This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1-point Fast Hitch for Cub - Installation

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lakesurfer
Zip Code: 37167
Tractors Owned: 1970 International Cub, Lovingly restored by my epic Son-in-Law

1-point Fast Hitch for Cub - Installation

Postby lakesurfer » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:56 pm

Full disclosure, this post is my second by which I'm hoping to get access to the manuals to hopefully read how to install the single point fast hitch I just bought. However, I'd be grateful for any other suggestions or pointers to resources to help install it correctly. I just bought several single point fast hitch implements (plow, disc cultivator, and harrow) and am hoping to help work some ground for a small community garden soon. Thanks for all.

lakesurfer

Re: 1-point Fast Hitch for Cub - Installation

Postby lakesurfer » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:09 pm

WOW! That "manuals" section is INSANE! I wish the forums for my other "Vintage Technology" vehicles and tools were half as amazing as that!! I am stoked to dig into what I just downloaded!

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:51 pm

FYI... Another good resource is TM Tractors (a forum sponsor) with a link below. They have good parts and check out their link to implements and their photo gallery along the left margin:
http://www.tmtractor.com/
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:51 pm

1st think is to make sure you have all the pieces for it

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:45 pm

Hi,
The Cub looks good in your picture.
You can find the year of it using the tractor serial number, if you didn't do it that way.
There is a list of serial numbers and years at the top of the page at Cub Info.
If you are putting a Fast Hitch on the Cub, you will need to remove the rotary mower first.
The rotary mower you have won't work with a Fast Hitch. The drive mechanism at the rear is different for a Fast Hitch Cub.
The parts you have fit only a Cub with a drawbar. Woods had different parts for use with a Fast Hitch.
I think the mower part of it is the same with a Fast Hitch, but I'm not sure.

When you remove the mower and drawbar, it is a good time to check the final drive oil levels.
There are 2 final drives. There is a plug on each final drive.
The left plug is behind the drawbar mounting bracket. Fill both final drives to the level of the plug holes. The plugs usually have a square hole, a ratchet with no socket usually fits them. Clean any dirt out of the square holes, so the ratchet goes fully into the plugs.
The operator's manual tells how to check or change the oils.
The transmission and final drives on that age of Cub use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid, it is sold at Case IH dealers. There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying it, since the fluid can be used in the Touch Control also.
I sent you a PM, you get to it at the top of the page. :)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:55 pm

lakesurfer wrote: However, I'd be grateful for any other suggestions or pointers to resources to help install it correctly.

Below are pages from the Cub and LoBoy parts manual showing the parts of the Fast Hitch. You can check what you have and see if it is all there, like tst said above.

The page below shows the helper spring, it goes on the left side of the Cub, and attaches to the short arm on the left side of the Touch Control rockshaft.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... 009-04.jpg

You will need to buy bolts to hold the brackets onto the final drives, if you don't have them. It tells the size and length of them below at the descriptions for numbers 3 and 10 in the pic. They should be regular bolts, with lock washers, not the IH tapered head bolts. The dealer sold me grade 5 bolts for it in the past.
There are 2 different bales shown. A cub the year of yours should have a Fast Hitch with a crank to the right of the seat. That is the depth adjustment. The hitches had a lever from about 1954 - 1957.
The brackets on the bales are different.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... 009-05.jpg

https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... 009-06.jpg

https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... 009-07.jpg

The bolts for holding the crank onto the final drive are shown at 9 on the page below.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... 009-08.jpg

I use a large punch in holes of the right and left brackets, to help hold the hitch up in position, after lifting it up, to put the bolts in.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:04 pm

Once you determine the parts needed to use the mower with a FH, you can place a Wanted add in the VINE, Classified subforum. Someone might have one for sale. I've successfully bought some needed mower drive parts using that method. JMHO Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:20 am

Don't forget your Son in law as a resource at installation time.
He knows his way around your Cub and some of it's quirks.

Congrats. Stay patient with the getting it prepped. And when switching things over .

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:03 pm

I'd be surprised if you found concise step-by-step instructions. If these were installed outside of the factory they were almost always installed at the IH dealership by an experienced mechanic or someone who had access to an experienced mechanic for guidance. Instructions were probably along the lines of "Step 1. Install Fast Hitch. Step 2. Return tractor to customer."

Installing is a bit awkward because it all needs to go on pretty much as one piece. The side plates, bail, and rockshaft have to be all together at least because once the side plates are bolted to the final drives, you can't install anything that isn't already installed. You also can't lift one side into place then the other. Both sides need to be brought up into position at the same time. Some help or creative use of ratchet straps is required to hold things somewhere near where they should be until you can get at least one bolt in each side.

Really it's not that complicated, just awkward. Look at the pictures. Look at what you have. Make what you have look like the pictures.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:26 pm

Matt is correct. Those three pieces have to be installed as a unit. BUT, everything else can be removed and installed later to reduce the weight that needs to be supported. The pull bar is especially heavy.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:42 pm

You may already have discovered or know this, but a regular FCub FH is different from a Cub LoBoy FH and they must be used on the tractor that they were designed to fit.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

lakesurfer

Postby lakesurfer » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:29 am

Thanks to all. Got it installed, and used it Saturday to plow and disc a good sized garden. Discovered that as a newbie to this stuff, I think I got a little taken advantage of though. The draw bar did not match up to the depth adjust lever linkage. After looking at the drawings closer, I see that the depth lever attaches to a slightly different draw bar. No sweat...I was able to use "improvised engineering" to adapt an acceptable solution. What really torqued me off was that I discovered the sleeve over the horizontal bar at the hitch itself was supposed to adjust right/left. Not only is mine seized in place, but now I notice that the horizontal bar itself is *bent* on the left side. Once I feel I'm "done for the season" I'll remove that and take it to a friend's house to apply some "persuasion".

Shame on me for not knowing exactly what I was buying. Fool me once......

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:54 am

Not sure what you mean when you use the term “drawbar”. But, the Fast Hitch does not use the drawbar pictured below. Perhaps some photos of your setup would help.

Photo courtesy TM Tractor Parts
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:24 pm

Lets see a picture of the "bent" horizontal bar to make sure some of the bend doesn't belong there.

lakesurfer

Postby lakesurfer » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:01 pm

Don and Jim, Apologies. Language matters and I am still learning tractor vocabulary:

The depth lever needs a different *hitch bail* than the one I was provided. As far as the bent rod at the rear of the tractor near the hitch itself, I could not find a name for it, but the Pull Bar can be adjusted back and forth on it via the "sleeve" that is part of the hitch. I attached three pics. One showing the bent rod. One showing the depth lever attached to the hitch bail, and a closeup of the alternative engineering solution I used to make the offset lever linkage work with the hitch bail I have.
Attachments
Improvised hitch bail linkage.jpg
Lever to hitch bail.jpg
Bent bar n Seized Pull Bar Sleeve.jpg