to move the hasp toward the radiator] and the hasp was adjusted the tractor ran fine. You may have to loosen the throttle shaft that could have been rusted on the pin as it was on my Cub. [I am not sure if techniques on loosening are allowed in discussion] I also took out the carb and blew it out with air with out separating the carb and replaced it. I hope my trials helps you with yours.

Richard

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi,
Richard, that is a clevis on the throttle rod, ahead of the carburetor, the Cub and LoBoy parts manual calls it.
It has to be adjusted to the right position, so the governor will work right. :)
Last edited by Glen on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 43506
Tractors Owned: International Harvester International Cub Lo Boy & C3 Rotary Mower
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Postby Ruralguy57 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Glen, you are so right....

I agree...300%....the Cub will not run well if it is not. I fought it for several days prior to adjustment!

Richard

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:23 am

99% of the time problems are in the throttle to governor and or governor to carb linkage. 1% or less of the time it is the governor. Exhaust all other possibilities before messing with the governor itself. I have had throttle stick to shafts. The rod from the throttle to the governor in backward so it binds, the lever on the governer frozen to the shaft spring broke or weak, shaft to carb frozen, rust on the shaft end going to carb binding throttle linkage.

There are a number of things that a little sandpaper and oil are very easy to fix.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Return to “Farmall Cub”