This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Recommendations: Hydraulic Measuring Tool

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lakesurfer
Zip Code: 37167
Tractors Owned: 1970 International Cub, Lovingly restored by my epic Son-in-Law

Recommendations: Hydraulic Measuring Tool

Postby lakesurfer » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:24 pm

My TC started misbehaving, and I may try to measure hydraulic pressure (as described in the service manual) before just rebuilding the pump and/or cylinder block. Are there any *frugally priced* tool kits of acceptable quality that the mentors here might recommend for this?

Or perhaps in this case it's just not worth it and I should start by rebuilding the pump?

It's not why I posted, but I suspect someone will ask, so here's the symptom: TC was working fine. I plowed and disced a good sized garden. I had cinder blocks on the disc implement at the end. Right when I was done, the TC would no longer lift the disc implement w/o help, although it *would* hold it up in place just fine.

Answers to Legit questions I expect:
* There are no leaks.
* The TC does move the rock shaft forward and back easily with no load.
* The TC is not making any unusual noise.
* No, my crankcase does *not* appear to be filling up.
* I checked the fluid, and it was translucent, clean, and at the level of the fill port.
* I have *not* tried yet to bleed air out, but will now that another minor issue has been resolved.

Thank you.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Recommendations: Hydraulic Measuring Tool

Postby Glen » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:40 pm

Hi,
Remember to check the Touch Control fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, like the Cub operator's manual says.
The fluid rises in the unit as the arms go to the rear. If you fill it with the arms ahead, it will have too much fluid in it.
A funnel with a flexible tube works good for putting fluid in the Touch Control.
Below is a listing for a funnel with a flexible tube at NAPA, this is just an example. I asked at NAPA, and he said the thing at the end of the tube comes off, I think it would need to come off to put the end of the tube into the hole in the Touch Control. :)
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_8212733
Last edited by Glen on Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tractorpoor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27530
Tractors Owned: 26 Cubs (49-79)
Farmall 130
Kabota B7500
NH TC45

Postby tractorpoor » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:49 pm

Do you have the helper spring for the fast hitch installed?

lakesurfer

Postby lakesurfer » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:08 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
Remember to check the Touch Control fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position

Yes sir. I complied with that requirement.

lakesurfer

Postby lakesurfer » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:10 pm

tractorpoor wrote:Do you have the helper spring for the fast hitch installed?

Yes, when using the implements I did. I took it off to better access the fluid port on the cylinder block.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:17 pm

Did the lifting problem happen gradually, like maybe getting worse as it got hotter? Or did it happen all at once, like something happened at one time?

lakesurfer

Postby lakesurfer » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:27 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Did the lifting problem happen gradually, like maybe getting worse as it got hotter? Or did it happen all at once, like something happened at one time?

All at once, Jim. It conveniently manifested right after the work was complete and I was about to head home for another implement.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:25 pm

All at once suggests the pressure control valve has quit functioning. This usually shows up as a total shutdown of the system. The rockshaft won't even move with no load. There is a small orifice with an orifice screen in the system. A small bit of trash in the orifice or the screen can shut things down. I suggest that you remove and clean these parts before deciding on more drastic steps.

The orifice can be accessed through the Touch-Control head. Unfortunately, to reach it you need to get the rear tank support out of the way. Then you remove a pipe plug in the head. Details can be found scattered through this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112567

lakesurfer

Postby lakesurfer » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:49 pm

Jim Becker wrote:All at once suggests the pressure control valve has quit functioning. This usually shows up as a total shutdown of the system. The rockshaft won't even move with no load. There is a small orifice with an orifice screen in the system. A small bit of trash in the orifice or the screen can shut things down. I suggest that you remove and clean these parts before deciding on more drastic steps.

Awesome, Jim. Does this look like what you are describing to me? (I attached a diagram of the TC cylinder head with the "pressure regulator check valve" and associated parts highlighted)
Attachments
TC_Cylinder_Head_Reduced-highlighted.jpg

lakesurfer

Postby lakesurfer » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:55 pm

Jim Becker wrote:There is a small orifice with an orifice screen in the system.

[To myself] Read more carefully, Joe!

I followed the thread you referenced and see that what I now think you mean is item #32 in the diagram I submitted: the Orifice plug w/ screen.

Now do I understand correctly?

If so, do I further correctly understand that the orifice screen can be serviced w/o removing the cylinder head? [Edited]: You wrote in the other thread that it is accessed through a "pipe plug in the head". So, yes.

Epic. Thank you.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:36 pm

Yes you have it now. References 41-48 are the valve. It is controlled by a small flow through number 32. You service 32 through the pipe plug without removing the head. You don't even need a gasket to do this. It is just a bit of a pain to get the tank support out of the way.

lakesurfer

Postby lakesurfer » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:39 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Yes you have it now. References 41-48 are the valve. It is controlled by a small flow through number 32. You service 32 through the pipe plug without removing the head. You don't even need a gasket to do this. It is just a bit of a pain to get the tank support out of the way.

Amazing, Jim. Would be super sweet if all it turns out to be is this. Thank you!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:30 pm

Hi,
Below is a picture from TM Tractor Parts of the rear of the Touch Control.
The plug to remove is a little below half way down the head, and a little to the left of the middle.
If you remove the dash, while you are there, you could check the Touch Control head bolt torque, if you have a torque wrench.
The Cub service manual says tighten the bolts to 45 ft lbs. It says tighten them evenly.
Attachments
Cub T C.jpg

lakesurfer

Postby lakesurfer » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:20 pm

Thank you, Glen. I will take your advice.

lakesurfer

Postby lakesurfer » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:09 am

I pulled out the "orifice plug with screen" and found it to be clean, and undamaged. I blew it out vigorously with brake cleaner, both through the screen and through the orifice and let it dry before reinstalling it.

Then I put everything back together so it could run and I could perform the air purging procedure. Once again, the level was correct when the hydraulics were "down", and the fluid was clean. I ran the TC back and forth more than 20 times with the filler cap off to get any air out, the reinstalled the cap.

For a load test, I connected the 8-disc plough to the fast hitch. There was NO helper spring this time, b/c I had to remove it to get to stuff. Now the TC raises and lowers the implement, but jerks on the way up and *really* jerks on the way back down. The control is NOT smooth.

I am going to do some RTM but am open to the wisdom of this group. -Joe