This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil pan removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above
Circle of Safety: Y

Oil pan removal

Postby k hutchins » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:27 am

Hey everyone

Sorry to start a new topic, but when l tried to search this topic, it said "oil pan" ignored.

I have an oil leak that l've traced to a bad oil pan gasket, or a warped oil pan rim, or both. So l decided it was time before mowing season to get this fixed. However l can't get at the three bolts at the back end inside the bell housing. I've tried a few different combinations of sockets and U joint drives. I got one out, but can't get a good enough bite on the other two without stripping the head.
I'm hoping someone can offer a suggestion or techinique that works without splitting the tractor. Most of us know what a pain that is. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA
Hutch
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Re: Oil pan removal

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:05 am

I use a 1/4" ratchet, with a 6" extension, plus a special LOW PROFILE 1/2" universal socket, similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-Drive-Universal-Socket-SHD08013/dp/B07R88X3TT

Before I got that socket, I used a 1/4" universal with a 1/2" socket that I ground down for a shorter height. Worked fairly well, also.

Plus LOTS of patience. Just remember, those three screws are going into softer metal than the engine block (the bottom of the rear seal retainer) so don't use a gorilla fist on them... tight, but not tight enough to strip the holes!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:55 am

I think that I would try a wobble extension.

https://www.harborfreight.com/wobble-so ... nyEALw_wcB

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:03 am

On some of mine, I've cut a slot for an offset screwdriver. Dale's method works well.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:54 pm

k hutchins wrote:Sorry to start a new topic, but when l tried to search this topic, it said "oil pan" ignored.

Effective searching is a skill that requires practice, mainly in selecting good search terms. This site does not allow use of 3 letter words as they tend to be very common and would find too many irrelevant hits. The challenge is to think of some less common words that are likely to appear in a relevant discussion. In this case, the question comes down to thinking of words that might show up in comments about reaching those three bolts.

I decided to take a stab at it. Since you are dealing with bolts blocked by the flywheel, I tried a search for "flywheel" and "bolts". Not surprisingly, it got a lot of hits, mostly talking about bolts that hold the flywheel. It turns out that "bolts" is about as bad as "oil" for useless hits. So what word could be added to the search? The bolts go through the flange of the pan. So I tried a search for "flywheel", "bolts", and "flange". It only returned five hits. Here is the first one:
https://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105076
It is titled "oil leaking/smoking" and does address this question. Not surprisingly, some of the other four hits were about starters.

By the way, "oil pan" is often written "oilpan" so that might have been a good search term. I tried "flywheel", "bolts", and "oilpan" but it didn't work out. It only returned one hit and it wasn't useful for this question.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:48 pm

Another helpful hint, after you post, scroll down to "Similar Topics". Often times helpful posts can be found there. In this case, the first one I see is "oil pan removal", which contains a reply from Dale, with similar information as she gave in this post.

Those bolts can be fun to remove, good luck!

Oh, when reinstalling, be sure they go in straight and don't over tighten, they go into the softer material retainer.
David

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:33 pm

Thanks everyone. I bought a shallow socket set and a 1/4" drive universal. Together that worked. Not as fancy as Dale's suggestion, but it worked.
See my update on my High oil pressure thread for a complete update.

Thanks again everyone.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?: