This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Starts and Run for 20 seconds or so, then dies

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tom CA Cub '49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub Starts and Run for 20 seconds or so, then dies

Postby Tom CA Cub '49 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:08 pm

Hello folks, seems I'm back again looking for some help with my 1949 Farmall Cub tractor. I have had this tractor for about 25 years or so and it has always been a good starter and a reliable tractor. I use it primarly with a front-mounted scraper blade to keep the weeds from getting out of control in the back of our property. Recently, however, I have run into some problems. I can get the tractor to start, and to run for about 20 seconds or so, then it dies. My first thought was a gas problem, so I made sure the gas line was clear and, in the process, ended up replacing the sediment bowl assembly (I broke off the old one trying to remove it). I also replaced the spark plugs with a fresh set, replaced the carburetor, and also the gas cap (tall style, vented). Still have the same problem. So I've been searching the net for more information since I clearly have not identified and fixed the original problem. One thread I found suggested the problem is likely the distributor coil (which has never been replaced by me at least). But the coil on my tractor doesn't look like anything I've see online when searching for a replacement. Mine is rectangular in shape.
Coil.jpg

Any information you might be able to provide me on the problem I'm having with my tractor, or my distributor coil, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Starts and Run for 20 seconds or so, then dies

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:37 pm

Did you remove and clean the main jet in the carb? With the jet out you can check for constant gas flow. A bad coil usually stops a tractor running after it gets hot (20-30 min of running time).
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:02 pm

you do not have a distributor, you have a magneto, check condition and points gap, .013, coil is internal under the square cap

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:10 am

Hi,
The Cub has a magneto, like tst said above. The coil is different than a coil for a Battery Ignition unit, or cars used in the past.
Below is a listing for a new coil from TM Tractor Parts, at the bottom of the page. You can look at the pics, it is a specially shaped coil. I'm not saying you need a new one, the pics are so you can see what it is.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/713fp.htm

You didn't say what carburetor you put on the Cub, new or used.
Some of the new replacement IH style carbs have problems that need fixing, the float height may need setting. Some of them need a small hole drilled inside them, that was not done when they were made. There have been pics of it on here before.

The main jet in the IH carburetor is the 6 sided brass colored thing like a bolt head, low on the side of the carb.
Below are pics of cleaning it. Use a small wire in the hole in the end of it, and then wash it with carburetor cleaner. Wear your safety goggles when using spray carburetor cleaner.
It should have a gasket on it, if the gasket is old, they sometimes don't seal if you try to reuse it.
TM Tractor Parts has a new gasket if you need it.
Tighten it gently, the jet can break if overtightened.
There is a small screen at the gas inlet to the carburetor, it may need cleaning. Be careful tightening everything on the carb, they are soft metal, and threads can strip if overtightened.
The 2nd pic below, from TM Tractor Parts, shows the screen. :)
Attachments
Cub jet.jpg
Cub carb 7.jpg
Cub carb 7.jpg (12.83 KiB) Viewed 293 times

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:39 am

Tom CA Cub '49 wrote:I can get the tractor to start, and to run for about 20 seconds or so, then it dies.
When started, how does the tractor run? Rough, surge, smooth, miss?

How long after the 20 second run time before you can restart the engine?

The engine start and 20 second run time has me puzzled. Carburetor float set to low and just a trickle of fuel into the carb will provide a very short run time.

Have you checked for spark at the plugs after the tractor dies? 3rd or 4th down the possible list is the magneto coil breaking down.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Tom CA Cub '49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tom CA Cub '49 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:48 am

Thank you all for this very helpful information. I plan to get to work on this today. The carburetor is a new one that I bought on ebay. I was hoping, with a new carburetor, it would solve the problem but it did not. The tractor runs smooth, no misses, for 20 seconds or so, then dies, and can be started right up again after that. When I replaced the sediment bowl assembly, I cleaned the gas tank out to the best of my ability but I'm thinking now there may have been some dirt, etc. that clogs up the main jet. I will clean that out first and see if that helps. Also the carburetor float set too low may be the culprit as well, so I will check that out as well. I'll let you all know how this works out and thanks again.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:31 pm

Put a spark test light on one of the plug wires. Start engine, keeping an eye on the spark test light. If light goes out while the engine is still revolving - magneto.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:17 pm

Read this about carbs from eBay…

CHINESE REPRO CARBURETORS FROM EBAY.pdf
(209.2 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Tom CA Cub '49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tom CA Cub '49 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:30 pm

Ok, here is a quick update. Pulled the carburetor, adjusted the float which was set too low, and also ensure main jet was clean (it is). Reinstalled carburetor but still no go. Also, when I use starter fluid, spraying it into the carburetor right after I start the tractor, I can keep the tractor going as long as I keep spraying. So that tells me I have a gasoline problem, but so far I have not identified the exact reason why the tractor will not keep running. The hunt continues ....

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:54 pm

Did you open the carb and check for the hole in Don's post?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:43 pm

What type of fuel line are you running? All metal as it was originally or rubber with an inline filter?
There are several threads on here about rubber lines breaking down due to ethanol gas and then clogging the filters or the screens leading into the carb as Glen pointed out.
I would take apart your old carb, make sure everything in it is clean and adjusted properly, and reinstall it. Double check the choke valve. It actually sounds to me like it's either choking out due to lack of air, or dying due to lack of fuel.
When l've had magneto coils go bad, it would run for a half hour to an hour then die. Also you'd have to wait a half hour or more to restart it.

Good luck.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Tom CA Cub '49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tom CA Cub '49 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:52 pm

Here is another update. Yes, I opened the carb and found, as Don pointed out, that the hole was not drilled out. So, I carefully drilled it out and that's all set. The gas line is copper and I have no inline filter. I know inline filters can be helpful but honestly I think they end up being more trouble than they are worth in the long run. I think you have it right when you say that "It actually sounds to me like it's either choking out due to lack of air, or dying due to lack of fuel." I think that's what's happening. Will let you know how this goes. :)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:53 pm

Make sure you didn't cross the throttle and choke linkages.

Tom CA Cub '49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tom CA Cub '49 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:39 pm

Gentlemen, I am happy to report my Farmall Cub tractor is up and running! There is no doubt I could not have got it back running without all of your invaluable help and advice. Once again, the Farmall Cub Forum has saved the day! Thank you all so very much. All the best, Tom

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:56 pm

Okay, what was the fix?