This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub leaking from TC manifold block

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
GribbleFarms
Zip Code: 37801

Cub leaking from TC manifold block

Postby GribbleFarms » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:21 pm

Farmall Cub leaking from manifold block? The block that bolts to the bottom of TC with three bolts and has two allen screws in it. Got this Cub for free and probably hasn't ran in 20+ years. Got it running by replacing condensor and filing points, had a horrible radiator leak where the lower radiator housing had a hairline crack in it. Repaired the radiator housing by brazing it, installed a new radiator, got it running decent enough and now trying to get the hydraulics going. Topped off the fluid with Hy Tran and when starting fluid came spitting out of the top of the manifold block that bolts on to the bottom of TC. Before no hydraulic operation whatsoever so I assume this was a problem beforehand. Has a C2 belly mower mounted on it that's just chained up to the underside not hooked to the rockshaft. I want to get it in decent enough shape where I could just putt around on it and clip some pasture but at this point I've about given up on it. Probably $3-350 into it, in my area you can get one in a lot better shape for around 1k and I also have multiple tractors available to use this was just a weekend hobby project. Should I go forward and buy a gasket for the manifold block? The exhaust is a rear dump as well so I may have to either remove it to completely get the block off and mating surfaces cleaned and probably remove the other end with the two bolts that mounts to the front side of the engine. Just looking for advice on how I should move forward or just leave well enough alone at least it runs and drives. :lost:

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub leaking from TC manifold block

Postby Glen » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:45 pm

Hi,
I would replace the gasket, if that is what is leaking, so the system is sealed like it should be.
Don't run the engine with low or no fluid in the Touch Control system, it can damage the pump. The pump has the have the fluid for lubrication.
It isn't hard to replace the gasket.
If the Cub has the under axle exhaust system, you may have to loosen it from the elbow at the front of the pipe, and the U clamp at the muffler, to get to the 3 bolts at the upper end of the tubes.
Remove the 2 bolts holding the front of the tubes to the pump to remove the tubes. The pump has 2 o rings there to seal the tubes to it.
TM Tractor Parts at the bottom of the page has a new gasket, and o rings for the tubes.
Below is their page of Touch Control parts, the gasket and o rings are down the page at row 5 of the parts. You can look at the pictures.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/hy_001newparts.htm

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub operator's manual, telling how to fill, and remove the air from the system, if you don't have the info.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... e%2064.jpg

Be sure to fill it the last time with the arms in the rear or down position. The fluid rises in the system as the arms go to the rear. If you fill it with the arms ahead, it will be overfilled. :)

GribbleFarms

Postby GribbleFarms » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:21 pm

Glen, thanks for the advice. I just came in and cut a cardboard gasket for it and got it operating. Couldn't or didn't want to wait on a gasket to see if it would work or not. Anyone going forward try cutting your own before you order or while you're waiting on shipment to try! Will post some pics of it on here just showing you what kind of shape it is in. Missing a lot of the hood bolts and so I've got it fastened on temporarily at the moment with zip ties, yeah its hacked but it was also free like I said.

GribbleFarms

Postby GribbleFarms » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:27 pm

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:05 am

Some people on here make their own gaskets. You can make the gasket for the upper end of the Touch Control tubes from some medium thickness gasket material.
The Cub looks like one of the newest style Cubs, if it has the original hood and grille.
They call them a Longstripe Cub on here. They have a long stripe on both sides of the hood.
They were made from mid 1975 - 1979. The Longstripe Cubs began at serial number 248125.
I sent you a PM, you get to it at the top of the page.