This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrolysis tank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46970
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub 1940 H

Electrolysis tank

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:14 pm

Is there a specific size of rod to use in the tank? I have 1/2 inch round stock that I would like to use . Big enough? Also , do the rods touch the bottom of the tank? Thanks , Mike
Mike's 49 Cub

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:09 pm

The size really doesn't matter Mike. But the more surface area there is, the better it will work. As far as touching the bottom - as the sediment builds up, it might eventually be a factor and become less efficient. But the critical issue is to make sure that the item being de-rusted does not come into direct contact with the rods.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:09 pm

Thanks Big Dog, one more question -- I have my tank setup for 16 rods, is that overkill ?
Mike's 49 Cub

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:15 pm

Sounds OK to me.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:18 pm

Mike:

Out of curiosity, how big is the tank :?: :?: Pics :?: :?:

Also , do the rods touch the bottom of the tank?

As BD said, if the rods do touch the bottom of the tank and mix in with the sediment will result in slight degradation of the efficiency of the unit. Combined with build-up on the electrodes (rods), you will be able to see the efficiency degrade by observing the drop in amperage.

This can be alleviated simply by doing 2 things.

1. Lift the rods out of the sediment.. use a couple large aligator clips or the battery cable clips to keep the rods suspended.

2. Clean the electrodes regularly.. when you see the amperage drop by 50%.. it is definitely time to clean the rods. You can do this doing what I do, which is to use a twisted wire cup brush on my 4-1/2" angle grinder. Takes about 5 minutes for my 5 re-bars and the chain for the anode. Or you can try reversing the polarity as has been suggested. (I want to try this at some point this summer)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:07 pm

Rudi, I have a 55 gallon plastic drum. I haven't figured out how to post pictures Tried it once and it didn't work so I just haven't gotten back to try again. Right now I'm just accumulating material so when I get my roofing done I can get going with out much delay. This just sounds so much better than a sandblaster.
Mike's 49 Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:56 pm

Mike:

Have a look at the tanks on the server... for a 55 US gallon or 45 Imperial Gallon tank.. which is what I used.. there is no way I can see where you will fit 16 rods into the tank unless you lay it down. In which case.. it is going to be a difficult build I would think, as you would need a cradle of some sort.

5 or 6 1/2" rods should suffice. Keep the extras for replacement rods when you use up the originals.. and you will use em up.. I am almost ready to replace 3 of the smaller diameter re-bars I have..

Btw.. :!: :arrow: :shock: you don't need the little dolly like I have..... And you don't need the drain setup either.. you can do what I used to do.. just push it over on it's side to empty it. However, I built mine before my heart attack and resulting bypass surgery, and I was having difficulty and having angina episodes whenever I tried to tip it over.. that is why I put it on the dolly with the drain.. a lot easier. And it has proved it's worth time and again in the period since. Very easy to move around and store for the winter when I am not using it.. I get carried away with my projects and tend to go overboard a bit.. but hey that is just me..... I like things neat and tidy.. must be the Navy part of me... :roll: :roll: :wink: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:41 am

Rudi, my tank looks just like yours. I'll take a picture of it and email it to you.
Mike's 49 Cub