This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Final drive reseal and brake question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Sterff89
Zip Code: 17512
Tractors Owned: 57' Cub
45’ A
48' Super A
51' Super A
53' Super C
51’ H
50' M
60' IH 460 Utility

Final drive reseal and brake question

Postby Sterff89 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:55 pm

My brakes on my cub have been squeaking, and I have a few drips from my final drives, so I decided to take them apart while I have time. I am going to do one side at a time and started on the left side. I just finished this job on my 51' Super A so I learned a good bit on that project. I have the final drive completely disassembled and have two questions. Is it normal in the second picture for the band to rub on the drum? Also on the toggle piece I believe the one knurled pin was replaced at some part with the pin on my vise and was peened over. Can the original pins still be bought or could I use a roll pin? The factory pin measures .245 and .255 at the knurled part. I ordered all the parts and I'm waiting on a bearing splitter to press the axle shaft bearing off. Thanks
cub 01.jpg

cub 02.jpg

cub 03.jpg

cub 04.jpg

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Final drive reseal and brake question

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:34 pm

I'm pretty sure that those anchor pins are no longer available new from CaseIH. I'd give JP Tractor Salvage a call and check on their availability used.
Yes, it's normal for the band to rub on the drum.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:23 pm

Agree with Bob on the rubbing...most of mine show some. :? You MIGHT try bending the band near the lining, but you take the chance of its not fitting back inside the final.

If you haven't checked/replaced your gear oil in your transmission recently, it MIGHT be overfilled or have water in it, raising the oil level above the axle seals causing the leaking.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Sterff89
Zip Code: 17512
Tractors Owned: 57' Cub
45’ A
48' Super A
51' Super A
53' Super C
51’ H
50' M
60' IH 460 Utility

Postby Sterff89 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:41 pm

I did change the gear oil when I bought it about a year ago and it looked like caramel syrup. I did drain it before this project and the level seemed to be right at the level plug but, it was watery again. I'm planning on pulling the rear cover to seal it and the pto so I may try to clean it up a bit. I did struggle to get the differential bearing retainer out to change the o-ring though.