This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brought home my cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Pothole31a
Zip Code: 44134

Re: Brought home my cub

Postby Pothole31a » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:05 pm

Appreciate the help. Looks like priming the pump is pretty straightforward. I’ll be doing that during the oil change/start up process. Hate to ruin the motor over taking 5 minutes and a few ounces of oil out of the whole process.

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:58 pm

Why do you want to split it...got clutch issues, seals?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:54 pm

ajhbike wrote:Why do you want to split it...got clutch issues, seals?

His second post in this thread he says he believes he may have a rear seal leaking.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Pothole31a

Postby Pothole31a » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:53 pm

Today was the day!! I got the cub fired up. Noticed a few things prior to it running that I’ll need to address but I’ll list below the process I used to get it started.

I changed the oil on the tractor. I put in fresh new oil and primed the oil pump. Pretty easy process. Took longer to find something to get the oil into the hole than it took to prime the pump.

Second I put in fresh plugs on all 4cyl and made sure the firing order was correct. So at this point all signs pointed to fire it up.

I put some gas in the carb and I noticed a slight leak in the carb. Not sure if it’s the gasket or the fuel line. But it wasn’t much leaking so I assume the carb but I’ll look into that.

So this is when things get fun. I tried to crank start it. Maybe a little ambitious since it’s been 20-25yrs since it’s ran but I gave it a shot. It wasn’t firing. Also hurt my hand in the process. I noticed smoke so I guess it was trying but wasn’t happening. So I upgraded to jumper cables and gave it a whirl. Sure enough that was enough to get things going and it fired up!!! The starter is 6v and yes my truck I jumped it with is 12v but for the sake of starting it I was willing to take the risk.

Overall I’m super excited it ran. A lot of “stuff” came out of the exhaust but it ran and ran good. I’ll need to adjust the carb. Maybe play with timing slightly. I also need to wire it up and get a battery. Clean up the tank. Get a sediment bowl. And drive it for a while to see if oil leaks for that rear seal. But for tonight I’m calling it a success!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:25 pm

Good that you got the Cub to run. :)
I use a pump oil can to put clean motor oil in the hole in the oil filter housing, to prime the oil pump.

Since the engine had pistons that were stuck to the cylinders, it may also have piston rings that are stuck to the pistons. The rings need to be free on the pistons to expand and seal in the cylinders.
Blue smoke from the exhaust is caused by oil burning.
If you find the engine makes blue smoke, the rings may be stuck.
Stuck rings can also make the compression less than it should be.
They recommend on here using an oil additive to help free the rings.
They say on here to put Seafoam oil additive in the engine oil. They sell it at auto parts stores.
Several people on here that used it said that it helped a lot. They say on here to make the engine work while using the additive.
One of the experts on here said to use the additive for 2 oil change periods.
The 1949 Cub owner's manual says to change the oil every 120 hours of use.
If the rings are wornout, the seafoam won't help much.
The Cub service manual says a Cub engine before Cub serial number 192113 has 107 lbs of compression, when turning at 240 RPM. That is probably for a new engine.
Some less is ok, they have said on here 90 lbs or above is ok.
The idle mixture adjustment screw is on top of the carburetor. It affects the slow idle speed, which should be 500 RPM. The screw should be about 1 1/2 turn open for the IH carb. The screw can be a little in or out from the 1 1/2 turn open. Set it to where the engine runs best. The owner's manual says warm up the engine before adjusting the screw.
I sent you a PM, you get to it at the top of the page.

Nosparkplug
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 29063

Postby Nosparkplug » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:34 pm

Mine was smoking some when I first got it. It had a new oil pan gasket and the dome top pistons so I figured someone had rebuilt it. To address the smoking I used Yamaha outboard Ring Free in the oil and gas and that cleared it up

Pothole31a

Postby Pothole31a » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:15 am

I’ll have to give that a shot when I give it a full run through. All I did yesterday was put enough fuel to fill the carb up and that’s it. Figured a little smoke was going to happen after putting stuff in the cylinders to free them up.

I wasn’t aware of that stuff called ring free. I’m sure it will help. I am familiar with seafoam. Thanks for the tips

Now on to wiring and getting a battery.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:18 am

It's exciting when you first fire up a long dormant machine, isn't it!? It sounds like you're on the right track! :tractor:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:41 pm

Pothole31a wrote:....Also hurt my hand in the process.

Did you have your thumb wrapped around the handle?
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Pothole31a

Postby Pothole31a » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:01 pm

Peter Person wrote:
Pothole31a wrote:....Also hurt my hand in the process.

Did you have your thumb wrapped around the handle?

Sure did!!! Bonehead move on my part. I know better but I was just so exited.

And yes it’s very exciting to get something going that hasn’t ran in a long time. Man verse machine.

Pothole31a

Postby Pothole31a » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:07 pm

Quick question to the gallery. Thoughts on the POR15 gas tank liner. The tank I have is in great shape. No rot or holes or anything. But it does have slight rust inside and I cleaned it up as best I could. I was going to put some gas tank liner in to help keep it looking nice. Thoughts?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:33 am

Pothole31a wrote:Thoughts on the POR15 gas tank liner. The tank I have is in great shape. No rot or holes or anything. But it does have slight rust inside.
Definitely wouldn't hurt. I used Red Kote years ago with a gas tank is the same condition. Has worked well.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pothole31a

Postby Pothole31a » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:59 pm

Little update on the cub. Been tinkering on and off for the past few weeks. First things first. Paint. So I work for the company that makes farm and implement paint and we manufacture IH Red. So I ordered some some to start painting the cub. Me and my son have been spraying. Rolling and brushing all kinds of parts and it coming together nicely. We also went and got a new gasket for the carb and a new sediment bowl. Once the gas tank and hood finish drying we will mount all that up.

Also while the hood is off and the front half of the tractor is painted we will start the wiring. I hate wiring even though it’s only a few wires I still don’t like it. Anyway we will start working on that this weekend and next week. As the weather looks likes it’s going to be single digits it’s definitely not the time to paint.

More to come hopefully in the next few weeks.

Pothole31a

Postby Pothole31a » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:15 pm

We have updates!!!! Well it’s been cold and terrible in Ohio for about 3 weeks. And I’ve got a bunch done. I started painting a bunch of parts on the front half of the tractor. The back half is pretty crusty, rusty and greasy so I’m going to save that for summer. So in the meantime I painted the front half. After some painting and cleaning I wired up the tractor. Still the 6v system so it was pretty basic but I do hate wiring. Next I hooked up the battery and hit the button and she fired up. Took me a few times to figure out how to properly start it but now it’s easy and fires right up. No leaks as of right now and the only thing I need is a new cap for the gas tank and radiator. But overall I’m extremely proud of myself for getting it going. It’s been fun.

Next question I have is about the clutch. I went to depress the pedal and noticed a “clicking” sound. Almost like it was being put in gear without the clutch being pushed in. Not sure if I need to adjust the forks or something for the pressure plate? The tractor wasn’t in gear either when I pushed the pedal. Just a weird sound when I pushed the pedal.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:08 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor