This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cant seem to find ND30 Oil

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
burntmacncheese
Zip Code: 20132
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall cub #5281

Cant seem to find ND30 Oil

Postby burntmacncheese » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:25 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently was given my uncles 1947 Cub #5281. I live in a suburb of Washington DC and I drive the cub around my neighborhood and park it in my garage. It runs well and I closely study the books that came with the tractor. It is fun seeing the adults and children watch me drive by having never even seen a tractor before. Cub #5281 is basically a "city tractor" at this point.

So here is my stupid question:

I am trying to get some non-detergent SAE30 oil for the tractor. It was rebuilt by my uncle 30 years ago, but it has always run ND30 and he was adamant that I not try to convert it to a modern oil. All the ND30 oil I can buy seems to be intended for air compressors and lubricating oil, and not motor oil. I see some "Valvoline Non Detergent Oil SAE 30 ISO 100". The packaging says its for air compressors and the like. I called the Valvoline hot line and they have said that its the same exact oil and they just changed the marketing.

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-SAE-No ... C52&sr=8-4

Can i use this Vavoline in the cub? What ND30 oil do you buy? where do you get it from? Does it say "motor oil" or is it marked as "lubricating oil" for air compressors?

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: Cant seem to find ND30 Oil

Postby SamsFarm » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:19 am

Deere has sae30

TY26791

008CEAC4-2FCF-4C69-8B53-A6053AAAEFA3.png

But I like things simple, and use Rotella 15/40 in my cub
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Clemsonfor » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:09 am

Have you been to a store or just looked on Amazon and the internet? What you show is ND30. Tractor Supply Company also sells ND30 in their house brand Traveller and maybe other brands as well. Possible they don't have it on the shelf due to these weird supply issues but you can order to your door or pickup in the store. Walmart use to sell it but I could see them not anymore these days. Any real auto parts store probably has it as well.

Watch out though and read labels if your stuck on useing non detergent I think some of these oils that are labeled SAE30 might be detergent oils.

As far as tractor supply company, I am not sure how much you live in the city but I would bet there is no TSC in DC. There usually in more rural or suburban areas but your definition of suburbs and mine may be different.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:18 am

I would ask why you want non-detergent SAE30? To service it per the manual you also need single weight 10 and 20 and change the oil with the season. In addition, the Cub has an oil filter so a detergent oil is appropriate.

This may start a problem has oil can be a hot button here. It is just my opinion if IH engineers had access to modern oil they would have spec-ed them in the manual. They changed the hydraulic oil recommendation when a better oil became available. A modern 15-40 oil will give the engine better protection than a single weight.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:34 am

The Tractor Supply store in Leesburg should have SAE 30 ND motor oil in several brands and container sizes. Be sure to use motor oil, not lubricating oil. Having said that, I'm not sure what your uncle's reasoning is, other than it's what the manual says. If he is still with us, you may ask him about that. Modern multi-viscosity oils are much better for the engine, though.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:06 am

Don McCombs wrote:The Tractor Supply store in Leesburg should have SAE 30 ND motor oil in several brands and container sizes. Be sure to use motor oil, not lubricating oil. Having said that, I'm not sure what your uncle's reasoning is, other than it's what the manual says. If he is still with us, you may ask him about that. Modern multi-viscosity oils are much better for the engine, though.

Agree with Don. If you feel that you have to stick with ND30, then you’ll have to go to the suburbs or beyond. But engine oils have advanced substantially since 1947. I’m using Shell Rotella 15w-40 with no issues.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:15 am

If you don’t have a TSC, or similar store near you, it’s readily available on EBay. Like most others, on here, I use modern oils in all my stuff.

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:51 am

fully agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
get er done; life is good

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:10 am

inairam wrote:I would ask why you want non-detergent SAE30? To service it per the manual you also need single weight 10 and 20 and change the oil with the season. In addition, the Cub has an oil filter so a detergent oil is appropriate.

This may start a problem has oil can be a hot button here. It is just my opinion if IH engineers had access to modern oil they would have spec-ed them in the manual. They changed the hydraulic oil recommendation when a better oil became available. A modern 15-40 oil will give the engine better protection than a single weight.

I also agree with this. I leave my personal opinion out sometimes cause many times especially with oil if a person is dead set on something, no matter what you say they will do what they want. I answered the original question. But I do agree a 15w40 will be a much better oil even a 10w30 would. And yes the cub has filtered oil sooner would want a detergent oil to clean and hold those particles in suspension so that they can be filtered out by the oil filter vs, settling in the bottom of the pan or on internal engine parts as sludge.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:32 am

I keep one quart of ND 30 weight oil on the shop shelf. Use it on Cub implement joints and Cub linkage.

