This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

C22 Mower Help (pitman, Knife Clips, Fender Rod)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jbevard
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48014

C22 Mower Help (pitman, Knife Clips, Fender Rod)

Postby jbevard » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:39 pm

I picked up my first Cub which is a 49 with a C22 mower. Both are new to me. Going through it, I notice that the end of the pitman arm doesn't look like the ones I am seeing or in any of the manuals. Where it attaches to the blade ball, there is no spring and it is not tool free. There is just a simple carriage bolt and nut that tightens it up onto the ball. Any thoughts on why that is, wrong pitman arm (the metal parts are blue)? Would this be fine or should I look for a replacement that is like the ones I see in the C22 manuals?

How free should the blade be able to be moved by hand? I can move it but it is pretty snug in there. I loosened up a couple of the Knife Clips for the install as it was getting hung up sliding in. The knife clips do not seem to be adjustable as the two nuts also loosen up the guards. Right now I have them just tight so there is no guard wiggle. Is there a way to made an adjustment and what would be the right amount of play to aim for?

Also, very newbie mower question, what the heck does the Inner Shoe Fender Rod do? I have it but it is not attached and wondering!

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: C22 Mower Help (pitman, Knife Clips, Fender Rod)

Postby tst » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:16 pm

guards and clips can be shimmed for clearance, sounds like the spring latch assembly was broke so someone bolted it together

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:40 am

Hi,
Below are pages from the Cub implement parts manual showing the pitmans for the Cub 22 Mower, you can look at the pictures. Maybe you already have the manual.
The 1st page is the plain bearing pitman.
The 2nd and 3rd pages are for the ball bearing pitman.
http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cbi- ... e%2081.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cbi- ... e%2082.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cbi- ... e%2083.jpg

Below is a newer Cub 22 Mower operator's manual, if you don't have it. It has cutter bar maintenance info in it.
The manual is for 3 different mowers, for 3 different models of IH tractors. Use the info for Cubs.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... index.html

The knife will probably loosen up and slide easier with some use, but the knife shouldn't bind too much, so it moves hard by hand.

jbevard wrote: what the heck does the Inner Shoe Fender Rod do? I have it but it is not attached and wondering!

The rod keeps long cut grass from falling inward, and sitting on the parts of the mower. It has to be on the mower to hold the front of the inner shoe skid up in place.
I sent you a PM.
Last edited by Glen on Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22150
Tractors Owned: 2 1962 LoBoys
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy

Postby LeeC » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:33 pm

One additional thing that stands out. "Right now I have them just tight so there is no guard wiggle." All the fasteners on the sickle bar mower have to be tight, tight, tight. Otherwise they will shake loose and you will be looking for the missing guard that will be lost in the grass somewhere.
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:09 pm

Your pitman sounds like it has the very old style parts from a horse-drawn mower. The clips are adjusted by bending them slightly with a hammer. My aim with a hammer was never good enough to make that adjustment.

There is a service guide on cutter bar maintenance in the PDF manuals, accessible through the quick links at the top left of this page. It is GSS-1053 under Service Manuals/Blue Ribbon Service Manuals. (Knife clip adjustment is on page 4.)

jbevard
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48014

Postby jbevard » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:12 pm

Thank you for the replies so far. I think I might look for a replacement pitman arm assembly so it is set up as intended to avoid any future issues. I saw some out there on eBay and Burch Store.

This is all pretty new for me. I have an A and an M that I have picked up over the last couple years. Working on old tractors was not something I grew up doing at all. Here I am in my early 40s learning as I go and trying to not learn everything the hard way!