This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

spark tachometer

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
doug v
10+ Years
10+ Years

spark tachometer

Postby doug v » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:50 am

I bought a electronic tachometer/houmeter from Northern Tool mailorder-it has a sensor lead that is supposed to wrap around the spark plug wire. When it arrived, it said its for 1 or 2 cylinder engines-of course the catalog didn't mention that! If I put it around any given spark plug, I figure it would only show 1/4 of the actual revs since each plug fires once in 4 revs; however, if I put it on the hi tension lead between coil and distrbutor, it should show true engine revs- 1 spark per rev? Is my logic right or should I just return the dang thing. Thanks! DV

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:02 am

Sounds like it would work like that to me. It would then think that the engine is a one lunger? Let us know how it works!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:30 am

It will either:

1) work correctly on a plug wire and show 4x on the coil wire.
or
2) show 1/2 speed on a plug wire and 2x on the coil wire.

It depends on whether the tach is intended for an engine that throws away a spark at the end of each exhaust stroke.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:50 am

Doug,

The engine fires TWICE on each revolution. Each cylinder fires EVERY OTHER revolution. This will help you figure the RPM correctly.

As Jim said in different words, many single cylinder engines have a spark on every revolution simply because it's more difficult not to. In that case, only the one at the end of the compression stroke is useful.

Chances are that the tack will work but will read double actual speed on the coil wire.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:49 am

You must have purchased the Tiny Tach. They are common on most newer equipment. My mower has one. Also for yrs now electronic ignitions fire on every stroke including automotive wether its ditributless type or not. Thats because the reference pulse is taken from the crank. Its most likely reading half rpm on the plug. Its would be easy to check however since high idle is approx. 1600 on a Cub and I've found that to be true within 100rpm most of the time.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:45 pm

Jim Becker wrote:It will either:

or

It depends on whether the tach is intended for an engine that throws away a spark at the end of each exhaust stroke.

So, in the event of case #2, if you wrapped the wire around say, both #1 and #2 plug wires, where they come out of the distributor, it may in fact work correctly, if the induction pickup wire is long enough.

Just an idea...... :shock:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:12 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:It will either:

or

So, in the event of case #2, if you wrapped the wire around say, both #1 and #2 plug wires, where they come out of the distributor, it may in fact work correctly, if the induction pickup wire is long enough.

Just an idea...... :shock:

That would be worth a try. I would try using 1, 4 or 2, 3. That way the pulses to the tach are evenly spaced. Also, if wrapping 2 plug wires together causes an inductive cross fire, the induced spark won't cause a problem (other than the energy it bleeds off the plug that is supposed to be firing).

doug v
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby doug v » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:38 am

thanks for everyone's wisdom, i'll try it this weekend and post results- thanks

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:30 pm

I have an older version of that, and it was a total waste of money, readings were very inconsitant. hope your wokrs better.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!