This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear Carrier question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:21 pm

Daniel that is some very useful info ,that would be great if we could get a copy of that manual onto the cub server.that is also great info on the weights , one correction though the 2 pieces of split front weights are actually the same just reversed if you look at em turn the other one around and look they are identical , thats why there is only 1 part #, i still think we should get one and send it to be casted , there are several places near me that can do it i just need a weight so it can be copied , another thought if i could just get the dim on the half piece i could make one out of wood as a model to be copied for the casting to take place :?: any one have one i coud copy or borrow , pleeeeeaaassse
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

t jackson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21157
Circle of Safety: Y

2 piece weights

Postby t jackson » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:53 pm

you still need only one weight to make 4 all 4 are exactly the same just check and u will see each has one tooth and one recess
Last edited by t jackson on Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:53 pm

Rudi,

This information is from the Cub owners manual I have. My manual is newer than the one you have as it is for the Cub and Cub lo-boy. The ballasting information is in a section called "OPERATING THE FAST-HITCH", and calls out the utility carrier as a specific example. The manual is a reprint of 1 014 031 R1 from Binder Books. Sorry, I don't have a manual for the carrier.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:33 pm

I do have a problem with my cubs coming up in the front, especially if I'm headed up hill (it shortens the length of the lever [being the length of the tractor ahead of the rear axle] effectively) and also if I'm running with a rear mounted implement raised, like the two-way plow or a lift-disc. My own weight being just slightly rearward of the center of the rear axle doesn't help either.

When heading straight up a steep hill, or plowing or discing, the fronts like to come off the ground quite a bit, actually. (don't tell me not to go up a steep hill, I live on a hillside...it's inevitable). Putting one set of front weights on helps a lot, actually, and in winter, when the front blade is on, it virtually eliminates the problem.

I actually don't see why three sets of outside weights could not be used in special circumstances. They would be somewhat challenging to mount, but not impossible, since each weight is only 25 lbs. Traditionally the number was limited to two sets, because of the bolting pattern, so you would not have to hold a weight while you bolted another one on. I think it could be managed, however.

Since Rick Prentice made me a nifty new carry-all, I may, in fact, delve into the possibility of adding additional front weights to my 48 cub, as I certainly intend to use it quite a bit, and the addition of the pallet forks will make counterweights all the more necessary.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:52 pm

Daniel:

Ok, thanks for the info. I will check Larry's Manual.. (yes buddy.. I am getting it done -- but it is going slowly.. so much to do, and such a slow body to do it all with :!: :arrow: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: ) and see if it is in his edition. If so then it will be up on the server soon....

Now on to the front end coming up.

I have the front wheel weights, and even with that, and prudence, Ellie sometimes likes to play horsey.... and up comes the front. Usually it is because I may have let the clutch slip a bit.. but if there is lots of weight on the back, she does come up on her rears a bit.. scarey yes.. and dangerous.. probably if it becomes to much of a rise...

The extra inside weights seem like a good idea. I sure would like to find a pair... and I am sure Bruce would cast em if I do..... they would be lead, but still weight it weight.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship