This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Replace Oil pan gasket

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
marshall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01012
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub

Replace Oil pan gasket

Postby marshall » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:11 am

I'm at oil-change time and want to take care of all the seepage I see around the top of the oil pan by installing a new gasket.
Once I've drained out the old oil, my plan is to just remove the bolts holding the pan in and putting in the new gasket. Is there anything else I should be aware of or take care of while doing this? I'm using 3 qts of SAE 30 oil to refill and a Fram C235 filter on this 50 cub. Meanwhile, I've got some Sea Foam marinating in the carburetor...

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Replace Oil pan gasket

Postby Barnyard » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:38 am

Use caution when retightening the three rear bolts. They go through the rear main seal and can easily strip the seal threads.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Replace Oil pan gasket

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:58 am

Read this thread before starting…. viewtopic.php?t=116475

While you have the pan off, flatten the flange around the top edge of the pan to ensure a good mating surface for the gasket. Clean off any residual gasket material on the engine casting and the flange with a putty knife. Coat one side of the gasket with Indian Head Shellac or similar sealant. Apply the sealant side of the gasket to the pan flange and let it cure for an hour or so. While you’re waiting, check the condition of the oil pump for debris and/or sludge. Use spray carb cleaner to clean up the pump screen. When you’re ready to install the pan, coat the top side of the gasket with sealant. You don’t need to go crazy, just a thin coat. Reinstall all bolts finger tight. Then snug them up, one at a time, alternating around the pan. Don’t tighten them too tight, as this will crush the gasket and deform the flange. Wipe off any sealant that has oozed out. Reinstall the drain plug. Let things cure for an hour or two before filling with oil. After you have run the engine to get it hot, recheck the tightness of the bolts.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor