This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear lift arm bar

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Indianacub74
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 47515

Re: Rear lift arm bar

Postby Indianacub74 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:37 pm

20240324_173359.jpg

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:05 pm

Nice looking tractor. Interesting shift lever.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Indianacub74
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Indianacub74 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:28 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Nice looking tractor. Interesting shift lever.

Yeah I don't like it. It hits the seat when in 1st and 3rd. I think the shift lever is for a pan seat. But I also think the seat brackets are wrong.
When I got her she was half ass .maintained. her oil bath breather was removed and replaced with a pvc pipe and wire mesh.
But I'm slowly getting her what she needs.

Indianacub74
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Indianacub74 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:35 pm

1b34dcbd-e4fa-4c35-8019-f323d8281d64photo.jpeg

This is the breather I got her

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:50 pm

Hi,
The Cub looks good in your pictures.
That is the air cleaner in your pic above.
Maybe you knew already, the air cleaner for a 1974 Cub has a shorter intake pipe above the hood.
IH started using the shorter pipe in late 1954, when the under axle exhaust came out.
The longer pipe, like yours has was used before that.
Below is the front cover of the 1965 Cub operator's manual, you can see the height of the air cleaner cap in the picture.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... ge-001.jpg

The air cleaner uses 2 short pieces of hose at each end of the metal pipe to the carburetor.
Below is a listing at TM Tractor Parts for the hose, it tells the length, 2 1/2"
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hc/865fp.htm

There should be clamps on the hoses, 2 clamps on each hose. It's possible that dust can enter the engine if there are no clamps, if the hose isn't a tight fit on the pipe. Below is a listing, you can look at the pics.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hc/035fp.htm

There shouldn't be a hitch type pin there on the governor linkage, ahead of the carburetor. The pin could get caught on things.
The pin there on the linkage uses a small cotter key. The Cub parts manual says it is 1/16" x 7/16" long.
I sent you a PM.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:42 pm

Indianacub74 wrote:
Don McCombs wrote:Nice looking tractor. Interesting shift lever.

Yeah I don't like it. It hits the seat when in 1st and 3rd. I think the shift lever is for a pan seat. But I also think the seat brackets are wrong.
When I got her she was half ass .maintained. her oil bath breather was removed and replaced with a pvc pipe and wire mesh.
But I'm slowly getting her what she needs.

Those looks like the correct seat brackets. The deluxe seat originally came with a bent shift lever.

Last edited by Don McCombs on Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Indianacub74
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Indianacub74 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:26 pm

I know something for sure isn't right about the seat brackets I'll take a picture of them and how it's mounted.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:01 pm

It looks like your shift lever is slightly bent. The shifter for the pan seat was perfectly straight and was free to spin. The shifter for the deluxe seat was bent way forward, approaching 90 degrees. It was pinned so the bend always pointed forward. A bent shifter that can spin is a real pain. If yours started out as a bent one, you can do some rebending. If yours started out as a straight one, I suggest replacing it with a proper bent one.

The seat brackets look about right to me. It does look like somebody drilled some new holes and moved the seat back quite a bit. Maybe they bent the shifter because they couldn't reach it with the seat relocated.

Indianacub74
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Indianacub74 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:22 pm

My shifter does spin and does have a bend in it. I think it was a straight shifter someone bent it fit the seat.
Or was replaced at some point in her life

Ole90633
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17701
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub Standard

Postby Ole90633 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:51 am

WooHoo “Indy74”… really nice looking ‘74 :D

Thanks for “Lucy Bell’s” pictures :hattip:

You can tell all the guys like her already :{_}:

Indianacub74
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Indianacub74 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 am

Ole90633 wrote:WooHoo “Indy74”… really nice looking ‘74 :D

Thanks for “Lucy Bell’s” pictures :hattip:

You can tell all the guys like her already :{_}:

:D thank you she runs great. I've had her for almost a year. She mowed a lot last summer and is doing garden prep this year.

Indianacub74
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Indianacub74 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:03 am

Jim Becker wrote:It looks like your shift lever is slightly bent. The shifter for the pan seat was perfectly straight and was free to spin. The shifter for the deluxe seat was bent way forward, approaching 90 degrees. It was pinned so the bend always pointed forward. A bent shifter that can spin is a real pain. If yours started out as a bent one, you can do some rebending. If yours started out as a straight one, I suggest replacing it with a proper bent one.

The seat brackets look about right to me. It does look like somebody drilled some new holes and moved the seat back quite a bit. Maybe they bent the shifter because they couldn't reach it with the seat relocated.

I will start a new topic today about the seat and shifter. And try to get plenty of pictures of them.

Indianacub74
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Indianacub74 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:08 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
The Cub looks good in your pictures.
That is the air cleaner in your pic above.
Maybe you knew already, the air cleaner for a 1974 Cub has a shorter intake pipe above the hood.
IH started using the shorter pipe in late 1954, when the under axle exhaust came out.
The longer pipe, like yours has was used before that.
Below is the front cover of the 1965 Cub operator's manual, you can see the height of the air cleaner cap in the picture.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... ge-001.jpg

The air cleaner uses 2 short pieces of hose at each end of the metal pipe to the carburetor.
Below is a listing at TM Tractor Parts for the hose, it tells the length, 2 1/2"
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hc/865fp.htm

There should be clamps on the hoses, 2 clamps on each hose. It's possible that dust can enter the engine if there are no clamps, if the hose isn't a tight fit on the pipe. Below is a listing, you can look at the pics.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hc/035fp.htm

There shouldn't be a hitch type pin there on the governor linkage, ahead of the carburetor. The pin could get caught on things.
The pin there on the linkage uses a small cotter key. The Cub parts manual says it is 1/16" x 7/16" long.
I sent you a PM.

The breather I had order off ebay was supposed to be correct one. When I got it they sent me that one. Wrong size and color. But given that it did have just pvc pipe and wire mesh as a cleaner I figured it was better.
The governor linkage was a temp fix that was over looked and forgot about it until now. Thank you.
You guys have a good eye from just 2 pictures. I like this forum because of the knowledge and effort yall put into it. Kinda wanna post pictures of every little part and let everyone run thruw it and see what's what. Like I said bad up keep on the past owners. I got it from my mom and step dadand they only had it for a few years. Je wanted something newer. My step dad is a if it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus he believes in what people tell him. Like don't change the oil filter cause then you have to prime the oil pump. :? That was a mess one of the first things I did and it was nasty. He still don't believe me that I didn't have to prime the pump.
I've also learned that ebay is a guessing game if it be right or not.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:45 pm

Hi,
The oil bath air cleaners Cubs came with work well, as far as I know. Be sure to keep clean light motor oil in the oil cup.
I don't know what kind of air cleaner the previous owner had on your Cub. Hopefully the Cub wasn't used where there was lots of dust.
The cylinder walls can wear at a fast pace if dust gets in the engine from the air cleaner being removed, or the pipe to the carburetor being disconnected.

I've hardly ever needed to prime the oil pump after changing the oil and oil filter, on several Cubs.
It isn't hard to prime the oil pump, just fill a clean pump type oil can with new engine oil, remove the oil filter cover, and filter. Pump oil into the small hole near the top of the oil filter chamber until the passage is full. Put the filter in, and the cover on before starting the engine.
Below is a pic of the hole that was on here before.
Attachments
Cub oil filter.jpg

Indianacub74
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Indianacub74 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:22 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
The oil bath air cleaners Cubs came with work well, as far as I know. Be sure to keep clean light motor oil in the oil cup.
I don't know what kind of air cleaner the previous owner had on your Cub. Hopefully the Cub wasn't used where there was lots of dust.
The cylinder walls can wear at a fast pace if dust gets in the engine from the air cleaner being removed, or the pipe to the carburetor being disconnected.

I've hardly ever needed to prime the oil pump after changing the oil and oil filter, on several Cubs.
It isn't hard to prime the oil pump, just fill a clean pump type oil can with new engine oil, remove the oil filter cover, and filter. Pump oil into the small hole near the top of the oil filter chamber until the passage is full. Put the filter in, and the cover on before starting the engine.
Below is a pic of the hole that was on here before.

I kid you not it was a pvc metal mesh taped around the end for a breather. I've been worried about that but the engine runs great. Starts right up winter and summer. Dosent really ever smoke. So I've just let it be for now. Mostly cause I don't have a garage or away to split it.
I didn't have to prime it either. I did look it up on how to.