This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Crankshaft Pulley Removal (In-Process)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
darkmuncan81
Zip Code: 27052
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub (SN: 213473J)

Re: Crankshaft Pulley Removal (In-Process)

Postby darkmuncan81 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:42 am

Thanks Raymond, haven't pulled an oil seal before on any vehicle before so this was helpful. Didn't realize it was a fairly straightforward operation. Was also throwing me off because the seal I received varied slightly in appearance from what I'm guessing was the original. Was making me question how it was supposed to come out.
1959 Farmall Cub

darkmuncan81

Postby darkmuncan81 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:22 pm

Thanks Raymond, have not removed oil seal before personally so this confirms it's fairly straightforward - can definitely tell this one is stuck in there good but it's likely the original equipment from what I can tell.
1959 Farmall Cub

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:52 pm

It’s likely the new seal is thinner than the old one. Follow the suggestions and you will get it out.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

darkmuncan81

Postby darkmuncan81 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:55 pm

Thanks Don.

Sorry to the forum admins for the double post above, didn't realize my post had gone to a second page...couldn't delete it.
1959 Farmall Cub

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:35 pm

darkmuncan81 wrote: haven't pulled an oil seal before on any vehicle

Hi,
If the oil seal is tight and won't come out, they have said on here to drill 2 small holes in it, straight across from each other, and use an automotive dent puller, with a sliding weight on it, to pull the seal out. Go from one hole to the other, so the seal is pulled evenly, and gradually pull the seal out.

Be sure to put the new seal in with the seal lip facing toward the engine. Seals don't seal well installed backwards.
If the pulley is rough where the seal runs, use fine sandpaper and sand it smooth. Wipe off all sanding with a clean rag.
If there is a groove worn in the pulley where the seal runs, it may need a wear sleeve put on the pulley.
The sleeve makes a flat surface for the seal to run on.
Below is a listing at TM Tractor Parts for a seal with sleeve. You can look at the picture.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/472fp.htm

Don't hammer directly on an oil seal, it can dent the seal. Use some flat metal to cover the seal, and hammer on that.
The crankshaft sticking out of the engine makes it harder to put the seal in.
You would need to cut a hole in flat metal so it will go on the crankshaft, to where the seal is.
A cutting torch would do that.
Put oil on the seal rubber, and pulley where the seal runs, when you put the pulley on.

darkmuncan81

Postby darkmuncan81 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:20 pm

Thank you Glen, that is very helpful information!
1959 Farmall Cub

darkmuncan81

Postby darkmuncan81 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:16 pm

Wanted to post follow up to say thanks again for all the help. Oil seal successfully replaced and pulley reinstalled without incident thanks to all the helpful tips given in this post.
While I had front split I also replaced the governor spring, radiator hoses, and belts. Have to reattach front end but hopefully in the clear. Thanks again everyone!
1959 Farmall Cub

darkmuncan81

Postby darkmuncan81 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:35 pm

To help anyone else who may come across this post, here is a brief summary of how I did this. These steps presume upon already having the Cub split at the front and the belts removed.

To remove pulley:

-Used the 3” bearing separator behind the pulley from this kit on Amazon:
(KOOPOOL Bearing Puller 12-Piece, Gear Puller Set, Wheel Bearing Removal Tool, Wheel Hub Axle Puller Set, Bearing Separator with 2’’ and 3’’ Bearing Separator Jaws https://a.co/d/6LZIgnT)
-Used the 6” 2 Jaw puller from this kit at Harbor Freight:
(https://www.harborfreight.com/two-jaw-p ... 64305.html) to pull on the bearing separator.
-Used a Grade 8 1/2” x 5” Bolt which I rounded the head on my grinder to be small enough to fit through the pulley opening and then added anti-seize and screwed this through the pulley into the crankshaft. Also made a dimple in the middle of the head with a drill so the puller had a place to push off.

To put in the oil seal:

-After oiling the seal, I set it evenly inside the opening and used a 5” length of 2” pvc pipe and a rubber mallet to tap it in evenly around the crankshaft.

To reattach pulley:

I put a little grease on the crankshaft, lined up the key and started the pulley on the crankshaft by hand. Then I threaded a 1/2” piece of all-thread with anti-siege through the pulley and into crankshaft. Then I put on this 3” square washer from McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/product/91133A150) followed by a couple large fender washers on the threaded rod next with a little grease between them and finally a grade 8 1/2” nut.
Then it was just elbow grease until it seated up against the pinion gear.

I didn’t need to use heat or hammer/wood block to reseat the pulley. Big thanks to all the tips on this forum that helped me figure out this convoluted process.
1959 Farmall Cub