This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fan pulley question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CaperKen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0E3A0
Skype Name: ken.dealmpr
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub (sn 26136), named Rosalie

Fan pulley question

Postby CaperKen » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:02 pm

Sorry, I've asked this question before but without success on my end.

How do I get that fan pulley lubrication screw out of the housing? The screw rotates but never works its way out of the hole. The manual diagram seems to indicate that there might be an o-ring on the screw shaft inside the housing.

I've tried to unscrew it while trying to jimmy a razor blade under the screw head but there is not enough room. I'm stumped and would appreciate the wisdom of the forum.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fan pulley question

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:13 pm

There is a short stand tube that the screw threads into. I would guess that your stand tube has detached from the inside of the hub and rotates when you try and turn the screw. You might try grabbing the screw head with some vise grips and pull out as you try to turn it.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:35 pm

Hi,
I don't think it is an o ring on the screw, it is a seal ring though, or gasket the Cub owner's manual calls it. The gasket is under the screw head when the screw is in place in the hub.
Below is a page from the 1947 Cub owner's manual, so you can see the parts Bob said above.
The standpipe has threads in it.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... age-28.jpg

If the standpipe has broken loose inside the hub, you might need to buy a used fan hub assembly somewhere, and replace the assembly.
J P Tractor Salvage at the bottom of the page probably has them.
Nowadays other companies make replacement fan assemblies with sealed bearings.
Or maybe you can repair the one you have somehow, if needed.
If you buy one, there are 2 different sizes of generator drive pulleys on the fan hub, depending on the year of the Cub. IH changed the pulley sizes in the early 1950's.
A 1948 Cub would have the smaller gen drive pulley.
Below are pics from TM Tractor Parts of the pulleys. :)
Attachments
Cub pulley.jpg
Cub pulley 2.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:21 pm

If the problem is the stand tube broken loose from the hub, you should be able to remove the fan assembly, take the screws that hold the assembly together out, and separate the main pieces. Then hold the stand tube with a pair of pliers while you remove the screw. You should then be able to reattach the tube. Never saw this problem, so unsure how to reattach. Peen the end? weld/braze? JB-Weld? Whatever choice, be sure the resulting joint is oil-tight.

CaperKen
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby CaperKen » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:19 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried pulling the screw up with vise grips but the screw head is such that it's hard to get much purchase and the vise grips slide off. And, it feels as if the gasket on the screw does not want to release the screw.

I have a spare assembly that has the same problem as the one that's on the Cub.

I'll try taking the screws out of the fan bearing cap on the spare hub and investigate this problem further, especially the stand pipe issue.

Has anyone replaced the oil retaining screw with a rubber plug or something else that will stay engaged but be easy to remove for oiling?

CaperKen
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby CaperKen » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:51 pm

I've taken apart the fan hub assembly and found that the standpipe does rotate as the oiling screw is turned. So, it must be broken from the hub.

After using penetrating oil and heat, I still can't extract the screw from the standpipe. I hold the standpipe with pliers and try to turn the screw but there is no movement.

I'm thinking of drilling out down the middle of the screw and grinding off the screw head. Then, removing more and more of the center of the screw until it separates from the standpipe. Does that seem reasonable? Any help on getting the screw out of the standpipe will be greatly appreciated.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:40 pm

Hi,
Good that you found what is wrong with it.
I've never seen one with the screw that was hard to get out.
Maybe try deepening the screwdriver slot in the screw some with a hack saw, so the screwdriver bit doesn't slip.
Hold the standpipe really tight if you can, use a vise grip pliers, or a vise grip with the long jaws, to reach in farther, if needed.
Then use a screwdriver bit with a 3/8" ratchet that fits the screw head really well, so it doesn't slip, and see if the screw will turn. Maybe you have done that already. :)

CaperKen
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby CaperKen » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:34 pm

I have been able to extract the oiling screw from the standpipe. This took two men. Cutting the screw slot deeper did help -- Thanks, Glen. I had this problem on the fan hub that I recently took off of my Cub and also on a spare fan assembly that I had. Have others had this problem?

The standpipe is not broken from the hub, but it spins when the screw is turned or when the standpipe is turned from the inside of the hub.

It seems as though the standpipe was press-fitted to the hub with a flange ring inside the hub and a smaller rim on the outside of the hub.

Oiling_standpipe_outside.jpg
Oiling_standpipe_outside.jpg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 313 times

oiling_standpipe_inside_hub.jpg

How can I secure the standpipe so that it won't spin. Can I use JB Weld? If so, should it be used on the inside of the hub or on the outside? If I should not use JB Weld, what else can be used. Is simple soldering good enough or is silver soldering needed?

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:39 pm

I've never taken one of these apart so I don't have any idea what all is inside, and how much room there is for a remedy. But based on just the picture you show, I would be tempted to use a small wire-feed mig welder and put two tack welds on either two sides of the inside flange shown on the pipe. Again, assuming that won't interfere with anything. Apparently that pipe was placed in the hub and the outer flange was spread open and downward onto the hub; you coukd try peening it with a tapered punch, but I think the weld would be permanent, and that it is doubtful you could peen it tight enough not to loosen again.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:20 pm

Good that you got the screw out of the hub.
Thanks for the up close pictures.
I would think the silver soldering would be a good way to repair the standpipe. Clean it really well with solvent, or something that removes oil, dry it, then sand it with fine sandpaper so the area is shiny metal. I would solder it on the inside of the hub.
Jim B. said above that it has to be able to hold oil without leaking. The soldering all the way around the standpipe should hold oil.
I don't know if you looked, check for wear in the bearing, when it is slipped together, it should have no noticeable wear or play sideways.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:20 am

Is there enough room inside for a tack weld without interfering with anything?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

CaperKen
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby CaperKen » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:01 am

I don't think it can be welded. There is very little room inside the hub. If possible, it might require an expert welder, which I am not. Plus, I don't have any welding equipment.

It seems like my options are to solder or use JB Weld or buy a new one, which I don't want to do. Would plain soldering work or is silver soldering necessary (I don't have that material)?

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:48 am

I think ordinary solder should should hold up okay, solder it all the way around, then don’t overtighten the screw. The screw should have a gasket on it.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:58 pm

Take a look and see if you have enough access room to drill a small hole from the outside so that it exits inside the flange on the inside of the hub then use a small diameter roll pin to close the hole and keep the standpipe from spinning. A dab of JB Weld should seal any opening when you are finished. JMHO Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

CaperKen
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby CaperKen » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:52 am

Interesting idea.