This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub-22 Pitman bearing assembly Dimensions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bennydh
Zip Code: 82520

Cub-22 Pitman bearing assembly Dimensions

Postby Bennydh » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:33 pm

Hello,
I am trying to find the size, dimensions, or any design info/2D drawings for the pitman bearing assembly. I'd like to fabricate one, but don't have one to copy, and any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

:tractor:

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub-22 Pitman bearing assembly Dimensions

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:02 pm

The early style used a bushing, later ones the bearing. Have you located or priced a bearing? They are an oddball and expensive. Messick's has the parts diagrams under Cub Cadet Cub 22 mower. It doesn't show availability on the bearing or bushing.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:25 pm

Hi,
You didn't say which type of pitman bearing the mower has or had.
Below are pages from the Cub Implement Manual showing the 2 types of pitman bearings.
It says the pages are from 1955.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cbi- ... e%2081.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cbi- ... e%2082.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cbi- ... e%2083.jpg

You can Google search using the part number of the bearing and see what is for sale.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the plain bearing assembled on a mower.
Attachments
Cub 22 mower 6.jpg

Bennydh

Postby Bennydh » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:54 am

Thanks for help, and links to parts diagram.

What came with a 53 I bought was missing a blade/bar assembly(on the way now) and the pitman assembly. I figured, since I am probably fabricating the bearing assembly end, that it would not matter if it was the bearing A, Bearing B, or bushing style.

I planned on opposing two oversized flange bearings(possibly just one larger one), and putting a bushing that I may have to grind or machine on the shaft that fits the inside diameter of the bearings I use, if I cant get a hold of a bearing with the same inner diameter as the shaft size. I will measure the shaft today.

What I think I need at a minimum is the distance from the center of the bearing or bushing, to the start of the pitman stick.

I can reverse engineer/fabricate the steel from there based on 2D drawings of the pitman stick. Any input on the thickness of the steel on the assembly would also be appreciated.

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JoeB » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:04 pm

Look here at the bottom of the page:

http://www.macknair.com/mowerparts.htm

Bennydh

Postby Bennydh » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:28 pm

Thanks JoeB for the link and info.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:55 am

Bennydh wrote:What I think I need at a minimum is the distance from the center of the bearing or bushing, to the start of the pitman stick.

I measured on my mower, the distance from the center of the bearing, to the center of the nearest 5/16" bolt holding the pitman wood onto the metal is 4 1/8".
That is probably more exact than to the end of the wood, the end of the wood could be different lengths from different companies.

Bennydh wrote:Any input on the thickness of the steel on the assembly would also be appreciated.

The thickness of the metal the bearing mounts in measures .10"
I don't know if you noticed, the nut that holds the pitman bearing on, and the rear pulley on the long shaft, are both left hand threads.
There is originally a bushing in the tube, at each end of the long shaft. You could check and see if they are ok, there shouldn't be any up and down play between the shaft and the bushing.

Bennydh

Postby Bennydh » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:24 am

Thanks Glen. That's exactly what I needed. I should be able to fabricate off of that.