This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help with planter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Help with planter

Postby Daniel H. » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:55 pm

Has anyone used a planter like this before?

It is a Cole and it is factory one-point hitch. I am having trouble getting it to work consistently. Often, the wheels will come off the ground, and the planter will miss several feet in the row. I have tried many adjustments, but I can't seem to get it right. I also have tried going very slow with the planter as well. It seems as thought there is not enough down pressure on the rear wheels. I have the manual for the current Cole 12MX, but my hitch is different, and the manual doesn't help. Thanks for suggestions. If anyone has a copy of a manual for tis older style, please let me know.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:07 pm

I have have no experience with that planter. However I clearly see your problem. That unit will have to float on the ground under its own weight in order to make continous contact. I'm not familiar with the fast hitch but its needs to have a mechanical float ability (probably) to make that unit work. Most emplements that trail behind a 3pt have the same issue that in order to work correctly they need to self draft. Otherwise they are constantly either too high or too low.

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

planter

Postby brichter » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:18 pm

Daniel, I have almost the same planter. Mine was designed for a small 3 point hitch garden tractor but I have rigged it for my cub. The only difference I see is my fertilizer hopper is chain driven from the wheel where yours has the shaft with the gears. If the ground is prepared and level I don't have any problems. You really have to keep the gears lubed and loose and the wheel turning or you will have lots of skips in; your rows.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:13 pm

I think WK set you on the right track. The lift link that runs from the Touch-Control rockshaft back to the Fast-Hitch rockshaft has a collar with a set screw. Loosen it and slide it forward on the link to let the hitch float. The weight of the hitch itself will provide some down pressure on the planter.

One other thing I notice about your planter is that the runner has gauge shoes that control planting depth. They should control the vertical position of the runner. If the ground is very uneven, the press/drive wheel will need to float relative to the runner. Is there some type of pivot built into the planter frame that may be pinned solid or otherwise disabled?

You also need to make sure the planter is running at the right pitch so the runner and press wheel are both putting enough pressure on the ground. The vertical bar with the adjustment holes will affect this as will the front depth adjustment of the fast-Hitch.

If you can't set adjuctments to keep the runner at the right depth and the press wheel on the ground, maybe the ground needs some more smoothing before you plant.