This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Drug home a 51 called Mr. T

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mike in CO
Zip Code: 81403

Drug home a 51 called Mr. T

Postby Mike in CO » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:37 am

Well, when the ad came out, it said 48 Cub but now I have the serial number which is: 132163. So if I read the chart correctly, it is a '51. Anyway, it doesn't make any difference to me what year.

I am hopeful of getting a working tractor out of it with a cultivator set up. I got a lot of cultivator pieces with the tractor but don't know if I have all that would be needed. Just have to compare to the manual.

The seller told me some vandals took some things off of it but I suspect it was the fellow that was working on it. I can only imagine he had a bunch of parts in boxes but his family has not found it. : (

The biggest thing that is missing besides the grill is the generator. Then gas cap, air breather cap and oil cap. One rear weight is missing. I just have a feeling that when the feller that had the tractor became ill, he had the tractor at a different location and someone in the family moved it later. It don't matter except I sure would have like to get the rest of the tractor. bummer.

Got my work cut our for me. Need to get a repair manual (s). Owner's, operator manual. Lots to do and lots to figure out.
I will post the pictures I have so far:
IMG_3092.JPG
IMG_3093.JPG
IMG_3096.JPG
IMG_3095.JPG
IMG_3098.JPG
IMG_3097.JPG

Mike in CO

Re: Drug home a 51 called Mr. T

Postby Mike in CO » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:43 am

Also missing the drawbar and all that. : (. Thanks Bob for contacting me about that. I will most like get with you.

Looks like I will need a big tub for the electrolysis tank. Stock watering tank comes to mind. :)

Mike in CO

Postby Mike in CO » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:47 pm

I drug this plow home with the tractor. Don't know how usable it is. Had to pull it out of adobe dirt so it is rusted bad.
IMG_3100.JPG
IMG_3099.JPG

Another piece was the lever for tilting the drawbar/plow attachment.

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:13 pm

Good for you! Rust? All of them usually have it and it is fun to see the transformation. Have fun learning

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:55 pm

Hi,
The Cub owner's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1950 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that Cubs originally had, up to Cub serial number 115403, which was made during 1950.
IH changed the electrical system then some.
The Battery Ignition unit, and voltage regulator came out then.
Info for the 1951 Cub electrical system is in the 1952 and 1955 operator's manuals.

Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.
Page 2 in the manual shows where the serial number is.
There is an engine serial number, it is different, after the first Cubs in 1947.

The Touch Control uses Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says to also.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

The owner's manual tells how to check and change the oils, and what oils to use.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made.

The 1952 Cub operator's manual is at the top left of the page, at Quick links, then go to PDF Manuals.
I can't post it here. :)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:10 pm

It shows the Cub drawbar on pages 42 and 43 in the owner's manual above.

The Cub drawbar needs 4 of the IH tapered head bolts to hold it onto the final drives.

Below is a listing at TM Tractor for new bolts.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gb/324fp.htm

Below is the Cub service manual, it has lots of info.
There is a contents beginning on page 1 of most sections. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:35 pm

Mike good luck with Mr. T .
It looks like you need a little TLC or maybe a lot of it. :D
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:14 am

Hi,
TM Tractor at the bottom of the page has some of the things you said are missing from your Cub.

Below is a listing for a new air cleaner cap.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/ae/1462fp.htm

Below is a listing for a new grille.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/tg/864fp.htm

JP Tractor Salvage at the bottom of the page has used Cub parts, they might have the things that are missing.

Usually they say on here to give the engine a compression test, so you partly know what condition the engine is in.
Remove all 4 spark plugs so they are out of the engine at the same time.
Use the starter for the test, not the hand crank.
Charge the battery fully before doing the test.
Charge a new battery too, they are not always fully charged. Use a small output battery charger, and let it charge slowly, it may take several hours.
Open the throttle fully, so the engine can get air for the test.
I write down the results so I have a record.

The Cub service manual says a Cub engine has 120 lbs of compression. That is probably for a new engine. Some less is ok, 90 lbs or more is ok. :)

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:51 am

Congrats, Mike.

There’s a few ways to get manuals on here:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

Might also benefit from reading the list in this thread: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Ask questions when/if they arise. Have fun.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Mike in CO

Postby Mike in CO » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:06 am

An update on this tractor...I went ahead and advertised it on CL because I have a couple other projects that have to come before it. Just can't fit them all in right now. I'm hopeful there is someone out there looking for just such a project. It would be a fun one. If it don't sell, I will work on it myself. I can't give it away but I will work with an interested person who appreciates the Cub.