Opinion. Change the oil filter and use multi-weight engine oil. If Uncle comes around and asks about the ND 30 engine oil, I would show him the quart on the shelf and tell him that I use it on the tractor.

Opinion again. Which brand of oils to use? Whichever brand you use in you vehicles.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:56 am

You are going to have trouble finding an ND30 that is labeled "motor oil". Note that the Deere TY26791 mentioned above is, according to the Deere website "High in detergents and dispersants to inhibit oxidation". Note that the Amazon listing you pointed to shows a picture that says "motor oil" . I think the "motor oil" image is a standard one they use for all their Valvoline listings. The image of the actual bottle doesn't mention motor oil anywhere on it. I think this is just a labeling change from the old non-detergent motor oils. No oil company that has its wits would want their non-detergent oil containers to say "motor oil". There is too much risk that somebody will use it in an engine then blame the oi company when the engine breaks down.

Thirty years ago, I would have agreed on using a non-detergent oil in an old engine. However, rebuild time would have been a good time to clean it out and change to a detergent oil. The early detergent oils did have some problems going into old engines. Those problems were mostly worked out 70 or 80 years ago. If you want to stay with ND30, use any of them even if labeled air compressor oil. It will be as good as what has been in it. My inclination would be to change over to a modern detergent oil. Depending on what I see on the dipstick and whatever drains out of the crankcase, I might drop the oil pan and clean out the pan and oil pickup screen.

burntmacncheese

Postby burntmacncheese » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:03 pm

thanks for your replies.

As far as the ND30 oil - What I have been often been told is that if take this tractor that has always had ND30 oil and just switch it to modern 10w-30 or something that it would clean the engine and release stuck on sludge into the engine and clog the screens and filter and wreck the engine. The only way I was told that a modern oil would be possible is if I did a rebuild and opened it up and cleaned everything. I have even seen this information on this site, so I would not like to take that risk.

As far as stores - Yes I have been into the Tractor Supply in Leesburg the only ND30 oil I could find is the Traveller brand and it says "non-detergent multi-purpose lubricant" and it seems to be marketed for air compressors. My questions is this the same as ND30 motor oil? I am hesitant because I don't want to accidently put air compressor oil in my tractor.

Also, here is a picture of #5281 in my neighborhood. I live in Purcellville, VA, so maybe you don't think its a suburb of DC, opinions vary. The tractor needs cleaning and a tune up, I am still working out how best to do those things.

burntmacncheese

Postby burntmacncheese » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:18 pm

Jim Becker wrote: If you want to stay with ND30, use any of them even if labeled air compressor oil. It will be as good as what has been in it. My inclination would be to change over to a modern detergent oil.

We were writing our replies at the same time, thanks for the information. Its not that I WANT to use ND30, I just don't want to damage the tractor and I don't quite know enough to convert it safely without special help.

Assuming I was going to do it, I would drop the oil pan and clean the pan and screen, and install a new filter and flush out the filter housing. Then just run it and monitor it closely. I am terrified that if I did this and it had a problem, I wouldn't be able to back out of the plan before engine damage.

I feel like I might have to do it eventually anyway as nondetergent oils get phased out. Thanks.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:46 pm

I would not pull the pan. A lot can go wrong the bolts are small and a few are hard to get. I would drain it and open the valve cover and spray diesel or kerosene in the valve area. Fill the oil pan with diesel or kerosene and let it sit for a bit. If you have a hand crank maybe turn it over by hand but do not start it with this. Drain ( there is a drain tube next to the filter that should be drained/ cleaned as well) , replace the filter and add detergent oil. You may what to look at some oil additives in the auto parts store related to cleaning. I would run the tractor with motor oil until it is warm (at least 20-30 minutes or longer), then change the filter. I would change the filter frequently and the oil every 2 or 3 times you change the filter. I would do this until the oil still looks brown, not black after it was run for a while. I think the hard part will be getting the run time in living in a development.

You got a nice good looking early cub from your uncle. good luck with it.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:34 pm

inairam wrote:I would drain it and open the valve cover and spray diesel or kerosene in the valve area. Fill the oil pan with diesel or kerosene and let it sit for a bit.

There isn't a single right answer. More than a few on this site would agree with inairam's suggestion. I don't think I would do it. I'm concerned that the Diesel or kerosene would recreate the problems from 80 years ago, dislodge some crud that will plug a screen or passage. I'd be more inclined to use a commercial motor flush. I've used something from BG products, which is probably as good as any. I started with a filthy engine. After draining out all the crud it picked up, I still had a filthy engine. I guess they have their limits. I do think pulling the valve cover and seeing what it looks like is a good idea. The accumulation in there would give you a good idea how bad it is. It is probably due for a valve adjustment anyway.

If you decide to pull the valve cover, post a couple pictures of what you find. Then we can post some more contradictory advise!