This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1-point Fast Hitch for Cub - Installation

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1-point Fast Hitch for Cub - Installation

Postby Peter Person » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:27 pm

Yes, the bail that you have is for a later version crank handle depth adjuster.
The bent pull bar might straighten in a hydraulic press but you need to disassemble the parts. Heating the “sleeve” portion followed by a liberal application of PB Blaster or other penetrant and persuasion with a sledge hammer may break the rust free. There is a grease fitting on the sleeve that didn’t get used frequently enough.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:40 pm

lakesurfer wrote: I see that the depth lever attaches to a slightly different draw bar. No sweat...

A 1970 Cub is supposed to have the depth adjusting crank, to the right of the seat.
The lever was used from late 1954 - about 1957. Then the crank was used.
They use different brackets on the bail.
Maybe you can find a crank assembly somewhere.
J P Tractor Salvage, at the bottom of the page, might have a used crank, if you have any interest in changing it.
Below are pages from the 1955 Cub operator's manual, telling about the Fast Hitch with the lever.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... e%2018.jpg

https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... e%2019.jpg

The page below shows about adjusting the links.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... e%2020.jpg

The pull bar support in your pic should be straight.
The pull bar is supposed to slide easily right and left on the pull bar support, the round bar. The name is in the parts manual.
Working oil or grease into the them, when the pull bar will slide left and right, helps keep the parts from rusting.
A 1970 Cub is called an International Cub, not a Farmall Cub. IH stopped using the Farmall name on them in 1964.
Peter, I don't see any mention in the Cub parts manual of a grease fitting on the pull bar support. :)
Last edited by Glen on Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:40 pm

No need for an apology.
There were three different versions of the Fast Hitch. Two for the Cub and one for the LoBoy. What you seem to have is a conglomeration of parts for one or more. The "U" shaped part, called the bail, is incorrect for the early Cub version that you have. The horizontal round bar, called the pull bar support, is definitely bent. It can be straightened using a press and maybe some heat.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:12 pm

Your bent part is properly called a "pull bar support". It definitely should be straight. Looks like the right end may be bend a little too. (The part stuck to it is the "pull bar assembly".) It would be nice if you could find a crank style depth adjuster that matches your hitch bail.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:44 am

lakesurfer wrote:............. What really torqued me off was that I discovered the sleeve over the horizontal bar at the hitch itself was supposed to adjust right/left. Not only is mine seized in place, but now I notice that the horizontal bar itself is *bent* on the left side. Once I feel I'm "done for the season" I'll remove that and take it to a friend's house to apply some "persuasion".....
I experienced the same "frozen up" problem with my FH installation and had to resort to disassembly and get it into a press to get the force applied to the needed points. I used pipe spacers on the "rod" to keep from deforming the "slide" part. I would not advise just heating and hammering on the part because it will probably deform and make the situation worse. JMHO, Stan. :hattip:
FH 3 LoBoy.JPG
FH+mule drive rearview.JPG
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)