This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

wiring scm for cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
konkay
Zip Code: 77338

wiring scm for cub

Postby konkay » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:31 am

I need a wiring scm for cub with alternator (not original ) looks like GM alternator I need to know how to hook up so it charges may be charging now but unsure gauge is bad Billy

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: wiring scm for cub

Postby Glen » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:00 pm

Hi,
Below is a wiring diagram that has been on here before for the 12 volt Delco alternator.
It is for the 3 wire alt, with the plug on the side, near the rear of it.
There are 1 wire Delco alts, as I remember, those use only the wire to the BAT post on the alt in the pic.
You didn't say if you have a 3 wire, or 1 wire alt. You didn't say the year of the Cub, I guess it is a 1949, your other post says.
The pic shows a distributor, if the Cub has a magneto, with the original style coil in the top of of it, Don't connect power to the magneto, it makes it's own power.
If you don't know if the ammeter works, you can use a test voltmeter connected to the battery, and run the engine and see if it is charging.
TM Tractor Parts at the bottom of the page has ammeters that look like ones Cubs came with, but you probably need one made for more amps than the original Cub ammeters. :)
Attachments
Cub wiring Delco Alternator.gif

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:44 pm

As Glen mentioned above. Check the battery voltage with the tractor not running then check it again with the tractor running. If the voltage reads higher with the tractor running, your alternator is charging.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:49 am

I thought that if the ammeter was bad that it would stop the current from the alternator or generator to the battery.
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:40 am

john2189 wrote:I thought that if the ammeter was bad that it would stop the current from the alternator or generator to the battery.

Theoretically possible. In real life it almost never happens.

konkay
Zip Code: 77338

Postby konkay » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:21 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
Below is a wiring diagram that has been on here before for the 12 volt Delco alternator.
It is for the 3 wire alt, with the plug on the side, near the rear of it.
There are 1 wire Delco alts, as I remember, those use only the wire to the BAT post on the alt in the pic.
You didn't say if you have a 3 wire, or 1 wire alt. You didn't say the year of the Cub, I guess it is a 1949, your other post says.
The pic shows a distributor, if the Cub has a magneto, with the original style coil in the top of of it, Don't connect power to the magneto, it makes it's own power.
If you don't know if the ammeter works, you can use a test voltmeter connected to the battery, and run the engine and see if it is charging.
TM Tractor Parts at the bottom of the page has ammeters that look like ones Cubs came with, but you probably need one made for more amps than the original Cub ammeters. :)

Appreciate this Glen .