This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pretty sure its the switch but thoughts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights
Circle of Safety: Y

Pretty sure its the switch but thoughts

Postby ShawnAgne » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:54 pm

When I converted the Cub I rewired it all and even before then if it sat for a couple months it would be dead. So would the culprit possibly be that the switch is bad? I've never blown out the electronic ignition which happens if you leave the switch on and not running. But thought is, there is just a very slow trickle going through the switch? Any ideas where to check? Don't feel like tearing it all apart but wouln't hurt my feelings to be able to fix it.
Shawn Agne

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Pretty sure its the switch but thoughts

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:34 pm

Ignition off, disconnect the battery cable at the starter. Check for voltage between the battery cable and elec line going to amp meter and ignition switch. Also check for amp draw.

Next check at alternator between bat terminal and line to amp gauge. Check here for amp draw. A single wire alternator will have a draw in the milliamps.

Both checks should narrow down the amp draw/problem location.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:19 pm

Lights and charging system can both draw down the battery with the switch off.

Another way to test if you have a draw is to disconnect the "hot" cable to the battery, and tap it on the post. If you see a spark something is drawing on the battery. You can also connect a test light or even a simple 12V bulb between the hot post of the battery and the cable. If the light lights you've got a draw. You might also see the ammeter twitch as you connect and disconnect the battery. People poo-poo the ammeter and try to say voltmeters are better, but a voltmeter won't tell you if you have a parasitic draw.

No spark, no light, no draw. Probably a bad battery.

You can eliminate the lights if you wired them through the fuse by removing the fuse.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:08 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:People poo-poo the ammeter and try to say voltmeters are better, but a voltmeter won't tell you if you have a parasitic draw.
A parasitic draw is comprised of both a voltage and amperage.
Probably a bad battery.
Voltage drop test.

The testing sequence I listed eliminated or confirmed the starter as the problem. Check all visible wiring and conduct the simple tests before you have to remove the hood/gas tank.

Electron flow is from negative to positive. So, where is the problem; wiring or an appliance?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Greenthumbfarms
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 60450
Tractors Owned: 1974 Cub Cadet 1450
1977 Cub Cadet 1650

1950 Farmall Cub (Georgette)
1956 Farmall 230 (Gladys)
1959 Farmall 240 Utility (Heather)
1962 John Deere 4010 Gas with No.45 Loader (Helen)
1966 John Deere 4020 Deisel (Jack)
1975 International Cub (Ozzie)

Postby Greenthumbfarms » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:49 pm

Eugene wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote:People poo-poo the ammeter and try to say voltmeters are better, but a voltmeter won't tell you if you have a parasitic draw.
A parasitic draw is comprised of both a voltage and amperage.
Probably a bad battery.
Voltage drop test.

The testing sequence I listed eliminated or confirmed the starter as the problem. Check all visible wiring and conduct the simple tests before you have to remove the hood/gas tank.

Electron flow is from negative to positive. So, where is the problem; wiring or an appliance?

I always start by checking a ground, then would check for voltage drop/power at the fixture and work backwards
Secretary with Will County Threshermens Association (Will County, Illinois)
62nd Annual Will County Threshermens gas and steam tractor show July 18-21, 2024 featuring JI Case Steam and gas tractors. All makes welcome
https://www.steamshow.org/